Lord of the Rings Two Towers for PS2

Discuss video games from NES to PS2 to PC to whatever.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

whosurdaddy

Lord of the Rings Two Towers for PS2

Post by whosurdaddy »

i know im gettin the game for x-mas, and i just wanted to know if anybody has it or has played it. it looks awesome, and i just wanted to know what everybody who has played it thinkgs about it. thanx
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Last week played through this game once, as Aragorn. I'm playing through a second time as Gimli right now. It's cool.

The gameplay is simple, but fun. It's a lot like Golden Axe, or Final Fight, but they have a combo system, and you can purchase power-ups and additional moves throughout the game.

The game's production values are top-notch, though. It's just shiny as hell. The action is frantic, with hordes of baddies (20+) on the screen all the time.. and the cutscenes (both in-game, and clips from the movies) are great.

There's 1 secret mission to unlock and 1 secret character to unlock, so it's got some replay value (which is good, since I beat it the first time in just 2 days). You also get a ranking on each mission, and I doubt you'll unlock all of a character's powerups/moves on your first round through the game (you can go back and replay old missions with your character, after you've beaten it). There's also a lot of DVD-style extras (interviews, making-of's..), but I haven't checked those out too much (I still haven't even seen the extended version of the first movie, or the second movie..).

It screams for cooperative multiplayer, but doesn't have it. Also, there's not too much in the way of a story -- it's more about getting to play selected scenes from the movie (or similar scenes), than telling the story.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Yeah I rented it and loved it. I highly recommend it to anyone. I did beat it in one day with all of the characters and everything, so that was slightly a let down, but I had alot of fun doing so. Most of the missions are still fun to go back and play over and over again. I too wish there was a cooperative support, but even with out that it is well worth it to play.

Each character has his own advantages. Legolas is definately my favorite (in the books and movies as well). Gimli is the strongest and has the most shield (once you upgrade it all the way) but is slow as a slug. He can kill a troll with one swipe once you upgrade his axe all the way. Legolas' arrows become incredible with all his upgrades. They start your foes on fire and penetrate them hitting everyone in their path. The only problem with Legolas is that his shield is very small, but once you become experienced enough that shouldn't make any difference. Aragorn is obviously the best swordsman and has a medium sized shield. He is great for close battles (which there are alot of). I won't spoil the secret character for those who havn't played it, but let's just say he is the best of everything... although I personally would have chosen someone else to be the secret character and was somewhat dissapointed when I found out it wasn't who I was hoping for.

My biggest complaint about the game is the way the camera angles switch. Instead of rotating to the new positioning they simply cut from one angle to the other, sometimes making gameplay quit awkward. Several times I could not even see my character and had to fight with guesswork. You'll see what I mean when you play it.

The key to the game is to get those special moves down. The rising attack is the most crucial to use. You can get it very very early in the game and it comes in handy if you use it. Different moves are good for different enemies, so test them all out. You can go back and replay levels which is a good oportunity to fine tune your combos.

There are a few moves which are called "banes" they upgrade throughout the game and can then be used on more and more types of enemies. When you use one (and it is sometimes hard to get the combo in before being struck to the ground) everything goes into slow-mo and you do some fancy sword (or axe) work and finish off the nearby enemies. It is very nicely done with eye gouges, slit throats, etc. I play heavily infested levels (such as the tower at the end) just to play with those slow-mo moves :)
:D
whosurdaddy

Post by whosurdaddy »

well i probably wont be able to beat it in one day, cuz im not an experienced playstation player...ive always been a nintendo player. but itll be fun, cuz i love the movie and books, and ill love to have it all at my control :P 8) but ill still have fun, watchin the clips n all. and its one of those games thats fun to master n stuff. thanx for the input guys.
whosurdaddy

Post by whosurdaddy »

i got the game, and ive been playing it...ive almost beaten it but cuz im a dumbas$ i didnt get a memory card, so i couldnt save it :evil: :x the cinematics are great, and the gameplay is awesome.