buddy list backup

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

jonabad
Just Registered
Just Registered

buddy list backup

Post by jonabad »

I think it'd be good to automatically backup the buddy list locally. kind of a restore point sort of thing. This way folks don't have to worry about the AOL servers getting goofed up with a wacky version.

If not that, the ability to stop the remote list from overwritting the local without authorization.. maybe a "compare" option.

just a thought,
jon
fuuucckkers

Re: buddy list backup

Post by fuuucckkers »

jonabad wrote:I think it'd be good to automatically backup the buddy list locally. kind of a restore point sort of thing. This way folks don't have to worry about the AOL servers getting goofed up with a wacky version.

If not that, the ability to stop the remote list from overwritting the local without authorization.. maybe a "compare" option.

just a thought,
jon
It seems logical.. but irrelivant at the same time. I have never had problems with my buddy list. And have never had my buddy list overwritten. I dont think anyone ever has...
jonabad
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by jonabad »

I hear ya. This is the first time that its -ever- happened to me. I'm just a little bitter.

More importantly, I was curious if anyone had ever heard of this happening.
Matt

Post by Matt »

please explain how your buddy list gets 'overwritten'
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
jonabad
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by jonabad »

well, one moment i'm using aim, I restarted the system, ran AIM again and the buddy list had reverted to an earlier state.

I'm guessing that the list got sync'ed from an earlier version somehow (as if an older client had logged in and sent in the old list to keep on the server)

I don't know how that would be possible though as I'm meticulous about not saving passwords anywhere and this is my main computer that I run this screenname on...
Matt

Post by Matt »

im not sure how its possible either...

you said when you restarted your comp, it reverted to a previous version...after you restart it again, does it revert back to the original?

if not, then just save your buddy list locally and load it when it happens...if it doesn't happen frequently. if it does, though, then im not sure as i have never heard of this problem happening
Last edited by Matt on Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Soccer55

Post by Soccer55 »

jonabad wrote:I think it'd be good to automatically backup the buddy list locally. kind of a restore point sort of thing. This way folks don't have to worry about the AOL servers getting goofed up with a wacky version.

just a thought,
jon
If you go to the "My AIM" menu on the buddy list, there is a "save buddy list" option.....

-Tom
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

jonabad wrote:well, one moment i'm using aim, I restarted the system, ran AIM again and the buddy list had reverted to an earlier state.

I'm guessing that the list got sync'ed from an earlier version somehow (as if an older client had logged in and sent in the old list to keep on the server)

I don't know how that would be possible though as I'm meticulous about not saving passwords anywhere and this is my main computer that I run this screenname on...
It might be that the AIM servers had a hiccup or some sort of problem they had to deal with. And the only way to fix it ..was to use an earlier backup? Seeing as how your buddy lists are stored 'server side' .. that sounds like it would be what most likely happened.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

just a thought,
jon
This feature is already built in AIM. Just right click on the AIM icon in the System Tray and choose "Save Buddy List ..." You will then be prompted to save some of AIM's preferences to an external file for later restoration, or for copying to a new screenname, or whatever else you could find them handy for :).

There is already a request for the expanded import / export feature here:

http://discuss.big-o-software.com/viewtopic.php?t=520
-Mark
Big-O Software