Poll: What AIM Add-on do you use now?

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

What AIM Add-on do you use now?

AIM+ with AIM 4.8
33%
AIM+ with AIM 5.x
23%
DeadAIM
34%
MyIM
1%
Extreme Messenger
4%
AIM Frame
No votes
Messenger Plus
No votes
GAIM
No votes
Other (please post)
4%

Total votes: 70

Matt

Post by Matt »

Crakaman28 wrote:I have never used DEAD AIM and with what you all have to say about it I don't think i am even going to try it
Yes...please don't...you'll regret it in the long run (not to say I haven't tried it...cuz I did once before AIM+ and hated it...) but there are some people *cough cough* who are ...lemme put it this way...TRAITORS!!
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Crakaman28

Post by Crakaman28 »

PhaseAMD wrote:I truly suggest you do not try it, as will most people here.
That will save me the hassel of downloading a worthless program
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

KooLTaB101 wrote:Yes...please don't...you'll regret it in the long run (not to say I haven't tried it...cuz I did once before AIM+ and hated it...) but there are some people *cough cough* who are ...lemme put it this way...TRAITORS!!
Switching to a program that is actively updated from a program that has ceased to be updated, and is not compatible with the most current version of the program that it is an add-on for is not being a traitor.

Don't get me wrong, I loved AIM+ and would never have even visited www.jdennis.net if AIM+ had been updated. Seriously that night when it was supposed to be coming out, I kept refreshing the site, being 100% optimistic, to no avail. I was even ready to send in my $20 donation that I had promised for the new version. Until DeadAIM gets better log viewing, there will be no donation. Can anyone combine the logging from AIM+ and the tabbed windows from DeadAIM and make like SuperDuperDeadAim+ ?? That would be ever-so-rad.
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

When KoolTaB said traitor I believe he meant something else from what your thinking. I don't think he would consider you a traitor. I think he was more talking about the members that had decent post counts and just LEFT "never" to post here again (no names).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Matt

Post by Matt »

Yes. At the time of the post, I was feeling kinda mad a couple of users and just said stuff that I now regret. Now, I'm not saying that you can't use DeadAim...(its a free country now...come on)...I'm just saying that people shouldn't be for one program and yet turn their back on and go for the other while still supporting the first. True, DeadAim and AIM+ were/are competitors, yet thats no reason to backstab.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Walker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Walker »

Grumpcakes wrote:
KooLTaB101 wrote:Yes...please don't...you'll regret it in the long run (not to say I haven't tried it...cuz I did once before AIM+ and hated it...) but there are some people *cough cough* who are ...lemme put it this way...TRAITORS!!
Switching to a program that is actively updated from a program that has ceased to be updated, and is not compatible with the most current version of the program that it is an add-on for is not being a traitor.

Don't get me wrong, I loved AIM+ and would never have even visited www.jdennis.net if AIM+ had been updated. Seriously that night when it was supposed to be coming out, I kept refreshing the site, being 100% optimistic, to no avail. I was even ready to send in my $20 donation that I had promised for the new version. Until DeadAIM gets better log viewing, there will be no donation. Can anyone combine the logging from AIM+ and the tabbed windows from DeadAIM and make like SuperDuperDeadAim+ ?? That would be ever-so-rad.
That sounds just like somone I know. (Me)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I do not think there is anything wrong with that stance (just to set the record straight). I just am a extreamly loyal person even if the item in question is no longer "top of the line" (However for what AIM+ is supposed to do it still is the ultimate program).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
y0bailey
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by y0bailey »

i can't believe there are so many AIM+ fanboys still alive. does anyone realize that the program will no longer function with the new and upcoming versions of AIM? it was the best while it was current and being actively worked on. now its a different story.

people sit and bash DEADaim and other programs that are actively trying to keep these AIM addon clients alive, but when it comes down to it you can hold out and bitch for as long as possible, but eventually we will all be running these addons you once despised so.

as for DEADaim's installation problems, i have had my share. it is not perfect in any respect. but it really isnt that difficult to uninstall both AIM and DEADaim and start from scratch. it will workwhen you start from scratch (this is a hassle but so are adds, lack of logging, etc.)

to summarize, AIM+ was sweet, but its becoming less functionable and sweet every day. DEADaim is being improved as we speek (maybe with feautures other clients had before, but if you think about it everything we use is a rip-off of something else, for instance the operating systems we are sitting on now). I am no DEADaim fanboy, but as of now it simple offers me the best solution as a client for the current versions of AIM. Its that simple. IF aimmutation or one of those many other clients offer me a better solution I will use it, but until then DEADaim offers that best features and fewest bugs (with newest release and assuming people have the patients to actually get it installed).
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Currently AIM+ does everthing that *I* want it to do. AIM 4.8.x or 5.1. As long as it continues to do everthing I want then I will never switch (even though your post says other wise).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
y0bailey
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by y0bailey »

yes i'm sure AOL will stop updating their AIM client and stop adding features that are useful....you know since you are fine with 4.8
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

AIM+ does everything I want it to do as well. And if there's anything it lacks, I'd rather program it myself.
y0bailey
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by y0bailey »

well that may work for you but many cannot program, dont have the time to program, or are programming more important things than AIM addons. so unless you plan on making AIM++ and releasing it to the masses nothing you just said matters. If you guys could just think ahead to the near future you would realize that within a matter of months AIM will have many new feautures, a possible new interface; all which cause AIM+ to become more obsolete. So instead of bashing all the other AIM addons out we should be helping them with feedback, suggestions, and testing their software. Or hey, maybe we should just all use AIM+ and forget about anything new coming out from AIM.

for the more dimwhitted fanboys...a little analogy. You used to have a computer, it was fast and new. You're running windows 95 and everything is great. Well along comes a new windows which promises an array of new features and more reliability (remember this is hypothetical). So you upgrade and come to find your favorite program doesn't run correctly. So you reformat, put back on win95, and sit in your little stone-age. While this is happening things are changing, games are being written specifically for the new opporating system. Your computer is becoming more and more obsolete, but hey, at least you have that one program. Think about it dammit, instead of bashing everything else go ahead and give it a try, or at least give some positive input.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Okay, time for the blunt one to chime in..

There an age-old adage that says "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Why fix get something new that works fine?

I don't bash DeadAIM--in fact, I put DeadAIM on my dad's computer. He doesn't notice any difference, but for my sake when I use his computer I did it. In my eyes, DeadAIM is nice, but I don't like how to work through the options and what-not. It needs more centralization. I'm happy using AIM+ with AIM 4.8--I need something that leaves a small footprint in my memory because of all the extensive A/V work I do with my machine. AIM 4.8 uses a bit less memory that AIM5--and those spare two or three megs make a difference when working on a 48HKz, 32-bit multitrack session. In my case, having a program with a smaller memory footprint makes the difference. And I'm very happy with my functionality of AIM 4.8 with AIM+.

I actually have been thinking of upgrading to AIM5 and use DeadAIM simply because I like the tabbed IM interface. But I'll decide that when the time comes..

Carl hast spoken. Thou hast heard the truth. Go in peace.