Incomplete history in version 2.x

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Miraluka
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Miraluka »

New gap. A total of 1 hour and 43 minutes of conversation missing.

Windows 98se.
otakubot
Just Registered
Just Registered

specifics of making bug on my machine

Post by otakubot »

Persuant to your civil call for rig specs...
Aim#: 4.7.2480
Aim+: 2.2

The history gaps seem spuratic, but the usual time is when I or a buddy goes into Away mode while I have the window open. The auto-response is sometimes in the history, but oft-times is not. The conversation after the auto-response is gone. It does not reappear in the history viewer until after the Aim+ window clear (or a manual clear, which is a psuedo-fix). Sometimes, the history logger just stops logging, for no apparent reason. Ive sat down and tried to replicate it, but to no avail. One note I would like to add to all the users, if you keep a vigil on the history viewer's shinanagins and notice it has stopped logging, then do a manual window clear (right click the message session and choose "Clear Window") and the history viewer will log again (for a while, at least). I really want to see this bug fixed, because I go away often so I lose a lot of conversation. And Windows isnt very stable, so the IM's people send me overnight are often lost because of the auto-response--which stops logging--and an inevitable BSOD.
otakubot
Just Registered
Just Registered

followup

Post by otakubot »

If you keep the history viewer open during your conversation, and have it set on the person you are talking to (so you are in effect watching your convo twice), then the bug rarely happens. Except the occassional auto-response-stuff-up, it works well. Only problem is you have to have a history viewer session open for every conversation you want logged perfectly.
rampagingcarrot
Just Registered
Just Registered

Am I alone?

Post by rampagingcarrot »

I have been reading most of the entries on this list, and I have yet to find a single one who has pinpointed the same problem I have. Most people seem to speculating and guessing and reporting random gaps. I know for a fact that my conversations stop recording at never more than 32 KB, and that it is always single, long conversations that took place during the same IM session that this shortening results in. One time, attempting to avoid this problem, I signed off and signed back with the IM, but the conversation i had been in earlier that I was trying to restart continued not to be recorded. I have to completely exist AIM+ and either start a clone or just start a new one (which might also be a clone, I don't know), and then it will always start recording again.
I am not sure if my Windows 98 system is somehow different than anyone elses, because my pattern of history loss has fit the pattern I have described exactly (see AIM+ Bug Reports for first entry) and there have been no other errors whatsoever. I would appreciate it if people that continue to receive gaps to check if:

1) If there was only one conversation with the said person in a particular day, and the file size is exactly 32 KB.
2) If the conversations stop recording when they reach a certain size but start to record again when you sign on at a later time.

Thanks

-Andrew
EntertheForce
Just Registered
Just Registered

incomplete history

Post by EntertheForce »

ok i'm using the lastest version of aim, 4.8 i believe, whatever was just released june2002. and i'm having problems with incomplete history. my gaps ranges from 15 mins to 1 hour.

i'm running win98 second edition and this bug often happens at the most when its around 10pm - 1 am. also, everytime when i direct connect to my buddy, the aim+ history gaps are 90% guaranteed.

also, 60% when the IM windows clears, the history is never record because right after it clears, i check the history folder and the 15 - 60 min convo has not been recorded at all.

my aim s/n is: EntertheForce

if there is anyting else you want to know, just IM me. i dont expect gaps in any of my convos but it happens at least twice a day. especially when a convo is fast b/w a certain person, i.e. at a lot is being said from both sides in a short amt of time.
Do fishes have to wait 30 minutes before they go swimming after they eat?
AzNBoY0325

Post by AzNBoY0325 »

I've caught the history gap bug thing too...I've been using AIM+ for 3 days and noticed that only two of my messages had gaps in them. The first gap happened after I talked approximately 30 minutes (started at 4:18:45PM and it stopped logging at 4:48:40PM central time on
Thursday, June 20) and nothing else was logged until she signed off. The second gap happened after I talked with another girl for only 2 minutes (started chattin at 2:10:56 PM and stopped logging 2:11:03 PM central time on Friday, June 21) right before she sent a pic to me. Nothing else has been recorded until she signed off.
SV110MHH
Just Registered
Just Registered

Has anything...

Post by SV110MHH »

Anything came of this?

This is what I see in my history.....

###### (3:20:42 PM): haha no
(IM Window Cleared)
###### (3:47:42 PM): haha

There is 20 minutes of conversation that is missing.

So what is the latest on this?
EntertheForce
Just Registered
Just Registered

incomplete history

Post by EntertheForce »

ok here is wat i knoe so far. i tink the reason y there is an incomplete history is because tat there is a bug of when to prompt for the IM clear window. because if u have the history screen open while havin a convo w/ a friend, just talk for a while and u notice that there will be a point where the history stops recording. once i saw tat, i closed my current IM window and opened a new one to continue typing to my friend agian, the history is once again recorded. so i sure the bug is the prompt to clear the IM window. now for the maker to fix it.
SV110MHH
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by SV110MHH »

Good... let's hope they get it fixed hehehe

So am I safe to assume that if you exit out of IMs so they don't get too ong (to warrant a clear) then it should reocrd everything?
EntertheForce
Just Registered
Just Registered

incomplete history

Post by EntertheForce »

SV110MHH wrote:Good... let's hope they get it fixed hehehe

So am I safe to assume that if you exit out of IMs so they don't get too ong (to warrant a clear) then it should reocrd everything?
yeah i'm 90% sure. because tats wat i've been doin
nrok311

Post by nrok311 »

i get this history gap waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. i think it has something to do with the window clearing stuff, cause thats when it usually seems lost. most of the time it happens with a certain buddy that i chat with for hours on end, and i keep their window open all the time i am on we talk that often. im talking like 8-10 hours of the window being open. ive noticed gaps of close to 2 hours before. it just happened now, we were having a fast paced convo, lots of talking, and then the clear came up...

me wants to directly connect (3:46:02 PM).
friend is now directly connected (3:46:04 PM).
(IM Window Cleared)
me (7:08:59 PM): blah blah blah

and yes, we were talking pretty much straight through those 3 hours

you know, looking back, im notice a lot of these gaps are happening AFTER a direct connect. a few look very similar to the above lines.

please fix this soon, im really loosing important stuff
SV110MHH
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by SV110MHH »

It is not really cause of the direct connect... as this happnens to me even if I don't direct connect... it is just after long convos getting cleared in the IM window.
scratch

Post by scratch »

I'm on WinXP and I'm seeing gaps with AIM 4.4.2286.
LaughingBovine
Just Registered
Just Registered

saaaame thing!

Post by LaughingBovine »

same thing happens to me
whenever i have a long convo.. it doesnt log all of it
usually there's a pattern

it logs fine..
it stopps logging
(clear window)
repeat

the other chat logging program, MyIM, seems to have the same problem
they have a chat clear after 60k of rich-text, but it doesnt seem to work for them either

hope you guys fix it soon!
ButEvenSo
Just Registered
Just Registered

yep....the same.

Post by ButEvenSo »

sometihng i've noticed with the history not working is that it usually happens for after the 2nd or 3rd time it clears the window.....and it seems to occasionally start back up when i go check, but not always. the gaps don't seem to have too much a pattern either....at any time of day and anywhere from 15 - 30 minute gaps. its really annoying! :D