Incomplete history in version 2.x

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Asnan9el

the history problem

Post by Asnan9el »

I get the disappearing history after a long convo too and i was wondering-i kno the new version is supposedta fix that but is there any way to retrieve past convos that've been deleted/not stored by the history thing?
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I'm afraid you won't be able to 'retrieve' anything more from old recorded conversations.. I wish they were simply hiding from you somewhere, but they're not :(.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
FrostyTaco

Post by FrostyTaco »

BugFix: AIM+: Gaps in histories

This is still a problem in 2.2 =(
-FrostyTaco
Bitter Nib

History Gap Bug Comments

Post by Bitter Nib »

Yeah Kamanari is right about the IM Window Clear... that is not the cause of the gaps... that's just when you happen to notice the gap while trying to see what the clear made you miss out on. Well I checked the sizes of the convorsations before the gap occured on three seperate occasions. They were 9281, 6558, 8758 characters each before the gap started. They were all different amounts. May I also note that these three convorsations took place after updating to AIM+version 2.2. :roll:

I'm running Windows 98 and such. Not like it matters to this bug though.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Do your histories get gaps often? Do you notice that they are incomplete almost every day?

If so, please e-mail me. Tell me:
* your SN, so I can get in touch with you
* how often you notice problems with your history (as in, do you look at your new logs every day, and see problems?)
* what OS you run

I'd like to test a solution to this problem - but it simply doesn't occur for me very often at all. Maybe I just hardly ever notice it, or I don't chat enough. But I need someone who really notices that their histories are incomplete all the time, and is willing to try a new version or two of AIM+ to help me fix this problem.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
kaminari
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by kaminari »

still same problem...

winME (yea i know, i hate it)
aim 4.7.2480
aim+ 2.2

i only notice it happening on long coversations... all of them.

and Bitter Nib... the character count isn't necessarily accurate, it also logs the html so it's the # of characters including the html markup... =|

-kami
You all laugh because I'm different
I laugh because you're all the same
Wonko the Sane

still having problems...

Post by Wonko the Sane »

Version 2.2
Aim 4.7....
Win 98

Still losing history on window clears... not sure why.

still having that problem

Post by Guest »

yep sadly i too had fallen into the grasps of this history gapbug. conversation started 8:30 PM EST, stopped logging 10:15 PM EST, and actual conversation stopped at 11:30 PM EST. thats a pretty big gap, and it never picked back up for some reason. it's happened to me about 5 times, go have a long conversation with someone, dont close the window, and keep it up for a couple hours i'm sure you'll get it eventually. another thing, whe the popup came to me it didnt give me a "yes/no" option, it was a flat out "this is whats happening like it or not" button type thing. it just says it would be more acurate to do this. pisses me off. well when the next version comes out i hope this issue is resolved.

- Operating System: Windows ME
- Version of AIM: 4.8.2768
- Steps that I could follow to reproduce the bug on your machine: have a couple long conversations or go into a popular chat room and let yourself sit there for about 4 hours or so (sorry its so long but thats how it goes usually)
- What you expected to happen, and what did happen: nope, never see it coming, it's random when it happens to certain IMs or Chats, a HUGE chunk of the history is just GONE sometimes it leaves a "window cleared" line in the history but thats about it.

if you want i can send you a copy of an HTML history that actually DID pick back up after the gap, this may be usefull for an example, but i dont really know, whatever works, if you want it e-mail me ZeroAvengerX@Hotmail.com since i cant attatch it here.

thats about it, Pe@cE
Eric
cil

missing history

Post by cil »

i also have the missing history thing. its like when it says its clearing the window i looose the bottom half of that conversation because the window was 'too fuul' or somthing or other i do the latest version of aim.,
bigjoe29

log problems in 2.2 (build 63)

Post by bigjoe29 »

i've noticed the same history problems with long conversations immediately following an IM window clear. why does it clear the window in the first place? are the conversations stored in memory at all (other than one line at a time) or written straight to the log file? if they're sent straight to the log file, why does it "care" what came before a window clear or what was cleared? i bet it's something silly like a pass by value instead of reference :P

Post by Guest »

Also, I am sure there are plenty of Windows/MFC programmers here, I myself am one, so if you guys get totally stuck on this maybe you could post some of the specifics of how the data is retrieved/managed in memory/stored, etc. From what I see now, with that timestamp bug, it looks like adding the time (xx:xx:xx) to every message caused a buffer overflow of some kind. Perhaps double the size of the buffer to compensate for these cases?
TheHeadFL
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by TheHeadFL »

I forgot I was not logged in before so I posted two replies of which I think one was lost. So in the event they are both lost the full text was:
"I also would like to know why it is that the window has to be cleared. Is this to avoid duplicating data in the log file? Also, this Modal dialog box should probably be Modeless. It is often impossible to click back to a window until you click OK to clear it, and a good percentage of the time, that data is simply lost altogether. I think it would be preferable to get rid of the window clearing totally if it was shown that it did nothing to fix the gaps in the history problems.
Also, I am sure there are plenty of Windows/MFC programmers here, I myself am one, so if you guys get totally stuck on this maybe you could post some of the specifics of how the data is retrieved/managed in memory/stored, etc. From what I see now, with that timestamp bug, it looks like adding the time (xx:xx:xx) to every message caused a buffer overflow of some kind. Perhaps double the size of the buffer to compensate for these cases?"
By the way, I think this is great software. I tried screwing around with the mutexes once in a hex editor and got it to work, sorta-kinda, but your program makes cloning a snap. Thanks!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Am I the only one still experiencing this?

Yes, I'm on AIM 2.2.

One of my most recent conversations had an IM dated (9:51:02 PM), the window cleared, and the next IM is dated (10:58:50 PM). That's around a one hour difference -- the longest I've seen yet.
Miraluka
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Miraluka »

I've noticed that it is WHEN the window clearing occurs, that my history get gaps.

My way around this? If a conversation gets long, I close the window and continue the conversation in a fresh new window.

Every time that I allowed AIM+ to clear my window, about 30-50% of my conversation gets erased. This spans time periods of anywhere from 1hr to 4hrs worth of conversation.
wjdragon99
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by wjdragon99 »

I've tested this on several machines...here's what we've got

AIM+ version 2.2

Gaps in history only appear when the window pops up, saying that it must clear the window to keep it accurate.

Gaps appear in the following windows versions:
Win98 (4.8.2768), Win98se(4.8.2768), WinMe(4.7.2480)

Gaps do not appear, despite popup window:
Win2000 (4.3.2229!!), WinXp(AIM v. unsure)

Hope this helps ...