Here's how to remove "Playing Game" away message

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

xWastedMindx wrote:Also for deleting your "playing game" away message. If your comfortable using RegEdit, you can just delete the string from your registry.

*CAUTION* use at your own risk.. delete the wrong thing, and you may seriously screw your computer up.

Goto:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger (TM)\CurrentVersion\Users\xWastedMindx\IAmGoneList

From there look at the right panel, and if I'm not mistake it is "GoneMsg2" you want to change. Just modify it anyway you want. You can even use html tags to modify the appearance, but that would be easier within AIM itself.
Happy RegEdit'ing ... heh heh heh :P
No, not:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger (TM)\CurrentVersion\Users\xWastedMindx\IAmGoneList

Use your screenname instead of xWastedMindx...unless, of course, xWastedMindx is your screenname.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

blaah.... im sure people know what I mean.. heh..

How about this then:

Goto:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger (TM)\CurrentVersion\Users\[Screen Name Goes Here]\IAmGoneList

:wink:
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

xWastedMindx wrote:Also for deleting your "playing game" away message. If your comfortable using RegEdit, you can just delete the string from your registry.

*CAUTION* use at your own risk.. delete the wrong thing, and you may seriously screw your computer up.

Goto:

From there look at the right panel, and if I'm not mistake it is "GoneMsg2" you want to change. Just modify it anyway you want. You can even use html tags to modify the appearance, but that would be easier within AIM itself.
Happy RegEdit'ing ... heh heh heh :P

AIM will restore the "Playing Game" away message when it starts back up again. Regedit won't fix your problem. That is why I posted this in the first place...
:D
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

jester22c wrote:AIM will restore the "Playing Game" away message when it starts back up again. Regedit won't fix your problem. That is why I posted this in the first place...
Well maybe in versions 4.8 and 5, AIM will restore it. But im pretty sure in 4.7 and previous it used to work. I've done it myself... I like using RegEdit :D
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

xWastedMindx wrote:
jester22c wrote:AIM will restore the "Playing Game" away message when it starts back up again. Regedit won't fix your problem. That is why I posted this in the first place...
Well maybe in versions 4.8 and 5, AIM will restore it. But im pretty sure in 4.7 and previous it used to work. I've done it myself... I like using RegEdit :D
Yes for older versions regedit would fix things. I'm not sure what version that they screwed things up on but I know my 4.8.x restores it. Believe you me I've done my share of regediting... not to mention I've been using aim since 1.x...
:D
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

It would be alright if you did change that playing message.
DC United013

Post by DC United013 »

If you go to prefs then away messages and click Playing Game then edit you can edit to make it like "I'm playin a game right now. I'll catch ya later." or whatever just if you want to do something like that
XIII
Addict
Addict

Post by XIII »

Does anyone know how to change the Defult one? its really annoying..
Anarchy and Peace - Learn and Teach.
Kill the panda!
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

XIII wrote:Does anyone know how to change the Defult one? its really annoying..
Yes but it requires going to RegEdit.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger (TM)\CurrentVersion\Users\Screen Name Goes Here\IAmGoneList

Then from there look at the right panel, it should be GoneMsg4 in the side panel (the one talking about Playing Game).. and just edit the title.. and the content. And if you know html, you can format it with the <font> tags and all too..
Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

xWastedMindx wrote:
XIII wrote:Does anyone know how to change the Defult one? its really annoying..
Yes but it requires going to RegEdit.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger (TM)\CurrentVersion\Users\Screen Name Goes Here\IAmGoneList

Then from there look at the right panel, it should be GoneMsg4 in the side panel (the one talking about Playing Game).. and just edit the title.. and the content. And if you know html, you can format it with the <font> tags and all too..
Can't you delete the Default Away Message entirely from AIM Preferences? I think that's what i did.
Official Beta Tester
ExploreAnywhere Software, LLC

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Which default one are you talking about?? I've changed my things too much I don't know what was suppose to be there..

I know there are two away messages by Default.
One that says 'Playing Game' ="I am playing a computer game that takes up the whole screen." .. or something similar to that.

And another one that just says: "I am away from my computer right now."

UPDATE: I just checked my laptop..and the Default Away Message: The one talking about just being away... you can delete. But the Playing Game you cannot. I thought that's what XIII was talking about.. ?
Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

xWastedMindx wrote:Which default one are you talking about?? I've changed my things too much I don't know what was suppose to be there..

I know there are two away messages by Default.
One that says 'Playing Game' ="I am playing a computer game that takes up the whole screen." .. or something similar to that.

And another one that just says: "I am away from my computer right now."

UPDATE: I just checked my laptop..and the Default Away Message: The one talking about just being away... you can delete. But the Playing Game you cannot. I thought that's what XIII was talking about.. ?
Yea, the playing game one you have to go into some file and manually edit it(which is the subject of this thread), but you can't delete it. And maybe that's the 'default' one he was talking about but I thought he was talking about "I am away from the computer".
Official Beta Tester
ExploreAnywhere Software, LLC

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Why would they make it so you can delete one but not the other? It makes no sence to me.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

aclauser wrote:Why would they make it so you can delete one but not the other? It makes no sence to me.
You're asking us?? Haha.. you're talking about AOL here.. there is no answer to your question. Just that it is the way it is, and you cannot get rid of it, only change it. :)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

We should start a thread of things we would like to see in the next version of AIM. After we have 2 pages on the forums of stuff that should be added, changed we should e-mail it to AOL... Maybe if we had 2000 diffrent requests they would add ONE.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ