problem with new posts/replys

Website stuff

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

fuuucckkers

problem with new posts/replys

Post by fuuucckkers »

Why aren't my new posts showing up??

I just got back on here..and it says there are no new posts since my last visit.. but when i go to each thread/topic..there are lots of new subjects/replys to each thread.

Whats going on?? Did Mark / Ryan mess something up again?
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Nope.

Try logging out/in again.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I did log out/in again.. and no go.
But I just walked away for a bit..and refreshed the boards..and it seems to be back to normal. Whatever it was..it's fixed. maybe a bug in the phpbb?
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Yeah, phpBB is flaky like that, in my experience.. Mark would probably agree..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I definitely agree :). If you want the threads to stay marked as new, my best advice is to read them all as soon as you visit the boards. If you leave for awhile without reading all the new posts, for some reason, phpBB usually marks them as read. Maybe it has a time limit set where it assumes you've read them or don't plan on reading them? I don't know, but this as bothered us forever :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
Matt

Post by Matt »

i could be totally off on this...so here is a fair warning ;)

there is a way to increase the 'session' length. Its under the Cookie settings and its the last option named "Session length [ seconds ]". This can be found under the main board configuration in the admin control panel.

i think the default is 3600 (seconds) which is 60 minutes. I dont know, but this doesnt make sense to me. did you change it from the default? maybe this is how long your session can be before it 'disconnects' you from the server...like, you cant have your browser open for more than 60 min. or something.

im not totally positive on this one...and, like i said, i could be way off
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

That sounds waay too high of a number for it to be doing what it is doing.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

KooLTaB101 wrote:i could be totally off on this...so here is a fair warning ;)

there is a way to increase the 'session' length. Its under the Cookie settings and its the last option named "Session length [ seconds ]". This can be found under the main board configuration in the admin control panel.

i think the default is 3600 (seconds) which is 60 minutes. I dont know, but this doesnt make sense to me. did you change it from the default? maybe this is how long your session can be before it 'disconnects' you from the server...like, you cant have your browser open for more than 60 min. or something.

im not totally positive on this one...and, like i said, i could be way off
I think KoolTab might be right. This sounds like it's related to session variables (also called session cookies). These are like other cookies except they are dicarded when the browser window is closed or the session expires. I think the session counter counts connection idle time, meaning you'd have to leave the site for an hour (or close all your browser windows) in the above example before it would consider your return to the site a new visit (and presumably marks everything since before your last visit ended as read, and everything after then as new).
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I've been playing around with some of the message board's settings in an attempt to make the new posts remain marked as new for a longer period of time. Anyone notice an improvement in this area?
-Mark
Big-O Software
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Big-O Mark wrote:I've been playing around with some of the message board's settings in an attempt to make the new posts remain marked as new for a longer period of time. Anyone notice an improvement in this area?
As a matter of fact, yes and no. It seems better but I noticed on one occasion something showed up as having no new posts when it did, though this may have happened while you were adjusting the settings. But in general, it seems to be more accurate.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Big-O Mark wrote:I've been playing around with some of the message board's settings in an attempt to make the new posts remain marked as new for a longer period of time. Anyone notice an improvement in this area?
It has been acting better.. but on one occasion, specifically speaking yesterday. I was on the boards for about 5 minutes reading the OT (I haven't gotten to the others yet) , when I jumped back to the index to check if any new replys showed up..and all my other new replys dissapeared.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

xWastedMindx wrote:
It has been acting better.. but on one occasion, specifically speaking yesterday. I was on the boards for about 5 minutes reading the OT (I haven't gotten to the others yet) , when I jumped back to the index to check if any new replys showed up..and all my other new replys dissapeared.
Thats exactly what happened to me!
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

That's what always USED to happen to me, but it seems to behaving much better sine last night when I posted here, with new posts staying new for about an hour for me. Are the new posts still being marked read really quickly even now?
-Mark
Big-O Software
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Big-O Mark wrote:That's what always USED to happen to me, but it seems to behaving much better sine last night when I posted here, with new posts staying new for about an hour for me. Are the new posts still being marked read really quickly even now?
No, not anymore. It just happened once.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Big-O Mark wrote:That's what always USED to happen to me, but it seems to behaving much better sine last night when I posted here, with new posts staying new for about an hour for me. Are the new posts still being marked read really quickly even now?
The new posts seem to show up quickly..if that's what you mean.
As for the 'disappearing new posts' ..it only happens occasionally. It's not too big a deal though. I can normally just close my IE window, and come back to the site later and their back again (marked as new).