Incomplete history in version 2.x

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

caramel americano
Just Registered
Just Registered

This is interesting, about the history issue...

Post by caramel americano »

Just got a new computer running WinXP Pro; i was using Win98 SE on a buggy P100 and having the history problem.

First time using AIM+ was tonight, and my IM window was cleared twice and i lost nothing...is anyone on XP having the problem? the only issue wasn't a big deal...just duplicated about 10 min of convo when my clock rolled over to midnight.

cstrodtb@iupui.edu
aznSponger
Just Registered
Just Registered

hm,

Post by aznSponger »

yes, it seems to only be a Win98 and Win ME problem ... because I also have that problem and I'm running Win 98
DragonPark118
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by DragonPark118 »

I have AIM+ 2.2.1 (build 65)
I have AIM 4.7.2480
I have WinME

Here is what i have so far on this problem. I have had 2 convos that had this problem in the past few hours.
1-Both of them started after midnight, so that is no problem at all.
2-Both of them stop recording about 1 hr 45 min into the conversation.
3-But one is 65 kb and the other is 54 kb.
4-I didnt get the clear dialogue until about 30 min after the log has stopped recording the conversation.
5-My conversations never start being logged again until i close the window. I close the window right after i get the error and then i ask the person im talkin to for the full conversation.

That is exactly what happens to me. If u want to ask me about anything else, just email me at FutureTrunks118@aol.com or IM me at DragonPark118.

I really only know Visual Basic, but why is this Clear Window dialogue even there? Couldnt u just have a line of code that writes what is sent and received in the html document? Again, i only really know Visual Basic and im not sure exactly what u guys r doin. Please dont hound me for making a stupid comment :oops: . Can u just explain how u r recording these messages so other ppl that know the language can try to get a fix to it?
TUGGY
Just Registered
Just Registered

History Bug

Post by TUGGY »

Windows ME
AIM 4.8

My AIM s/n is TuggyCEO. Earlier this evening I had a conversation that lasted approx 58 min. After 55 min or so the IM window clear diaglog box came up. However, from 9:39 to 9:57 no text was recorded... Is there a way to fix this? Thanks for your time.
'Commie'kaze
Just Registered
Just Registered

My feelings on the subject.

Post by 'Commie'kaze »

While everyone continues to blame the (IM Window Cleared) as the source of the problem I really think that its because the (IM Window Cleared) didn't come soon enough, and of course like most theories I could be wrong.

Even before the (IM Window Cleared) shows up history stops logging and only until the (IM Window Cleared) do we notice it. Lamely enough I watched my history log as I had a conversation and noticed it just stopped logging and then a few minutes later the (IM Window Cleared) showed up.

Maybe the IM window clearing would keep history logged if it came sooner, but I wouldn't want to risk it. I like the ideas that others came up with which is having a "Save" button that would save your history to its respective filename only when you clicked it. I have to admit most people are lazy and I am no exception, but I wouldn't mind having to click a button to save my history, would you? :wink:

Thank you.
Songfucious

Gaps w/WINXP

Post by Songfucious »

Eh, i think it just has a history gap w/everything. It's not that bad though, u just chat for a few minutes, hit the esc key, and then they im u again and everything is recorded in ur history :) So if u just remember to close the window every few mins, u'll avoid this little history gap. I guess it's kinda stupid but hey, i do it everytime now, I do it so much it just happens w/out me noticing :)
collegegrrl

History and XP and maybe 2k?

Post by collegegrrl »

just out of curiosity...is anyone having this problem in Windows 2000? I'm on XP/Pro, installed with the FAT32 system but converted over to NTFS...so i'm thinking it might be a FAT32 issue (ie win98 and ME) or something related to the fact that the file systems are different. I've been running AIM+ on my XP/Pro machine and have had zero history autologging issues; it happened all the time on my old Win98 machine...and i'm running the same version of AIM as before (4.8.x).
jester22c

Re: History and XP and maybe 2k?

Post by jester22c »

collegegrrl wrote:just out of curiosity...is anyone having this problem in Windows 2000? I'm on XP/Pro, installed with the FAT32 system but converted over to NTFS...so i'm thinking it might be a FAT32 issue (ie win98 and ME) or something related to the fact that the file systems are different. I've been running AIM+ on my XP/Pro machine and have had zero history autologging issues; it happened all the time on my old Win98 machine...and i'm running the same version of AIM as before (4.8.x).

I'm running win2k and I have zero problems with history gaps. It'll still overlap a little at midnight but that's redundantcy not loss. It has nothing to do with the file systems, that's not possible. But I do agree that it seems to be a win9x problem.

------------------

Nice avatar tuggy... I've used that one (not animated however) for years at SharkyForums :)
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

i am running win2k, aim 4.82790 , and aim+ 2.21 (build 65) and i have not yet any problem with history gaps in my history
tone
scratch

Post by scratch »

I'm experiencing history gaps on WinXP. They seem to mostly happen right after "direct connection closed", and almost always involve IM direct connections.
ami
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by ami »

mine does this too... most of mine is missing from late night conversations too.

plus sometimes mine puts together 2 conversations, and it is also not show some conversations in the window. they're saved in my history if i pull up the program files folder but they aren't coming and up in the history veiwer
Matt

Post by Matt »

i've yet to see this happen to me...but then again, i haven't gone through my history with a fine comb...everything that ive needed has always been there, no matter what time it is...
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Dragin
Just Registered
Just Registered

More bugginess

Post by Dragin »

Ok. After a few checks, I've determined the following...

1) It isn't a timestamp problem. I never turn the timestamp on
2) It isn't a direct connect problem. You can't D/C chat rooms
3) It is uneffected by having the History view open. I pulled it up before some logging started missing and closed it after it started logging again on a few occasions
4) It has little (or maybe nothing at all) to do w/ the pop-up. As mentioned before, that's just when you notice it

I'm currently running Windows 98, AIM v. 4.8.2790, AIM+ version 2.2.1 (b.65) and have obvoiusly expierneced a lot of the gap problem :sad:

I have a pair of suggestions that I think could/should eliminate these problems

1) Instead of the pop-up completely blocking the IM, it should allow you to access the IM. This would allow for manual saves
2) There should be a button on the pop-up that completely goes back through the IM and adds anything to the history it left out. Doing this could either completely rewrite the log or simply ad into it
FT13TomDinardiJV
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by FT13TomDinardiJV »

I've got the same problem. I'm using Win98 and the latest AIM version (5.whatever). At first, I thought it was just because I was using the newest AIM version that wasn't totally compatible with AIM+. All my conversations save correctly EXCEPT for the ones that have to have the window cleared. When the window clears, it doesn't record about 50% of the conversation. It shows about 50%, and then says that the window was cleared, leaving the other 50% out. Hope that helps.

But, as a precaution to having my convos deleted, I'm waiting for the next version of AIM+ before I use it again.
Zaset65536
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Zaset65536 »

I know absolutely nothing about this. But I'm going to make an educated guess and who knows, maybe it will be helpful.

If it doesn't come soon enough, the question is WHY. It can only hold so much in memory at once, yes? So it only copies so much at once. But how does it know when it's reached the limit? It knows by counting the number of characters, I'd bet. But when it saves the conversation in html, it takes a lot more characters because if you and the person you chat with have different fonts, that's a lot of formatting. Could it be something along those lines?

Because then you COULD make it come more often and be more accurate. Right? Anyways, that was just the idea I had....maybe it'll help.

<---latest version of aim 4.8x, running AIM+, WinME :roll: , on a Dell... And have the history problems.
Joy is there even when happiness is not, and joy is not a mere surface thing. So let your joy run deep.