ResHack with Windows XP

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

ResHack with Windows XP

Post by Master Jedi »

I used ResHack to change the little picture on te left of the start menu (when its in classic start menu mode) in the explorer.exe of Windows XP and saved as something else which I set to my custom shell, but it doesn't shell properly. I did it in windows 2000 and it worked fine. How can I do this in XP?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

On a not-so-related topic...but using ResHack with Windows 98..I was exploring the "explorer.exe" ..and found this screen shot.

Which proves my point exactly, that Windows 98 is just an upgrade with few improvements(if any) upon Windows 95.

Just for reference... I am using Windows 98se, when you look at this screenshot.

EDIT : the image in the right side of Reshack is the old start menu image from the start menu from within Windows 95.
(and the image has been resized/compressed to save space)
Attachments
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (47.85 KiB) Viewed 5258 times
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

That's funny...but it still doesnt help me with my XP start menu. :(
Matt

Post by Matt »

Instead of using Reshack, I am using Style XP, part of the theme XP package. Just type in "ThemeXP" or "StyleXP" in google to go to their site. (Its down, but there is an additional site on google in which you can download it. (BTW...its like a 30 day trial...not free :()
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
ZildjianB

Post by ZildjianB »

xWastedMindx wrote:On a not-so-related topic...but using ResHack with Windows 98..I was exploring the "explorer.exe" ..and found this screen shot.

Which proves my point exactly, that Windows 98 is just an upgrade with few improvements(if any) upon Windows 95.

Just for reference... I am using Windows 98se, when you look at this screenshot.

EDIT : the image in the right side of Reshack is the old start menu image from the start menu from within Windows 95.
Out of curiosity, did you upgrade from Win 95 to Win 98se?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

ZildjianB wrote:
xWastedMindx wrote:On a not-so-related topic...but using ResHack with Windows 98..I was exploring the "explorer.exe" ..and found this screen shot.

Nope. Sure didn't. I own the Windows 98se CD. I will NEVER do an upgrade. As I said before...just goes to show how much they've changed Windows over the years. :-?
ZildjianB

Post by ZildjianB »

xWastedMindx wrote:
ZildjianB wrote:

Nope. Sure didn't. I own the Windows 98se CD. I will NEVER do an upgrade. As I said before...just goes to show how much they've changed Windows over the years. :-?
LOL... yeah, it really doesn't surprise me one bit either way. Typical MS.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Makes you wonder just how many MBs of useless junk is in Win98SE (or any other MS program).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

Also if u look what i found in windows ME

And in the version info it say Windows 2000 but i am running Windows ME

fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Well the 98 image thingy I can see showing up in WinMe.. it's nothing but a sorry attempt at making more money, the bad part is.. from everyone that I have heard from say it's worse than Win98se. And I pitty the fools that actually still use it! :roll: Not me of course...
Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

I still use it..but only because I'm 17 and still live at home so my dad handles buying the software and hasnt got around to buying XP or 2k. And it's true, I would much rather have 98. Actually, I used 95 a little while ago on my Grandfathers really old (in computer years) computer and I liked it better than Me. Friggin' M$.
Official Beta Tester
ExploreAnywhere Software, LLC

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

lol, ME is a freaking joke. microsoft didn't put any work into that OS whatsoever.
Prouderesterest Moderator of the Schwippy.com forums.
Look! I can make an egg stand up on the first day of spring and winter! Can you? :D
XIII
Addict
Addict

Post by XIII »

I was wondering, in Exploror.exe, i can change the little picture next to "start", right? Well which file do I edit for that?
If it helps, im running Windows XP home edition.
Anarchy and Peace - Learn and Teach.
Kill the panda!
Matt

Post by Matt »

With XP, you can download StyleXP which changes your whole computer's theme.

To answer your question...I'm not sure because I haven't gotten into all that stuff...yet. I do know that WinXP keeps the theme files from StyleXP in "C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Login Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\" I dunno if that helped any...
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
collegegrrl

Post by collegegrrl »

there is a program in addition to StyleXP called StyleBuilder which allows you to edit and create visual styles/themes for windows. since the stylexp site is down right now, i can't really tell you how to get the program...i suggest searching for it on download.com or google.com. i have the program and it's slightly complicated because of all the little components of xp themes (ie when you hover your mouse over a toolbar button or the start menu or any number of other buttons, that button's appearance changes), but if you start with an existing theme you can really get somewhere.