Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

hkSFV 2.0.1 (build 84) Released

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Just bugfixes:

* Feature: crc32 engine is now in assembly language
* BugFix: Windows 95/98/ME compatibile, again
* BugFix: disappearing preferences (and text)
* BugFix: Remember window position didn't work when comments pane was hidden
* BugFix: Multilang: context menu in file list not all translated
* BugFix: Multilang: changing languages moved 'Exit' into MRU list (File menu)
* BugFix: Remember Window Position did not work at all
* BugFix: File list could have everything selected when AutoScroll is enabled

Let us know how this works out for you..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
emperor

Post by emperor »

for me the installer was unable to create hkshlex.dll
running win nt 5.1 sp1 (xp pro sp1)
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

That's just fine, just ignore the error.

You can avoid this by uninstalling hkSFV, restarting, then re-installing hkSFV. This is the only way to get the new version of the shell extension, but nothing has changed in the shell extension (except version #'s), so it doesn't matter much this time around..

In the future I'll have to make the installer require a reboot when this is necessary.. Windows can be very particular about holding onto files that it thinks the OS might need (like shell extensions).. Some flavors of windows are worse than others about this..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
emperor

Post by emperor »

well i ignored the error but one bug was still there that is why i believed that file does matter ,but seems like that bug hasn't been correctly fixed yet..(?)
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

emperor: You'll have to be more specific about the 'one bug' you're referring to..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
ZTM123

ssss

Post by ZTM123 »

The download link isn't working for me, it just reloads the page.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

oops, fixed..
-Ryan
Big-O Software

Post by Guest »

Will the ability to turn off the windows shell menu be in the next version?
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Guest: almost certainly
-Ryan
Big-O Software

Post by Guest »

Will you make it have a default language or have it get its language(all the settings?) from an .ini file instead of the registry?
because I downloaded the version 2.0 and installed in a non-system drive like d:\my_stuff\my_fav_sfvchecker_hkSFV, thinking it would be ok and I could still be able to use it even after system reinstallation like with the version 1.x but it wasn't the case. I formatted my drive on Saturday and today when I started HKsfv 2.0 to check a some files I ended with an empty interface like this:
(it does the same with HKsfv 2.01 if I remove the hksfv registry entries)
interface

and option dialog

and many thanks for this sweet and fast sfv checker :)
christophe
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I don't have any plans to let hkSFV run without using the registry.. What would you gain from this? Why not just re-run the installer and install over your old installation?

I did design the previous versions of hkSFV so that they could be run w/o the installer, but I didn't see any reason to continue that. It just works better when its installed properly.
-Ryan
Big-O Software

Post by Guest »

hum.. ok.. i'll stick with teh version 1.x then.
the purpose is that's i'm lazy and i hate having to re-install and using installerfor such small applications which, i think, don't need to be that much registry-dependent...
thanks anyway...
chris83us

xml, ini, or registry

Post by chris83us »

wow that's harsh :-?

personally i like programs that use xml files (kinda like ini files) to store everything in the same directory as the exe, i think that’s what most programs will be doing in the future

the registry seems like a pretty stupid idea in the first place :P sooo unorganized and without standards

i hope some day no programs will use it and nothing will need an installer...other then to copy the files and put a few shortcuts :D mostly for the same reason mentioned before, after reinstalling an operating system...there would be no need to reinstall and then manually configure a million different programs. another thing nice about xml files is that i can set everything the way i like it and then create a rar (kinda like a zip file....except zip is old school :P) and then use that to install the program on my other computers and all will have the config i like :D

hksfv is such a great program i have no problem with how its set up. It’s free and it’s the best....its worth it 8)

it would be nice if it used an xml file but if thats too hard dont bother, new features are better :wink:

if you would like to see an example check out this peer to peer file sharing program
http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/
you can also get the source code (c++), it is open source... it is exactly how i would love all programs to be, it even uses more then one xml file to keep stuff more organized. one is for settings, one is for storing the queue of files to be downloaded.

for hksfv i can think of how it could work, an xml for language data, one for config data, one for cache. somethin like that
Last edited by chris83us on Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

The previous hkSFV releases that were capable of running w/o being installed (< 2.0), ran in a fairly limited capacity this way. Preferences were never saved, and a lot of functionality is lost in that alone. (at least, this is the way it was supposed to work - if you find your preferences were being saved, then it was writing to your registry anyway)

I could make the new hkSFV run without the installer, but it would still write to your registry. And as such, I might as well just require you to run the installer (it usually takes < 3 seconds for me). The registry settings are needed, and it is assumed that the installer has been run - if I try to make hkSFV run well w/o these assumptions, it's a whole new set of circumstances I need to handle, which is likely to bring about new bugs, and it doesn't seem like there's much to benefit from it.. (I can appreciate laziness, and I try to write software with that in mind, but the installer is pretty darn brainless and quick, and it seems unlikely that you're re-installing so often that this should really be holding you back)

I'm open-minded about this, though, and I try to give people what they want (even when it's not the best idea, occaisionally :) ).. if anybody else has an opinion or preference, don't hesitate to speak up.

You'll certainly be missing out on a lot, though, if you decide to stick with an old version.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
chris83us

oops

Post by chris83us »

Ryan, I edited my comment like 30 min after i wrote it and added a few things. i didn't even noticed that you already replied...lol

i added the last 2 things. just letting u know in case u didn't notice :P