Memberlist

Website stuff

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

fuuucckkers

Memberlist

Post by fuuucckkers »

Hey Ryan or Mark.. have you taken a look at the Memberlist lately??

I was just looking through there, and it seems there are a lot of users who registered, and have never posted, or havent posted since sometime last year.

My suggestion is clean-up the Memberlist some. Delete users that haven't visited the forums here in lets say.. 6-7-8 months???

My thinking is that by making the Memberlist smaller, it would possibly help speed things up? I mean, isnt it taking up resources on your server, forums space, etc ?? Just a thought.
Another thought to me just occured as well, are you even able to delete registered members from the Memberlist?
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

We can delete users who have registered. We'll probably never be deleting users who have posted, though.

Mark wanted to delete the old users who registered but never logged on (activated their account / confirmed their email address), and thus had also never posted. I don't really care one way or another.. I guess old garbage member accounts should be cleaned out eventually. There really isn't a good tool to do this, although I could write one pretty easily. Right now Mark would have to individually delete users. Although he could bring up a list of the users we should delete, the process would still be tedious.

The size of the memberlist isn't likely to slow down the boards. But then again, I don't have a clue why things have been slow lately. Although, since Monday, the forum speed has picked up significantly, for me. I'm still getting 5-10s lag on each page right now, but it's so much more usable than last week.

For a good example of why there's really no reason that the forums shouldn't be running fast, see this forum [170,000 posts and 36,000 users at this time].
-Ryan
Big-O Software
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I'm one of those people that has registered and never posted (I guess you can say that is no longer true). I mainly come to the site to read the posts, keep informed, and sometimes get some much needed entertainment (Plasma's avatar the other week sure got me to make a double take).

This is a great product and I have everybody I know using AIM snapping in the AIM+ product for the extra benefits it offers (my mom loves it because she's paranoid and likes the history files).