off-site avatar image size checker

Website stuff

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

off-site avatar image size checker

Post by Plasma2002b »

hey ryan... i was looking through some phpbb hacks and i saw this one and thought you might be interested.

off-site avatar image size checker.

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=756

that would be cool if ya could bring back the off site avatars... i like to change mine often if no1's noticed :wink: lol....

just a sugestion.... i was gonna put it in the topic you made, but it was locked

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

just download the image, and upload it as an OnSite avatar.. hosted locally on the server. What's so hard about that ?
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

i link to a file on my server and i change it often... its easier than uploading it everytime

jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Which brings me to my next question... err my first question. Slightly OT but I've been curious. Does anyone know of a script that will automatically upload specific files/dirs to set location? That would be most convenient for many things. From stuff like this, to uploading my Aim+ history while I'm out of town so I can check who replied to my away message... I know it's possible but I've never really tried to write one before.
:D
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

hmmmm......

welllll...... not to common, BUT you can do FTP drom command prompt. So from there you can write a simple batch file to, say upload all files in your history directory to your other computer (assuming you have an ftp server running)

but the ftp batch file could be used for any ftp server so its pretty powerfull if ya think about it

Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

BTW:

what i do is just make the history directory available on my FTP so all i gotta do is log on to my ftp from anywhere to check my messages while im away :D lol

jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Hmm I never even considered using a simple command prompt... that's a pretty good idea. I don't have an ftp server running on this machine right now, but I will soon. I have ftp on a friends server at the moment. Do you have a static IP Plasma or do you use a DNS service to take care of the occasionally changing IP? I think I remember hearing you talk about that before but I can't remember.
:D
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

well... i have a few things goin on in the background to keep my dynamic IP updated with my domain......

i use http://no-ip.com to do the IP updating to their servers. And im paying THEM to update the regular domain i bought and transfered to them from godaddy.com. I run a program on my server (it runs as a win2k service, so its cool) that checks the setting every intreval on however often i say and if it sees that it changed then it calls up the no-ip host and updates my domain.

Its pretty sweet if ya ask me.

no-ip.com has free stuff. You can have your IP set as a 3 part domain name for free. Thats what i had for months before i bought www.schwippy.com

i had http://aim.servebeer.com go to the same IP. And it still does too, lol.