Incomplete history in version 2.x

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

PappyK

Incomplete history in version 2.x

Post by PappyK »

Even with the new window clearing thing, I'm still getting large gaps in my history, I don't know if its a size or midnight bug but it definitely seems to occur before midnight. I'm running 98SE and the most recent AIM, I can't remember the version #. They're an hour or more in length, but it doesn't seem to have any particular patten.
I'm guessing its still a size issue.

Post by Guest »

I got the same problem. The "your history has been cleared to stay accurate" thing came up but I didn't ok it, so i lost everything said after this. i guess it stops reading from the window once it's too big to stop what crashed it in version 1. would it be possible to clear just the top part, and do it automatically?
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Weird, I actually just noticed gaps in my own history. I just found the first "window cleared" notification I could, and it was the first thing in one day's particular history! The rest of it just vanished! Looking for more of them, I see that on other days it cleared fine and my entire history is for those days is perfectly intact.

This problem will be looked into immediately, because it's unnacceptable that AIM+ can miss portions of conversations in the history.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Anonymous: If you don't OK the "window clearing" notification, and messages keep pouring in, you will lose stuff. This is a compromise I was aware of, but I've arrived at a better solution that should be in place in the not-too-distant future.

As for these incomplete logs in the new version, this is news to me. I'll look into it very soon (logging bugs are always high priority)..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
PsychoticPenguin

yes

Post by PsychoticPenguin »

I also noticed a large gap in my history today, probably around 15 minutes worth of conversation. This occurred around 6pm so its not a midnight bug.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Please post any ideas as to how I can get this to happen to me. I haven't found any incomplete logs in my own history, yet. If you have time, clone AIM and experiment a little.

Is it really long conversations (in one IM window) that's causing it, again?

Any info you have would be great, I'm going to take a look at this tomorrow (Sunday), and try to fix it for the next update (Monday). If somebody comes up with steps for me to mess up my own histories, I should be able to quickly fix it.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
xXMaximumBassXx

Post by xXMaximumBassXx »

i have also been having some slight problems with gaps in the history (looking forward to the new version... again) but ive also been having another, not necessisarily bug... but more like a nuisance. i use a blak background in all of my im windows by default. black window, red text. when i check in the history viewer, all the text is there(most of the time) but some of it, in random places throughout the window... does not show up unless i highlight it.

i could easily change back to a boring white background... but id rather not. if you can shed any light on this issue id appreciate it.

if you want to recreate this, just change your window color to black and check out the history viewer. (winxp pro, aim 2.8---, aim+ 2.0.1)
thx :wink:
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

ImmortalBlade wrote:Long convo, about 2 hours long, strong text. Most of it intact, however part of the end of the conversation is gone.
I forgot to follow up on this thread, but I've since discovered more than enough gaps in my own history..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
kaminari
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by kaminari »

I experience the same problem: any long conversations when "automatically cleared" will not have the approximately 10 minutes of conversation right before the clearing. Stuff sent immedately after the clear will be posted to the history.

I also have the same problem as maximumbass with the black bg. the words "(IM Window Cleared)" won't show up unless I highlight them.

[edit]happened again... this time a 30min gap.[/edit]

-kam
You all laugh because I'm different
I laugh because you're all the same
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

This is definitely still the number one bug to be fixed, it's simply unacceptable to have a history recorder that is at times unreliable.

Has anyone noticed a pattern to the history gaps?

I have some blank spots in my history logs related to the window clearing. However, my history is not always lost when the window clears. Most of the time it's fine; sometimes it's not.

If we can figure out what we're doing differently when the history is lost, as opposed to when it's in tact, this bug should be pretty easy to squash. Please reply with any ideas of what you could be doing differently when your history files have gaps! One of us or one of you has to be smart enough to figure this one out :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
big fuzzy door

history loss

Post by big fuzzy door »

I have also noticed a loss of parts of converstations in my history. It seems to happen with long conversations in the same window. I was talking to one person in the afternoon, and the history stopped logging messages after a little bit over an hour. Then in the evening i was talking to the same person and the history did record it, but once again the conversation ran long and the end of that one is also missing. This time it took about an hour and a half for the history to stop logging.
kaminari
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by kaminari »

i just tried to close my IM windows that were of long conversations and reopen them to see if it would preserve the history, it didn't for one of them (a longer conversation)

so it would appear that the "clearing of the window" doesn't cause the history loss... it's something else... we just notice when the window is cleared.

-kami
You all laugh because I'm different
I laugh because you're all the same
FrostyTaco

Post by FrostyTaco »

For me, this bug occurs on 2 occasions...

1) When it's a very long conversation, and I haven't closed the IM window yet
2) When it's a long conversation, and I press F2 to add time stamping. The second I press f2, the error pops up.

One way to get around this bug for now is to end task aim forcefully, without pressing either yes or no.

This is what the log looks like during the bug.

<!-- 00:04:07-864 -->
<HTML><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT SIZE=2><B>(IM Window Cleared)</B></FONT><BR><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><B><FONT COLOR="#ff0000">SCREENNAME<FONT SIZE=1> (12:04:14 AM)</FONT></B>:</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"> MESSAGE</FONT></BODY></HTML>
<!-- 00:05:01-e98 -->
<BASE TARGET="_new">
<HTML>...

And the conversation continues being logged…

- Operating System - 98
- Version of AIM - 4.7.2480
- Version of AIM+ - 2.1.1 (Build 59)
-FrostyTaco

Post by Guest »

happened again...

i started the conversation at 3:20 and it logged perfectly until 3:46, and there's an approximately 30minute gap missing.

the "good" history is about 7.45KB of text (without markup)

-kami
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

The next release of AIM+, due out very shortly, will feature a possible fix for the history gaps. Once you upgrade to AIM+ 2.2, let us know if you experience any more history losses so we can keep trying to solve this problem if we haven't already. Hopefully we got it this time :).
-Mark
Big-O Software