Question about Big-O Forums

Website stuff

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

XMenKMan

Question about Big-O Forums

Post by XMenKMan »

I don't know if it is possible with the setup of the forums or in any phpBB sytle forum, but I was wondering when you close a topic that has already been discussed take for instance tabbed im's which has been discussed in at least 5 threads, moving the entire conversation to the original thread (minus your actual response about the first thread of course). I only wonder because I think that everyone's comments about any subject is important and this way other people have a chance to express their feelings about that particular idea in the same forum its posted. This way people reading it can look at the original post and see what is going on instead of having to check every locked post about that idea. Just a suggestion, other than that, keep up the good work and looking forward to 12/11/02 12:00:00 AM!
2002 - 3rd Baritone Crossmen Drum & Bugle Corps
2003 - Lead Baritone Crossmen Drum & Bugle Corps
"When all else is gone, the Bones still remain..."
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Well, those locked threads get deleted eventually..

And, unfortunately, phpBB doesn't allow you to merge threads/posts like that. It's our most-wanted feature, and it's supposed to be coming in an upcoming version of phpBB (2.2). I think this is their next planned major version, but I'm not positive.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
XMenKMan

Post by XMenKMan »

Ok, I only ask because that kind of happens with another forum that I belong to www.drumcorpsplanet.com. Messages don't get deleted , however, messages do get moved sometimes if things don't belong in the right forum, or some replies of a topic go way off topic like. Here is what it says on the bottom of all the forums: Powered by Invision Board v1.1 BETA 4 © 2002 Invision PS
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I would definitely love to be able to merge new posts into the original threads. Ryan and I have been dying for that feature to be added into phpBB, and they tell us that it is in the works.

The best solution that we have come up with is to lock the newly created duplicate thread and point users to the original thread. It is always our hope that people will not be offended by this in any way, and that they will join the original conversation and share their ideas so that everyone will be able to read them.

We prefer not to have multiple threads on the same topic because one of the reasons that these forums exist is to further the development of Big-O Software. If we need to find a post about a certain bug or feature request, it is much easier to look through one thread than to have to find all the threads on the subject and then look for one post we need.
-Mark
Big-O Software
XMenKMan

Post by XMenKMan »

I can understand your concerns with numerous posts on one topic and how people say "I know this has been requested before but..." and why you would want to redirect them. I myself wasn't offended when one of my posts was removed. Have you ever thought of switching out of phpBB? The forum I listed before has a lot of options and has a smooth interface. Just wanted to make a suggestion, thats all.
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

Big-O Ryan wrote:Well, those locked threads get deleted eventually..

And, unfortunately, phpBB doesn't allow you to merge threads/posts like that. It's our most-wanted feature, and it's supposed to be coming in an upcoming version of phpBB (2.2). I think this is their next planned major version, but I'm not positive.
YAY!! That would be an improvement.