Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

pika515usa
Just Registered
Just Registered

AIM+ & Windows XP Sound Loss

Post by pika515usa »

Hi.
I am using AIM 4.8 with AIM+, and when I chat (IMs and chatrooms) with people, the sound has the tendency to like, not work (its random). This also happenes when I'm directly connected (not random). I am using Windows XP Professional w/ SP1. The only way to fix this is to restart my whole computer, and it happenes like a few times a day.

Do anybody know whats wrong and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance.
collegegrrl

XP Sound loss

Post by collegegrrl »

Hey...i'm on XP/pro (no service pack yet...one of these days...) and having the same issue, except that it kicks back on after awhile. i think part of the problem has to do with how XP works when your computer is on for a long time.

my computer is always on and always online (i'm at school living in the dorm so i never need to shut it off), and so of course when i'm at class or out it shuts off the monitor after 20 minutes or so. that's when i started having the problem of the sound going out on me. i can't really tell you how to fix it or why it's happening; just to let you know i'm having the same problem. sometimes it comes back on after i let the monitor shut off and sit for awhile and sometimes it comes back on when i come back from being away. plz post if you find out anything new on this.
pika515usa
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by pika515usa »

Well, this never happened before SP1.
My computer isn't on for that long (8 hours :roll:) and I found a new way (but i dont like it) to fix it.
Simply, I put in my WarCraft III CD inside the drive and let it autorun. The autorun fixes the sound.

BTW, when AIM loses sound, the whole computer loses sound. Only sound from stuff like WinAMP, games, etc works. Anything like Windows sound, AIM sound, etc, doesn't work at all until you fix it.
RansomedCaptive

Post by RansomedCaptive »

i randomly run into loss of sound. i use xp's remote desktop to access my computer when i am at work. sometimes when i get back home and log back into my computer locally i have no sound as far as AIM goes. requires me to exit AIM and start AIM+ back up. sometimes when doing this window's says aim.exe caused an error. oh well, guess things can't be completely perfect :)
JonLTJ
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by JonLTJ »

im having the same problem... Im running:
WindowsXP SP1
AIM+ with AIM 4.8.2790,
Soundblaster Audigy card (with the most recent drivers)...

when i start the computer, the sound will be fine... then all of a sudden at some short time later , i will hear half of my IM sound... and then it will cut out... At that point, none of my windows sounds or AIM sounds work... But Winamp, and other programs, etc.. with sound will work... Its just all of my AIM sounds and Windows Sounds... Sometimes it comes back awhile later... but it is completely random... This really is a major problem... Im thinking of uninstalling SP1... but that may be drastic... Someone please help...
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

are you sure its your os because i have windows 2k and i use to get the sound thing until i used cusomized sounds.....if you want them i got them from plasma or you can im me and ill send them to you
tone
pika515usa
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by pika515usa »

Well, I have an Audigy too.
Maybe that's whats causing the problems....
richk100
Just Registered
Just Registered

No Sound for Win 2k

Post by richk100 »

I can not get my sounds to work with Windows 2000 (pro). I get the defualt *ding* for everything (sign on, off, im recive, etc.)
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

yeah i have 2k pro too and i use to get that ding and it is so annoying....but ever since i changed my sounds to plasmas default sounds never happened again
tone
JonLTJ
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by JonLTJ »

I am not getting the default ding sound... i do not get any sounds... No one has any ideas?
See my older post for my problems...

Thanks in advance....
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

are you sure you dont get that very annying "beep" thats what aim calls the file beep we were saying ding
tone
kawasakininja
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by kawasakininja »

i have xp and my sounds (buddys come on or off and when you send or receive messeges) have just changed to a plain "bleep" sound like when you do something wrong...i have no clue whether i am getting a message or if someone is signing off or on...

someone please help me!!!

IM me...
JonLTJ
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by JonLTJ »

No... i dont think i am getting the beep... i dont hear anything at all...
collegegrrl

sounds

Post by collegegrrl »

i'm now on XP/pro SP1 and discovered a way to kick all sounds back on : if you've had an away message up for awhile and you come back and im someone (thereby knocking off your away message), it randomly also knocks off your aim sounds...so just put an away message back up, hit the "i'm back" button, and you should be free and clear with all sounds on. i don't know yet if this is influenced in any way by me using XP's fast-user-switching option, however...
JonLTJ
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by JonLTJ »

that definetly does not work for me.... I have noticed that the sounds will just turn off randomly... but they come back when I go to a website that has some java or flash game that plays sounds... At that point when I go to one of those websites, as the sound starts in that java/flash game I hear my IM sound once... This tells me that my sounds have turned back on... But as usual, randomly later, they just turn off again... Could java be affecting this somehow? I also have noticed that when i have the transparency on, websites utilizing java make my buddylist flicker...