Add multi-tabbed IM windows!

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Post by Guest »

One feature I'd love to see is a tabbed interface. You get one window for all the IM's and a tab for each current window. PowerPlus does this for AIM right now, and on the Mac side Adium does it - http://homepage.mac.com/adamiser/Adium/. It's a much cleaner way to work with AIM as you don't have 10 or 20 windows taking up space in the taskbar, blinking away.

Post by Guest »

Yeah,
Tabbed Windows would be great!

Post by Guest »

I completely agree.. If its done correctly and looks nice.. it can be a very useful feature.

Post by Guest »

just how feasible is this? big-o software?

Post by Guest »

it can be done software already does this but its shareware and sucks =(
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Rest assured I'm not ignoring a single post on these forums - I just try to know what I'm talking about before I respond.

I haven't had time to implement the "tabbed IM windows" feature, but it is the next and #1 feature on my list. As one user posted above, it is certainly do-able, although I haven't started in on it myself.

I'm hoping to get this into the next version - though I really can't make any promises at this point, having not yet started the feature. And I'm not yet sure when to expect the next version of AIM+ (don't worry, not too long -- I'm just trying to first squash a couple of these very pesky bugs that reared their ugly heads with the initial release)

The last time I tried some of the software that does "tabbed windows" for AIM, I was not impressed with the way it worked - if I can't get it working a lot smoother than they did, you might not see it right away - but like I said, it's really too early to say much at all..

But if you've got any specific ideas on how this should work (any other programs that you feel 'do it right', or that it should emulate.. or any suggestions at all) - there's no better time than now to post them :)

-Ryan
Big-O Software
Last edited by Big-O Ryan on Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

We're still working on this feature ... just to let you know nobody has forgotten about it! It's just that so many other features and bugfixes leapfrogged ahead of this idea, for now :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
visionaire
Just Registered
Just Registered

Hopeful to have notification?

Post by visionaire »

I feel that organization of IM windows using tabbed dialog would be highly functional. However, if it is possible to implement a method to show when a tabbed IM window receives a new message, I implore you to add it!

I do not believe that flashing tabs in a dialog is too far fetched. Perhaps it may be impractical, but it is just an idea of mine. Even simple text title changes for new messages would work well, I suppose.

I have just started to use your wondeful application. I do not always use AIM, but when Trillian kicks out, your application will be a wonderful asset! Thank you =)
Kyle
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Kyle »

AIM+ couldn't get much better if it tabbed IM windows. Please add this feature for the next major release :)
DigitalKNK

hell yeah!

Post by DigitalKNK »

Hi,

I would really like to see this feature in the next release as well. I have used GAIM for linux for this same feature and it's great.

AIM+ kicks ass anyway .. but this would make it even more kick ass!.

Keep up the great work ... you got my undivided support! :D
sn0n
Addict
Addict

Post by sn0n »

hrmmm yes!
xXMaximumBassXx

Post by xXMaximumBassXx »

i guess its been said before (^) but i think this feature would really be the best one you could possibly add right now. i won't tell you to rush anything ryan, because i know if you do somthing, it has to be done right. the program itself is its own proof. if you do come up with somthing (and i think you already have somthing up your sleeve) i will be the first to express my appreciation. thx for your great work. :wink:

Post by Guest »

make sure you make it an option tho, i have soem freinds who dislike the tabbed style, but i think itd be tight, so add it?
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Most everything else in AIM+ is currently an option, multi-tabbed IM windows will be no different once they're implemented.

And I do agree that this will probably be one of the next major features added to AIM+. It's definitely possible (unlike some feature requests, which are sadly impossible :sad: ), it's definitely one of the most often requested features, and even if you don't want to use it all the time, it's definitely desirable. It's all a matter of figuring out the best way to do it and making it work right :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
diab303

tabbed windows

Post by diab303 »

I'm begging for this feature since I 've seen GAIM. Gaim is a *nix AIM clone, similar to MiRC in terms of tabbed windows. You can cycle through instant message windows using ctrl-tab or alt-numbers (like alt-1 for the first window, alt-2 for the second etc). A screenshot can be seen there: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/screenshots ... tabbed.gif.
I think if AIM+ makes it possible, it should work exactly like that. (might be tricky because stuff like this is not in the windows GUI but i'm just guessing here).
Good luck with it, I fell in love with this little piece of software for the first sight. AIM is the corporate standard way of communication at my workplace and every little thing that makes it less ad/bloatware / more usable is a big help :lol:
-d