Read from Winamp and Browser windows

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Post by Guest »

and yet another post by me, I should probably register.

But looking at the forum linked from the NowPlaying site, on page 3 it gives some general instructions on getting this to work.

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopi ... 945592&p=3

Post by Guest »

I found this:
www.imomo.net/AIMamp/

looks to be better than the other one since it can deal with scrolling or whatever the other one can't.

seems to be working fine for me so far.
AcceptTheCompliment

this already exists

Post by AcceptTheCompliment »

There's something called an AMPed Profile, which does this (the mp3 one.) It can be found here: http://amped.unrealnetworks.com/

it works like a subprofile, which we all know is wicked lame, so if you could eliminate the middleman, that's be cool.
Topwbmstr

Post by Topwbmstr »

as long as i can disable it when im surfin the pr0n(which is rare), i think it would be a great feature indeed.
do me a favor and have it enabled by default when installed so i can spy on people that dont realize its enabled! haha (kidding)
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I like the part about the winamp. Don't see much reason for the surfing (I know I wouldn't use it) but it's a neat idea none the less.

I think a winamp plugin would take the smallest performance hit aside from using the winamp APIs that are running... but good luck figuring that out. Unless... hmm I havn't worked with windows APIs in quite a long time but if you could do the search (for the winamp window) just once and store the reference number to the window (maybe hex code don't remember) in memory you could easily check back to it to it without searching all over again. The one problem I can think of is I run winamp in the system tray so finding the window might be a bit of a trick.

If this was implemented it would be cool to put it in the mouse over for your buddies (where it shows online time, buddy comment, etc). Or... (and this is a stretch) but if you are directly connected with a buddy it'll show the song on the actual conversation window, like where it says "buddy typing" or whatever.

Well good luck!
AcceptTheCompliment

sdfsadfasdfasdfqehr

Post by AcceptTheCompliment »

doesn't winamp limit you to running one plugin at a time? because in that case, i would definitely rather have this as a part of AIM+. i am running a winamp plugin to improve sound now, and would not want to sacrifice the better sound quality to tell my buddies what i'm listening to. i definitely like the feature though, i'd jump on the chance to try it out.
jester22c

Re: sdfsadfasdfasdfqehr

Post by jester22c »

AcceptTheCompliment wrote:doesn't winamp limit you to running one plugin at a time? because in that case, i would definitely rather have this as a part of AIM+. i am running a winamp plugin to improve sound now, and would not want to sacrifice the better sound quality to tell my buddies what i'm listening to. i definitely like the feature though, i'd jump on the chance to try it out.

Yes if that is the case then I completely agree with you. Perhaps what I said about window reference storage...
timrosenfeld
Addict
Addict

my profile

Post by timrosenfeld »

Winamp limits you to only one Output and Vis plugin at once, but you can have more than one plugin of another sort running.

I've got my currently playing song reported in my AIM profile... along with some other cool stuff. Check it out: TR8829
SNiiP3R
Addict
Addict

Post by SNiiP3R »

Im just curious how your going to put that info there ? in order for this to work you have to Update users profile ( Send that info to the server ) If it was Client side only then yeah its easy to make. Ok so let say that somehow u got it and its working it Adds the info and Updates user profile << hmmm ok lets say 10000 users have this option "ON" each user send 1k every 30 sec / 1 min , you do the math.Dont you think its a little big for AIM server to handle ???
Soccer55

Post by Soccer55 »

Anonymous wrote:There is a Winamp General Purpose plugin that reports what song you're playing to a file.

http://drpizza.arsware.org/nowplaying/

It says on their site you can use it with AIM but I have no idea how.

I would especially dig this for Away messages.

Adding a feature for Away messages to grab the contents of a file and print them to the screen doesn't seem like it would be extremely difficult, but I'm not a programmer :)
This is the way I did it with the NowPlaying plugin:
1) Set up a webserver on your computer (using IIS/apache/etc).
2) Configure the template in the NowPlaying plugin with html.
For example:
<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff">
<DIV>Current Winamp Song:<BR>%5</DIV>
</BODY>
</HTML>
3) For the ".sig filename" field, put the path that you want the file to be in and then name the file with a .html extension
For example: C:\path\currentsong.html
4) Insert a link into your profile that when clicked will load that html file into the AIM profile window.
For example:
<A HREF="http://ipaddress/path/currentsong.htm" TARGET="_self">Click to see what song I'm listening to</A>

So basically this operates like one of those subprofile things where you have to click the link in order to get to the information. I haven't figured out how to do this without using a link or by another method. Hope this helps.

-Tom
bigjesse

Post by bigjesse »

this isvery possible, check out

http://aimamp.com/

theyuse macros and stuff
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Interesting to see that there's more "AIMAmp" development.

However, aimamp seems to be all about broadcasting your current music to a chat/IM window - most would prefer that to be present in their profile..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
waymon

Post by waymon »

HAHAHA, you guys are great. I do agree on the winamp thing that would be cool, but u could also add what your buddies computer specifications (EX. OS, CPU, memory ect...)
"what is waymon?"
bigjesse

Post by bigjesse »

well just make it write to the profile.htm, and im guessing you need multiple paths for diffrent OS's

and if you cant add it cuz of char. limit, you have another reason to get past that :lol: