'Messenger Service' Spam

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

jester22c

Post by jester22c »

whosurdaddy wrote:any other kewl stuff you can tell me? :P 8)
Can and Will are two entirely different things...
:D
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

whosurdaddy wrote:any other kewl stuff you can tell me?
*cough* Script kiddies *cough*
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

ok.... im probably making a HUGE mistake by going into this, but what im gonna do is try to explain some ameture stuff about things like netsend here.......

use this information at your own risk though, cause if your caught..... youll be accused of being a script kiddie :D

hahaha...... anyways......

BASIC NET SEND techniques

lets start with netsend. we already what what it does, it sends messages across networks using the messenger SERVICE on win 2000 machines (and XP and NT). And yes its a service that is being run. The thing is, its turned ON at install time, so if the administrator wants it iff, he usually has to turn it off himself. Thats why this usually works almost 99% of the time.

(just to let it be said here, t0ne, NO, you can NOT do this from a Win 98 machine.... it has to be either XP or 2000 or NT)

Now.... lets say your on a network of computers of say one classroom. About 30 computers all hooked together on one workgroup. Now, you can use netsend in a couple ways. You can send a message to any of these computers by using the numerous IP addresses a machine uses (ie: 10.0.0.1 or 198.0.0.1 or 207.0.0.1) or you can use the actuall computer NAME. This is the name of the computer on the workgroup. You can get this name from looking at the properties of 'My Computer' from the desktop. Or you can ALSO send a message to the local name of the user on the computer. This would be the name that that person signs on woth to that machine. Sometimes people have maybe a specific account that they are givin and they always use that to sign into a computer from any computer. Example: at my old high school, our user name was our Student ID number. So in that sense you can just find the user name of a person and have a two way chat with him/her.

Now those are the ways you can send the message. But i also found out one day that the 'net' program (yes it is an individual program... the 'send' part is an extension of net. If ya wanna see what else net can do, just type net into a command prompt. Theres a lot of intrusive.. err, interesting things you can do with NET)........ anyways.... i found out you can use DOS style operatives and syntax. Therefor, you can use an asterix to send to a whole domain.

So lets say you have your network of 30 computers. If you were to type in net send 10.0.0.1 hi it would send a message to the computer with that ip a message of "hi". But substitute an asterix in place of the computer name/IP, like so - net send * hi - and whats going to happen is you are going to send the message "hi" to the whole subdomain (ie, your classroom) of computers. So EVERY computer on here will recieve this "hi" on their screen.

So with that, mass chaos is emminent :D

And another factor, if your 'classroom' is in line with other classrooms, your going to be sending this message to EVERY computer in your school. So DO NOT send this to * without reading below!! (dont get carried away yet :wink: )

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

Advanced NET SEND techniques

Ok, you read the above section. Now, lets go into a few other things. Look at this image.
This is a regular netsend message that was sent to my laptop from my server. My laptop's computer name is 'laptop' and my server's computer name is 'brian' respectivly. As you can see from the pic, number 1 is the always displayed in any net send message. Any message you get will tell you where it was sent from. (this can be spoofed though, but well talk about that later.) So dont think that your completely safe to just send a net send * hi kind of message and get away with it. This is how i got caught.... i was stupid and just typed in 'net send * yo' without thinking and next thing i know, heres the principal coming into my room.

What happened was, at the time, out computer names were set with "room number-computer number" so my comp # was 200-13. Room 200, computer 13. And that is what was put in the number 1 part of the netsend message. So it wasnt hard for people to figure it out.

After getting kicked out of school for a few days (for 'malicious network hacking', lmao), i was writing a program to do this net send automatically. It was pretty simplistic at the time. I even put it up on my webpage for people in my class to download so i could chat with them. (It was for the people that didnt know how to do it the command prompt way)

If you want a compiled way and easy interface, then visit

the 'ChatMan' website here.

But this is just a regular program that does the same stuff you can do in a command prompt.
As you can see, i just threw together a quick webpage in frontpage, lol.... i was planning on updating it, but ehh.... oh well :)

Anyways, yes you can put an asterix in the 'Computer number to send to' field and have the same effect.

Now, about the number 2 filed of the above picture. When you send to the whole network, its going to show up on their screen as their computer. So to them, it just looks like you sent a message to them only.

If you dont want to have your computer name seen, you CAN spoof it. Its not very easy, but it is possible. I also made a program for this. Heres a screenshot.

With this, you can change the name of the number 1 field in the top picture to anything you want. This isnt quite the easiest thing to explain, and im not gonna get into how. But i think that from this point you all can have a little bit more fun with your netsend experience, lol.

On a lighter note, Whats cool about netsend is you can use it in any command drivin interface. This includes the 'scheduled tasks' part of windows :) What im about to do is as soon as my class in college is out for the semester im going to add a netsend JOB file to every computer in the network. It can be done from the network neighborhood quite easily. Im gonna make every computer send a message to every computer in the entire schoolwide campus once every minute for 23 hours and 59 minutes every day. Therefore, i can insert an add to my website, lol, or anything else in there and EVERY computer would get about 300 messages every minute and it would totally jam stuff up or stuff. People dont realize you can run local commands by using the scheduled programs manager :) lol.... anyways...... i dont think i should be talking about this in here, lol.... :wink: have fun with uir net send information.

-Brian

whosurdaddy

Post by whosurdaddy »

thats awesome, thanx a lot. i dont know how much i can do, seeing as im in HS not college, so i dont have my own comp on the network, and these comps have a lot of restrictions on them, and most things just completely taken off. i can get by most of them, but they almost completely have the command prompt blocked :x , and they have it blocked thru the master computer on the prompt, so i cant do anything with it. but what you said about not having to do it from the command prompt, i might have to try that. :lol: i dont think i have much to worry about, cuz most of the teachers dont even know how to start up the computer, and i doubt the software teacher could find out. i just dont get how it would be considered hacking when its right there. o well. thanx for your help

oh, and by the way, let me know how that mass net send thing goes :wink:
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

whosurdaddy wrote:i just dont get how it would be considered hacking when its right there. o well.
It wouldn't really be considered "hacking."
Matt

Post by Matt »

no..its not considered hacking as you arent getting files off other peoples computers or anything of the sort...

i tryed it out at school...my school is so outdated that about 50% of the comps there have win 95 and prolly 30% have win 98...which is why when i got on a 2k machine and did it, no one cared...the only person who saw it was prolly the comp tech and he doesnt care. it was fun though
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

lol in my C++ my teacher is smart as shit and i was tryin to do and she was like were on win98 it wont work...but oh well
tone
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

whosurdaddy wrote:any other kewl stuff you can tell me? :P 8)
Ya... If your at school you probably can not change the computer name... and if each computer has a diffrent name they can trace you.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
ashtray
Addict
Addict

Post by ashtray »

yeah those messages can be a serious pain in the ass. someone on my campus uses that to advertise for diplomas from unaccredited universities... "get your masters of computer science if just two days! no classes or tests neccesary! just send $49.99 to the address below!"
riiiight well when i discovered this, i took advantage of it to scare the bejeezus out of one of my friends that lives in the room next door. i changed the name of my computer to 'admin' and sent him a message saying that he was consuming excessive bandwith and his internet connection would be shut down (thats happened before.) then a little while later i told him that the he was under suspicion of breaking university rules and/or the honor code and that university police were on the way, would you please wait outside your room. well needless to say, he got rather pissed.
please stop. now.
whosurdaddy

Post by whosurdaddy »

hahaha thats hilarious...were they actually selling fake diplomas?
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

i get the 'get your diploma' message almost every day. its rather annoying.

Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Plasma2002b wrote:i get the 'get your diploma' message almost every day. its rather annoying.
I USED to get it almost every day until I turned off the Messenger Service altogether :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
ashtray
Addict
Addict

Post by ashtray »

Big-O Mark wrote:
Plasma2002b wrote:i get the 'get your diploma' message almost everyday. its rather annoying
I USED to get it almost every day until i turned off the Messenger Service altogether :).
really... plasma's in cali, and mark's in jersey, and i'm in upstate ny, yet we all get the same message... A CONSPIRACY??? you think that there's some marketing firm that is paying students to put that trash out over campus networks? (are you guys on a college network? i am.)
please stop. now.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

they are just using an IP scanner to net send to all the IP's they can.

ive even gotten pop ups from the makers of these new programs that will do it for you. lol... they try to sell a program for $50 that all it does it net sends people.

that diploma thing has a phone number with a 713 area code. and that is from Texas.

Ive been getting some interesting pop ups from places...... one told me to look at a certain stock symbol and said it was gonna climb real high soon (which IS illegal to say, lol).... and i just now got one that was advertising a personal site.

:P