GAIM - everything hyperlinked

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

WhiteWolf

GAIM - everything hyperlinked

Post by WhiteWolf »

win2k
aim 4.8.2646
friend starts an IM with a hyperlink, and everything after that (incoming only) is read by aim+ as a hyperlink, but it leads nowhere. also, if the first llink is clicked before anything comes up, they call come up as clicked links.

hope this is enough info

bug did NOT come up using same aim, and aim plus on my windows 98 machine though...
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Is this happening in the history or in the regular chat window?

If it's in the chat window, it doesn't seem like an AIM+ bug so much as it does something with AIM. If your buddy puts a space before and after the link, AIM can usually figure out where the link begins and ends. Sometimes it doesn't, but I've occasional problems like that with AIM forever, with and without AIM+ running.

If the history is messing up, but the chat window is fine, then it's definitely an AIM+ problem. I've been trying to recreate your bug with no luck, but I know AIM messes up links often enough without AIM+ running ...
-Mark
Big-O Software
WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

actaully...its in both oo;
in history its showing up underlined and in the color scheme for a clicked link, except the real hyperlink....
but ive never had this problem before i had aim+, and another friend had the same problem after he got aim+

think it might have to do with the fact he guy it happens to (it happens when talking to one guy, for both myself and my friend) is running GAIM?
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

On the one hand, it seems likely that it is because he's on GAIM.. I don't know anybody who uses that, so I can't test it (if anybody wants to help, drop me a line).

But on the other hand, AIM+ doesn't do anything to the top half of an IM window, I don't modify that text, or anything even close, so I'm not sure how AIM+ could make it display differently than regular AIM.

dunno.. :)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
blue raccoon

Post by blue raccoon »

i'm running aim w/ aim+, my friend's using gaim. if he sends me a hyperlink, and then i click it (the clicking is necessary!), then the text he sends from that point on will be in hyperlinks that link to nothing. observe:
a temporary fix is if he types </a> at the beginning of a line. if he does that, then that message is fine, and the others after it will continue in hyperlinks. a more permanent fix (until he sends another link that i click) is to close the im window. good luck with this one =)

software info:
my machine:
windows xp professional build 2600
aim v4.8.2646
aim+ v2.1.1 build 59

his machine:
redhat linux 7.1
gnome gaim v0.57-cvs (2002/04/22)

if you want help testing it though, feel free to im me.

-blue
AcceptTheCompliment

hello operator

Post by AcceptTheCompliment »

i also have that problem, from a guy that uses AIM Express. Another thing that happens is that his font will mimic mine, so we'll always have the same font settings. i have the latest versions of AIM and AIM+, and win 98.

Post by Guest »

I have also had the bug with a GAIM user where everything is hyperlinked.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I'm going to have trouble fixing this, unless someone who uses GAIM would be willing to send me messages to help me analyze and fix this problem.

Unfotunately, people who use GAIM probably don't care about AIM+ - and I have no way of running GAIM.

If you know somebody who'd be willing to help (just needs to send me a few messages every now and then), have them email their SN to big-o@myrealbox.com, and I can try to fix this problem.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
calgar99
Just Registered
Just Registered

GAIM

Post by calgar99 »

Has the problem with GAIM/AIM+ compatibility been resolved? I still have the problem myself...

I also run a Linux machine with GAIM on it, so I'd be willing to send messages to you if you are still interested in fixing the bug. I'd greatly appreciate it.

:)
Big-O Ryan wrote:I'm going to have trouble fixing this, unless someone who uses GAIM would be willing to send me messages to help me analyze and fix this problem.

Unfotunately, people who use GAIM probably don't care about AIM+ - and I have no way of running GAIM.

If you know somebody who'd be willing to help (just needs to send me a few messages every now and then), have them email their SN to big-o@myrealbox.com, and I can try to fix this problem.