AIM 5.1 Outlook Integration?

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

leptontec
Just Registered
Just Registered

AIM 5.1 Outlook Integration?

Post by leptontec »

Has anyone figurred out how AIM 5.1 beta integrates into Outlook Express as it claims it does on AIM's beta download page:
Outlook Express Integration
-See Your AOL Instant Messenger Buddy List within Microsoft Outlook Express
-Send IM's directly from Outlook Express
I have the latest versions of everything, and I when I open Outlook Express, I don't see any difference. I can't find any option inside AIM either. Thanks.
leptontec
Just Registered
Just Registered

Well that's stupid...

Post by leptontec »

So it appears that your buddy list just shows up in the "Contact" list of Outlook express, and you can double-click on someone's name to open an IM to them. I guess I was looking for something...useful. This really doesn't do any good at all.
sn0n
Addict
Addict

Post by sn0n »

well.. actually.. its very nice.. not to often these days people use outlook express.. due to the 'desktop reality' that it takes up with running aim and outlook express... and tha fact that IM is faster.. but.. this makes 'offline messaging' that much closer.. basically.. and its very good for 'boss walking by syndrom' ;-)
DarkRaven05
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by DarkRaven05 »

About AIM in Outlook....I actually think it's a little annoying, but the feature for some reason doesn't turn off when I tell it to. Just a little opinion lol. But if you really want it, the option to turn it on and off should be under Options in Outlook.
I know a dead parrot when I see one.
Hedgie

Post by Hedgie »

Can this feature be used to send IM's to multiple recipients?
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

i think i know whats going on here.....

AIM is getting closer and closer to being mail compatible.

As some of you know, if you have an AIM name, you now have a netscape mail account. its your_screenname@netscape.com
or something very similar. I jumped onto this one day when i saw when you right click a name in your BL, it gives you the option to email the buddy.... now in some of the older versions of AIM, it will get the email from the comment thing you store in it, but one version of AIM i was using actually let me email anyone on my BL to their_SN@netscape.com

and thats when i found out even i have a netscape email account, lol

so thats whats going on with the outlook i think.... theyre about to pull this off in the next few versions im guessing.

**sometimes i amaze myself with the way i think, lol**

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

correct me if i missed something, but isn't this a feature already?
Prouderesterest Moderator of the Schwippy.com forums.
Look! I can make an egg stand up on the first day of spring and winter! Can you? :D
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

is it?

(dont know, dont use aim and outlook together)

so can you email to a buddy directly from outlook? cause thats aparently what the point is... but do they have it that way yet?

punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

it is a feature already in AIM 5.x. Once you sign on, open up Outlook Express and all of your Buddies appear in the Contacts section of Outlook. I guess you can set e-mail addresses for those buddies and just e-mail them when you want to.
Look! I can make an egg stand up on the first day of spring and winter! Can you? :D
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

What I want to know is why Micro$oft has that feature even built into Outlook Express while using AIM 5.x

Is AOL and M$ collaborating in a joint venture ?? That would really suck.

I've been saying all along, M$ and AOL are gonna take over the world. And now I just found out that Wal-Mart is also becoming a monopoly itself. Wal-Mart in my region just bought out some company, they now control like 55% of the grocery market. Hmm... :-?
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

wow that blows Wal-Mart sux.... its gonna go out of business here b/c of the new SUPER TARGET so ya :evil:
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

PCSoCcER03 wrote:wow that blows Wal-Mart sux.... its gonna go out of business here b/c of the new SUPER TARGET so ya :evil:
Super Target?? Hahah.. competition going on everywhere. No Super Targets where I live :) But I really dont care much for those stores..to crowded..to big. (But ok..enough of OFF TOPIC discussion...Lets talk about the Outlook integration with AIM)
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

xWastedMindx wrote:What I want to know is why Micro$oft has that feature even built into Outlook Express while using AIM 5.x ..............
well, im pretty sure it doesnt have anything to do with M$.... pretty much any program can write its way into Outlook and put names into the thingy. I think outlook was made that way with programs like AIM in mind.

punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

AOL and Microsoft? That's a scary thought...
"Together, we can rule the world!" Heh.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

punkster103 wrote:AOL and Microsoft? That's a scary thought...
"Together, we can rule the world!" Heh.
Nah, it would be AOL-Time Warner-Microsoft. ;) *shiver*