Lock

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

davisshaver

Lock

Post by davisshaver »

Is there currently any program that locks an open AIM session without signing off?
nemyx

Post by nemyx »

if you use win2k or xp... just lock the workstation if you don't want someone posing as you... if that's what you mean..?
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

plus who could possibly act as you your brother, sister, friend, mom, or dad ?
tone
nemyx

Post by nemyx »

well he might be in a dorm with a roommate... but i think locking the workstation should suffice..
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

never though of anything like that....yeah just lock the workstation
tone
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

To lock your workstation on WinXP, press "Win+L" (Windows Key plus "L"). On Windows 2000, give your computer the three-finger-salute (CTRL+ALT+DEL), then click "Lock Computer."
nemyx

Post by nemyx »

there is a shortcut you can make with a command line parameter to lock the workstation... this is useful if you use windows 2000 because it does not have the win+L capability.

create a shortcut from the new menu and point it to:

"rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation" without the ""

now 2x click this and your workstation will be locked...
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

DADINK13 wrote:To lock your workstation on WinXP, press "Win+L" (Windows Key plus "L"). On Windows 2000, give your computer the three-finger-salute (CTRL+ALT+DEL), then click "Lock Computer."
You forgot to mention that Window Key + L can also be used on Win9x versions as well. It just brings up the "Log Off" Dialog...but only works if you have multiple user accounts on the same computer.
davisshaver

Loggen on but...

Post by davisshaver »

THe reason I posted this is because my mom wants to be able to use the computer when im not around. She says she wont use AIM, but I know thats the only reason she wants to look at my comp. Is there any way to make opening the AIM from the taskbar if its already open password protected?
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

nemyx wrote:there is a shortcut you can make with a command line parameter to lock the workstation... this is useful if you use windows 2000 because it does not have the win+L capability.

create a shortcut from the new menu and point it to:

"rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation" without the ""

now 2x click this and your workstation will be locked...
wait how do i make this, i have never heard of this shortcut
tone
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

How do you point a shortcut to 2 different files?? That's not possibe as far as i know.
Cards

Re: Loggen on but...

Post by Cards »

davisshaver wrote:THe reason I posted this is because my mom wants to be able to use the computer when im not around. She says she wont use AIM, but I know thats the only reason she wants to look at my comp. Is there any way to make opening the AIM from the taskbar if its already open password protected?
Depending on how computer literate your mom is...would it throw her off enough if you just turned on the "Hide taskbar button when Buddy List window is minimized" option, and check the "Hide windows while I'm away" box in your away message, then minimize aim. Obviously, it's simple to open from the systray, but if your mom has no clue to look there, you're good.
Matt

Re: Loggen on but...

Post by Matt »

Cards wrote:
davisshaver wrote:THe reason I posted this is because my mom wants to be able to use the computer when im not around. She says she wont use AIM, but I know thats the only reason she wants to look at my comp. Is there any way to make opening the AIM from the taskbar if its already open password protected?
Depending on how computer literate your mom is...would it throw her off enough if you just turned on the "Hide taskbar button when Buddy List window is minimized" option, and check the "Hide windows while I'm away" box in your away message, then minimize aim. Obviously, it's simple to open from the systray, but if your mom has no clue to look there, you're good.
and...if you have win xp, you can hiide it from sight (at least the part seen) on the taskbar with the "always hide" option
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
davisshaver

Post by davisshaver »

No, she is computer literate enough that that
turned on the "Hide taskbar button when Buddy List window is minimized" option, and check the "Hide windows while I'm away" box in your away message, then minimize aim.
wouldn't work. I once read about a program that blocks certain ppl from opening certain "windows"(Thats what they said, so dont say that means programs)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Do you have Windows XP? If so, I would suggest using the Multiple User Switch and Pass-Protect your acct. and make her one. This way, she can get on the computer without messing with your instance of AIM.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain