Warning Percent Removal

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

jwnrb
Just Registered
Just Registered

Warning Percent Removal

Post by jwnrb »

Is there a way to lower your warning faster than AOL would like? Sometimes I get into "Warnungkrigen" with my school mates at the University and once we're at 100 it sucks that you cant use AIM anymore. Thus I have more than one AIM accound for that purpose. (Also when I get blocked) :lol:
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I'm pretty sure there would be no way to eliminate this, as this is controlled by the AIM servers rather than anything stored on your own computer.
-Mark
Big-O Software
jwnrb
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by jwnrb »

ah no way of over-riding client stuff? i know no matter where is sign on the percentage is there, but .. the bar graph / warning levels effects the client so there must be a way to set a boolean flag to reset it, or confuse it. the server must send a flag to the client?
killcrap
Addict
Addict

Post by killcrap »

u know how like smarterchild and when u talk to him, u cant warn him. there should be a feature like that.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

SmarterChild isn't just an average user. He has specific rights on the AOL servers so he has no rate limit, and cannot be warned. Again, this controlled by the AOL servers and cannot be changed unless you can somehow manage to personally get this permission from AOL for your own screenname (fat chance).
Tsuki720
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Tsuki720 »

What about like, a justification-type action? Sometimes you get warned just because the person you're talking to is stupid, or immature, and thinks it's "fun" while you don't... Of course, then we'd have people trying to justify themselves even when they DO deserve it...
Better idea: how about an automatic retaliation feature for warning? :-D
GigaRoc
Addict
Addict

Post by GigaRoc »

what really sucks is if you get a 100% warning, your not alowed to log back onto the AIM servers for like two days

and it makes a permanint mark. so if you goto 100 again it takes longer for you to sign on, like three(i think) and so on and so forth.
SAVE ME GOD - disturbed
rapta
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by rapta »

Well first of all for the warning thing. Even though the bar graph is on the client. When you send a message to the server, it knows how many you've sent in x amount of time. I'm not sure if the client gets that value from the server or not but more then likely it just figures out approx how many more messages until you reach the server rate limit, its probably some simple algorithm.
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

The other bots are disturbing. They talk using "u" and "ur" and that kind of crap that I don't want younger people growing up using. AND everything's an advertisement.

But on topic... ;)
Warning to combat warning isn't so appealing. Two stupid things don't make one smart thing. It'd be better to do what AIM Filter used to do with "bannoy," blocking and unblocking over and over again. Now THAT is just punishment and a wonderful deterent.
Puns don't kill people. People kill people... usually with guns, knives, or something else physically threatening... puns just don't quite cut it... unlike knives, which cut a lot of things...
Punny Buddy Icons: assbuddy.tk
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

100%!!

Post by Plasma2002b »

Well, the client side of the graph is there and that a good thing actually... lets say you disabled the graph limiter (which IS possible)... now, when you would normally be in the red zone and it tried to stop you, it would ignore it.... BUT the AIM server your on would NOT and it would kick you off of the service. Try this.... go log onto either AIM Express or Quick Buddy. Try to flood somebody with IM's.... although theres no rate limit that you see, you get kicked.
I know wat ur saying... its two different services, AIM and AIM Xpress.... but the TIC is very similar to AIM servers in some ways... like the rate limiting.

But what makes ya wonder is like say you get warned too 100%, why is it that AIM Xpress lets you sign on when AIM doesnt?

Oh yea..... yea, back when i was using AIM Filter, i never did figure out wat the Bannoy really did... think ya could explain that a lil?

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

It would just send the packets to block a user and unblock a user over and over so that you would sign on and off on their buddy list which is annoying... hence the name bannoy.
Puns don't kill people. People kill people... usually with guns, knives, or something else physically threatening... puns just don't quite cut it... unlike knives, which cut a lot of things...
Punny Buddy Icons: assbuddy.tk
darkprince

Post by darkprince »

"But what makes ya wonder is like say you get warned too 100%, why is it that AIM Xpress lets you sign on when AIM doesnt?"

What's AIM Xpress?
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

maybe the aim express doesnt run off the same server as aol or maybe has the server info from the server regular aim runs from
tone
nunubutt
Addict
Addict

Post by nunubutt »

Hm... i think its same server just that AIM express is java scirpt so the warning might be located somewhere as a hidden file in ur folder or somethign that prevents u from signing on. MAybe we should run some test and see if files change after someone gets warned.
AnyoneEB

Post by AnyoneEB »

Aim Express is a java version of AIM. You don't need to install anything to run it.