Times reported by forums are incorrect

Website stuff

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Times reported by forums are incorrect

Post by Big-O Ryan »

aclauser wrote:Is the time on the forums set up correctly? The only reason I ask is I set my time zone to eastern and its a hour off but when I set my time zone to atlantic it displays correctly (Although this really does not effect me since I sorta fixed it on my end I just thought I would give you a heads up).
This has to do with daylight savings time. Whenever you're in DST (or not in DST, I forget..), the time will be off by an hour. The solution you suggested (simply picking a time zone 1 hour off, is the best one.

This is a problem with phpBB, and there's not much I an do about it. In fact, there's really not much the phpBB team can do about it.

The problem is that it's not easy to determine who actually participates in DST and who doesn't, which is what phpBB would need to know to keep the time accurate during DST. Some countries / states don't use Daylight Savings Time, and even within states that use DST, there may be cities that don't use DST. Would probably be easiest to just ask "do you have DST where you live"? But I'll leave this problem to be solved by the phpBB folks. :)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

A quick user-side fix for this is to change your time zone so that it states the correct time. I moved my time from -5 GMT (Eastern) to -4 (Atlantic). Once daylight savings is over and we get our extra hour of sleep, I'll simply change my timezone back to Eastern and the forum times will once again be correct.
-Mark
Big-O Software