IRC and Java Chat ANYONE? Lets hear what you think

Website stuff

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

border9
Addict
Addict

IRC and Java Chat ANYONE? Lets hear what you think

Post by border9 »

Alright i got the pleasure of talking to Ryan eariler, and told me to set up this string, id like to hear what everyone has to think about this, i have the server and i have the channel already made, its on a little network, but its a stable network. I know the owner of the network, and i know the owner of the provider, so if i run into any problems then i can talk to them.
Please let me know if you support this idea or not :) cause i would like to know if my time is wasted or if im doing somthing that everyone might be intrested in. i have the java applet set up already and the channe is. You can connect via mIRC or any other IRC program to the server from irc.hydronet.org:6667 the channel is #BigOSoftware, which if you dont know what your doing to get on the server you would type.
/server irc.hydronet.org:6667 and to get on the channel you would type /join #BigOSoftware

The Java applet is located at this address http://www.pcprocentral.com/irc/ Please feel free to check it out.

Thank you for your time i look forward to hearing what you have to say :)
Welcome to my w0rld :P
pyro

Post by pyro »

i think this is a great idea. it will let us speak our minds in real time, without having to worry about posting topics on the forum too fast and causing it to bog down. it also lets control to be easily taken against seriously offending users quickly, and permanently if needed
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

I'm down with this, too. :D
Bryan T. Villarin
btvillarin.com | My System Rig
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I was down with it last night.. I was in there for about 4 hours.. until I had to goto bed about 12:30am..

I'm all for it! Maybe a possibility... instead of inviting the whole world and their mom to join the IRC chats...why not just a select 15-20 people?

That way we dont have tons of people speaking at once, and we could get things done faster.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I am also all for it. Just count me in.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I think the whole chat concept is a great one. No sitting around waiting for an e-mail telling you somebody has posted to the forum. But, if Mark and/or Ryan make an appearance I think there needs to be some good "policing" to keep the negativity, back-biting, insults, etc. to a minimum. We aren't necessarily coming to get insulted.....lol
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I really like that chats. The one with Mark was really a lot better then what it could have been once he started taking IMs instead of questions in the chat room.. and when the second room was created.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
border9
Addict
Addict

Post by border9 »

Well, So what is the w0rd. Do we want to go ahead and do this, i talked with ryan last night, and he said to make this post. Please if you want me to do this, i need help. So i am going to need all of you to help me in some way or another :)

Thanks
punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

i'm in.
Prouderesterest Moderator of the Schwippy.com forums.
Look! I can make an egg stand up on the first day of spring and winter! Can you? :D
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I favor the AIM chat for a few reason (and I know some will say I'm nuts for some of my reasons). My first reason is people have diffrent fonts. This makes it so much easier to tell one msg from another. Second I can learn about the person through their font (as opposed to their SN). Now I know that this makes a real pain to "strip" the convo (and trust me I do since I did it on Sunday :o ), but this is something I can live with. Second everyone that has AIM+ has AIM, meaning no one will not be able to get into chat for lack of the needed program.

mIRC is a nice program however and being able to mod is what is needed. I also like the java program.. nice and clean
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
border9
Addict
Addict

Post by border9 »

aclauser wrote:I favor the AIM chat for a few reason (and I know some will say I'm nuts for some of my reasons). My first reason is people have diffrent fonts. This makes it so much easier to tell one msg from another. Second I can learn about the person through their font (as opposed to their SN). Now I know that this makes a real pain to "strip" the convo (and trust me I do since I did it on Sunday :o ), but this is something I can live with. Second everyone that has AIM+ has AIM, meaning no one will not be able to get into chat for lack of the needed program.

mIRC is a nice program however and being able to mod is what is needed. I also like the java program.. nice and clean
with that note, AIM is not a good place for alot of people to chat, lol, see thats why i set up a channel on a network i know can handle alot of traffic :) and i set up a java applet for those who dont want to download mIRC, so you can get on easy with no problems. :)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

No comment on my font issue? j/k
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Border,

If the group decides to go the mIRC route, I think it would be nice if someone posted a quick "cheat sheet" of simple commands that could be used while in the chat. I, for one, found it frustrating to try and keep up with the conversation and find the commands. I kept Google searching and finding stuff, but most of them didn't seem to work on my install of mIRC.

Ray
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I love the alias fuction of mIRC... maybe someone could make the long commands into a text file to be pasted into the alias... like make /join #bigochat into just /bigo
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

you are soo lazy just type it out!! =]
tone