Message rate limit

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

blah

Message rate limit

Post by blah »

you think that you guys can get rid of the rate limit on aim so that you can send as many messages as you wnat?
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

As long as you're on the AIM servers, I really don't think this is possible.

However, if you directly connect with your buddy, the message rate will not affect your chat.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Maraklov
Addict
Addict

Post by Maraklov »

i see where eviljolly was going with his post... alas, that thread is locked.

you can't get around aim's rate limiting... but i think jolly's real issue was that when you hit the rate limit, you can still attempt to send the next message. and you get a dialog, a sound alert and a reply that blah, blah, blah could not be sent b/c of the rate limit... annoying because you have to shift your focus to the dialog box to do anything else in aim.

what might make more sense is when you hit the rate limit, the send button/enter is *disabled* until you get out of the red rate limit. no dialog, no need for one.

makes more sense doesn't it?
"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him." Arthur C. Clarke
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

exactly

Post by EvilJolly »

That's exactly what I mean Maraklov. I don't mean to make it so that you can send as many messages as possible, I just mean to make it temporarily disable the enter key until you can safely send a message without waiting 25 seconds or more for your meter to get back to normal. I understand that rate limiting is server side, but this would not involve actually changing the rate limit. And as I said in my other post, of course make it possible to disable it. For some reason, someone might want to exceed the rate limit, but that reason is unknown to me *shrug*. Hopefully you understand what I mean now, if not you can always reply to the thread, just don't lock this one :P
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

The original forum never gets locked, it just gets way too confusing to keep track of the most useful posts when they're spread out over multiple threads requesting the same feature! We always hope that users will go to the original thread after the duplicate is locked, and repost their ideas there :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

:P

Post by EvilJolly »

I understand, just messing with ya :P. I hope you understand what I mean now though.
Logan 5

Post by Logan 5 »

Are you sure it's server side?

I thought GAIM used the same server and it did not have sending limits...
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

I can't figure out why my posts won't go up, it says that I posted it and then when I go to the thread it's not there. Oh well here goes attempt #3....

Like I said in the other forum, every time I went over the limit I got a packet of the same size and basic information and I didn't get this packet just sending messages. Also, last night decided to do a little test, so I signed onto AOL on my laptop, then went over the rate limit and quickly signed on from my desktop computer and the rate limit was still regenerating in the yellow. I could talk again yes, but I think that this was because I had signed off and back on again. I think this concludes that rate limiting is server side, but if you still disagree, tell me why and I'll investigate.
Logan 5

Post by Logan 5 »

wow...that's a great idea for a test :)

Perhaps I'm wrong about gaim. Maybe I just type more fantically in windows (rather than linux) cause it might crash at any moment ! ;)

Anyway... too bad it's server-side. Oh well, prevents flooders, right? :)
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

Yes, imagine if spammers had unlimited bandwidth to send everyone messages as fast as they could. This would be a terrible problem, they could cover thousands of users in just minutes.
jwnrb
Just Registered
Just Registered

I would think client side can over-ride

Post by jwnrb »

I would assume client side can over - ride the rate limit. Right?

But I noticed is, if you read a profile, the bar goes towards the red so that sucks too. There must be a way to "reset" that bar. I love to make a little program in VB or C++ that would override that!

Any ideas?
alienzulu

Post by alienzulu »

Trillian Pro uses AIM but has no rate limit. How is this possible for that program but not for aim+?
alienzulu

Post by alienzulu »

:-? so why can i have an unlimited rate limit in trillian but not in aim+?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Because AIM+ does not contact any servers, its a add on and not a replacement. Trillian contacts the server, and simply does not send the rate limit infomation to the server.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ