Turn off cloning

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

laymil

Turn off cloning

Post by laymil »

...add an option to turn it off. please. for the love of god.
sn0n
Addict
Addict

Post by sn0n »

i second that
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Why would you want to turn off cloning? You can decide NOT to clone at all, but the option is always there if you need to sign on with a second screenname for whatever reason.

It would be easy enough to add an option allowing AIM+ to create clones ... but is it really necessary? If you want to open a second IE window, you click on IE. If you want to open a second AIM, click on AIM+ (like you did to open the first one!). It just makes sense :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
Skip

Not Hard

Post by Skip »

It can't be hard to just add a check box to allowing for cloning to be turned off. Its annoying and enough to make me use a different program to remove adds and such.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I'm still curious as well. We still need more feedback regarding cloning..

Why do you want an option to not clone?

Also, why is it 'annoying' to use a 'different' program to 'remove ads & such'? Please let me know, and I'll take care of it.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
sn0n
Addict
Addict

Post by sn0n »

ryan.. you use WinXP as well.. so you know it clones and clones.. and clones.. also.. when ya ReBoot after a Clone.. it uses the clone as Default AIM.. (or it used the SN i used in the clone anywho) i didnt like that :-p

dont get me wrong.. im still using AIM+ 2.0... but i would like this too.. hate havin to hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and killin AIM and AIM+ just to ReOpen AIM..

ya kno?

sin,
Rob
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

The clone closing problem in XP is not a bug with AIM+, it is a bug with the latest AIM beta.

If you're experiencing the closing problem with XP, you don't have to use CTRL+ALT+DEL to close AIM completely. Simply right click the AIM icon in the system tray of the clone you want to close and choose exit. This will completely shut down AIM and AIM+ for that particular instance.

As for the screenname AIM chooses to sign on with, AIM will always choose the last screenname you used to sign on, which is not necessarily the last screenname you were signed on with ... it's a little confusing I guess :).

Finally, one last question for those who dislike cloning. Why get rid of it? Granted, it's not hard to make an option to disable it, but is it really necessary? The cloning feature in AIM+ doesn't really interfere with the normal operation of AIM ...

The only difference I can think of is that you can't click on the AIM icon to bring up the buddy list while AIM is running. You can still bring up the buddy list by clicking the AIM icon in the system tray.
-Mark
Big-O Software
sn0n
Addict
Addict

Post by sn0n »

Mookie.. maybe yer not understanding me.. i shouldnt HAVE TO 'CTRL ALT DEL' to ReOpen AIM.. i sometimes SIGN off aim.. then normally just ReOpen AIM.. i dont think i should have to CTRL ALT DEL to kill AIM and AIM+ b4 i ReOpen AIM or AIM+.. does this clear up what im saying?

we all dont just sign off AIM by right clickin the icon then Exiting.. alot of us just sign off.. add the option and make it easier on all of us ryan.. this is my last reply to a cloning thread.. ive stated what i feel..

sorry if i come off as an asshole.. but mookie dont seem to get what we are saying..

also mookie.. its not a Bug with AIM.. its just how it works with WinXPs Inactive Programs..
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Ryan and I both get what you're saying, we've talked about this many times.

This is not an AIM+ issue, it is a bug with the latest AIM beta and WinXP. When you sign off AIM when running this combination of software, it makes it appear as though AIM were completely closed because the AIM icon from the system tray is gone. The AIM beta is accidentally making this icon disappear in WinXP. This does not happen in past versions of AIM, and only occurs in WinXP with the latest AIM beta.

If you are running WinXP and the latest AIM beta, just make sure you are completely closing AIM when you sign off and this will not happen to you.

If you are not running WinXP with the latest AIM beta, then when you sign off the AIM icon will remain in the system tray. Double click this AIM icon to sign back on, don't try to start AIM back up, because this will result in a clone.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Maraklov
Addict
Addict

Post by Maraklov »

i used to leave a shortcut to aim+ in my quicklaunch bar. with the new release, i've found myself absent-mindedly opening clones... the solution, i just realized was to change the shortcut back to the link to the aim.exe. i can still open clones by opening aim+.exe.

now i don't worry about clones unless i want 'em.
laymil

why i want an option to turn cloning off.

Post by laymil »

i use litestep. with windows xp. systray support isn't the greatest (but i don't mind). before, when i needed the buddy list window back, i could just run aim+ again, and because it didn't clone, it would load the buddy list window. now, if i do this, it clones.
also, i have aim+ in my autostarts. if i change something in my theme and refresh litestep, these get loaded again...with the other programs it isn't a problem, because they won't load two instances. with aim+, it is. don't say things are a 'problem with the newest aim beta' when in fact they don't occur without aim+.
Soccer55

Post by Soccer55 »

don't say things are a 'problem with the newest aim beta' when in fact they don't occur without aim+.
Whoa there.....step away from the keyboard, take a deep breath, and relax. From what I can gather, you (laymil) and Mark are referring to two different situations. Mark's response is an answer to sn0n's comments about AIM not being completely closed in WinXP while you're referring to bringing up the buddy list with the shortcut.

-Tom
laymil

no.

Post by laymil »

actually, i'm referring to the correct thing. so you can't see correctly. the problem won't happen without aim+ (its all the same problem, thanks), because aim only allows one instance to be run.
Maraklov
Addict
Addict

Post by Maraklov »

ryan, mark... i just want to know if making an option to disable cloning would be reasonable. obviously, it's only a problem for some ppl, but it seems to be an annoyance still.
i don't mind it, i can find my own ways around it if i don't want to use clones of aim+.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

There is indeed a bug that only occurs in WindowsXP while running the latest AIM beta, regardless of whether or not AIM+ is running. When you sign off from AIM, the AIM icon in the system tray will disappear. However, if you open up Task Manager, you can see that AIM is still running.

The AIM bug in WinXP is that the AIM icon in the system tray disappears when users sign off, even though AIM is still running.

If you are running any other version of Windows, when you sign off from AIM, the icon remains in the system tray, as it should because AIM is still running.

Signing off AIM does not close AIM!

The problem of creating undesired clones comes in because of the AIM bug in XP. It makes it appear as that AIM is closed when it is really running. The only way to solve this problem is to make sure AIM is completely closed out. There are two ways to close AIM: 1) right click the AIM icon in the system tray and choose exit, or 2) shut it down from the Task Manager.

If you are having problems with undesired clones and you are not running WindowsXP, when you want to sign back on to AIM, just double click the AIM icon in the system tray. This will bring up the sign on screen as usual. The AIM icon was still in the system tray because AIM was never shut down, the user simply signed off of AIM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've been receiving a lot of questions and concerns regarding the signing off / closing / cloning issue. This has been the sole focus of my responses in this thread.

As for any seperate issues people are having with cloning, don't be afraid to speak up.
-Mark
Big-O Software