msn messenger style buddy alerts

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Matt

msn messenger style buddy alerts

Post by Matt »

I like to keep my desktop clean and tidy so I don't like to keep the aim buddy list windows open all the time. I love msn messenger's feature where a little window pops up from the sys tray icon telling you when people sign on and sign off. Would this be a feasible feature to implement into AIM+? I know I can set up "buddy alerts" but I think messengers implementation of alerting the user is much more intuitive. It doesn't get in your way at all whereas the "buddy alerts" in aim pop up and take the focus away from whatever you are doing.
sn0n
Addict
Addict

Post by sn0n »

if i can do it in mIRC for AIMServ.. im sure he can do it in C++ hehe

go ryan go ryan go ryan.. go go go go go.. (TMNT theme song)
qbproger
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by qbproger »

You could try not having the popup window, but set custom sounds for all your buddies, and you'd know which one was on by sound. hehe
-Joe
JStrider

Post by JStrider »

i dont like the sound idea that much... im sure id end up recording myself saying my friends names or screen names... i think having something fade in and fade out after a few seconds would be good... maybe the current alert window ... still in the middle... just have it fade in... and not interfere with whatever app your using then have it fade out...
lebmike

Post by lebmike »

yea, the sound feature is just stupid all together, like who is going to know every sound for every buddy on there buddy list. AOL did a horrible job with this feature, and now it's time for Big-O to fix it. :) :) I know you guys can do it. You're the best!

Mike
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

I like AOL's implementation of Buddy Alerts (sound). Sound works best when you are waiting for somebody special to come online and you are not sitting in front of, or even close to your pc. Of course, AIM+ can make much better visual alerts.

Post by Guest »

I really do like the idea of having a box pop up when people sign in and out (maybe an option for just certain people though, or certain groups), and when poeple in an IM conversation say something when the conversation is minimized. I do hope these type of alerts get incorporated into AIM+.

I love the way messenger sits in the system tray and I never have to open the buddy list. If you put the messenger style alerts in, it would allow AIM to be like this too. Maybe even add a right click context menu to the system tray icon which will show all the buddies which are online (and maybe give an option to limit this to a certain group cause some groups I don't talk to and the list could get quite long and bloated, if that makes any sense). Then you could click on the buddies in the context menu to initiate an IM window.

Finally, on a side note, user logon logoff logging would be great as well as tabbed IM windows as long as they are implemented well.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I think the "MSN Messenger style" system tray alerts would be an awesome addition for anyone who prefers running AIM with their buddy list minimized. AIM's default alert system is really poor; MSN definitely implements the alerts much better.

Personally, my buddy list is almost always visible, but perhaps I will minimize it more once this feature is added :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
jimP

Post by jimP »

If this feature were to be implemented it would be the greatest thing in the world. I have been waiting for years for AOL to implement it, but I guess they figure they'd rather have people open up the buddy list and look at the ads.

All I think is needed is so simple: You know what a tooltip looks like... just have a tooltip box come up saying "SoandSo just signed on" or "JoeSchmoe just signed off". Make it pretty if you want, I don't care. SO OFTEN I hear the stupid door open sound and then I have to go open my buddy list up, only to find it's some stupid person I don't care about :D The message (I think) should come up right above the AIM systry icon, and should appear for a few seconds, and then go (or fade) away by itself.

I'd say this feature is so important that even trade all of AIM+'s current features just to get it (wow I can't believe I said that, but I'm serious).
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

why don;t you trade all of the features of AIM and use MSN :)
jester22c

any updates on this?

Post by jester22c »

I've wanted this feature for a long time (even before I discovered AIM+) and would be a very happy camper if it could be implemented.

Any luck yet, or has it been attempted?
timrosenfeld
Addict
Addict

Post by timrosenfeld »

I just have to say... if you implement this feature, I will love you guys (developers) forever... or until there's something else I want :D
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

This feature would make me so much happier. I like the idea of a window (even if it is the same AIM alert window that there is now) just popping up, but not interfering with your work and then fading away.
Matt

Post by Matt »

it would be cool if you had the pop-ups even if the buddylist is up. just my preference
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
ShadowSpirit12

Post by ShadowSpirit12 »

This feature is very doable. I have to admit, having this feature would be very cool. Also, hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Of many many things, I am thankful to be able to communicate with all of my friends and family on a regular basis through AIM and the internet, even though they may live far away. Also for AIM+. :D