The Future of Big-O Software and AIM+

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Timelessblur wrote:There code be vailid reason for not wanting to go open sorce. One is Ryan just does not want to because he worried of some taking the code doing minor work on to make it capible with the latest verson of AIM then taking full creite for the work. I would be pissed if that happen to me.
dat's right, if you release it under the GPL, and the new author respects the terms of the GPL, he couldn't do that.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

dat,

I could've sworn that Ryan specifically outlined his reason(s) for not wanting to GPL AIM+ at some point. I spent about an hour looking for that reason yesterday, but to no avail.

Then I remembered that, at the time, there were requests (almost daily) for the code to be open sourced. These requests were often in separate threads. There is a standing policy that all requests about the "Future of Big-O Software" specifically AIM+ needs to be in this thread and violation of this request will result in the thread being deleted. I think the explanation you are looking for was in one of those tangent threads, and as stated by Big-O Mark on multiple occasions, those threads were deleted.

Maybe Ryan will restate the reason(s) for his decision again in this thread since you so elequently (and politely) asked for a reason.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

He may of explain it in one of the chat sesesion that they had
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Trust me, if he had, it would've been found in my hour-long search yesterday. It wasn't in the Chat forum. Now he may have said it in one of the AIM Chatrooms that was cropping up at the time, but many of our loyals fans documented all those chats and put them online. I didn't find it in those either

I have a strong recollection that he gave a very convincing reason in one of the tangent threads that went "bye-bye" during one of Mark's "house cleaning" sessions.

Since Ryan hasn't been on the forum in over a month, it could be awhile before he sees Dat's request
tastyratz
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by tastyratz »

id just like to say you guys did an incredibly good job with aim + and i was very unhappy to hear there would be no more updates to it, but i thank you for the effort you put in till now. even if its not very compatible with new aim i still run it because even at 50% what it can do its better than anything else out there. i only wish you leaked the 3.0 or source code to some one so it was spread through the internet in other ways, since you wouldnt have officially put out 3.0 it would be like any other betas or pre-release cds that got into anyone elses hands. i mean, its not your fault if it got out ;) but if that never happens again i thank you for what you have done, and thank you for such great software so far...
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

its not going to happen aim+ is out of production and the source code will not be released
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
balzack
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by balzack »

i know this has been said alot, but you should GPL the source

its free speech and they can't do anything to you for releasing code

you should give the rest of the world a chance to modify and improve the code you've worked so hard on yourself

by not GPLing the code you lose and the people that were harassing you win. maybe you can't formally release AIM+ 3.0 but if you release source code, even for AIM+ 2.0 then at least you can feel like your hard work can shown off and bettered by many

thanks for AIM+

i hope someday i see it on sourceforge and can make some improvements myself
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

hey! that sounds like an AWSOME IDEA!!! DAMN!! y didnt any1 else think of that!?!!>??!

im gettin tired of these ppl askin the same damn thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again...........
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I think it is really funny actually.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

PhaseDMA wrote:I think it is really funny actually.
I think it's both annoying and funny.
Annoying for the fact that people keep begging and asking, and it's never going to happen. Although for that same reason it's kind of funny.
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

no one ever learns do they??
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
roxychic
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Don't Let AIM+ Die

Post by roxychic »

asmily1 wrote:Granted this may be my very first post on the forum, but I don't think it could come at a more opportune time.

Now it may be that people slandering your personal lives is not acceptable, and I agree with that. But must everyone who loves AIM+ suffer because of a few upset and disgruntled people.

By giving in, don't you allow those who slandered you to win? Their only goal was to get you upset and give up - and here you guys are, doing exactly that, giving up.

Why don't you guys win, and continue developing AIM+. Everyone who uses and loves AIM+ has waited for this new release. And we can wait some more, because we love the program. Granted, yes, we are impatient, but that's only because we love it. I searched on google while the site was down and found tons of forums discussing the downtown in which HUNDREDS of users complained that they could not wait for the new release.

My opinion, and I'm sure thousands of people agree with me, don't waist all your hard work and effort developing AIM+ 3.0. Make AIM+'s first birthday worthwhile. A belated birthday present prehaps?

Don't give in, continue developing AIM+ and ignore the people who have just ruined a great piece of software for hundreds of thousands of people.
i agree with that completely...couldnt have said it better. please dont give up on this.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hehe another miss understood person.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
thecaptainjs

Post by thecaptainjs »

Lets face it, big-o died
nothing new in a year and a half, and after the big AIM+ release date/ oh wait nevermind thing, they said they were working on other projects and something would come out soon.
I supported them, and when the whole thing came down, I was right there trying to find out what was happening. I gave them time to recover/ come up with something new, but well i think its been long enough to say that they gave up completely. neither mark or ryan have posted since june/ september, and deadaim now has all the functionality of AIM+ and then some, and if your to cheap to buy it you can find it other places free.
Jrrtt37
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jrrtt37 »

and you posted all of that why?
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON