Stupid System Tray

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

terraforce
Just Registered
Just Registered

Stupid System Tray

Post by terraforce »

windowsxp build 2600
latest aim
latest aim+

i dont know if it's just my problem or not, but i'm having a very annoying problem with aim, and aim+. i know that you need to shut off aim complete in order NOT to have it clone. however, after i installed aim+ 2.00 (prev build), i noticed whenever i close aim (just pressing 'x') it disappears from my system tray, YET i know it's there because when i press ALT+CTL+DEL it's there. did anyone else experience this problem?
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

This is a bug with the latest AIM beta and WindowsXP and has nothing to do with whether or not you are running AIM+.

For some reason, when you "sign off" by pressing the X or choosing sign off, the AIM icon disappears from the system tray. However, this should not happen, and does not happen in any other OS, because signing off does not close AIM. This caused a lot of confusion with unwanted clones popping up all over the place.

Your best bet is to always close AIM by right clicking the icon in the system tray and choosing exit. That way you will always know for sure that you closed down AIM completely.

Hopefully the next release of AIM will have this issue resolved.
Last edited by Big-O Mark on Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

The net result of the problem with the latest AIM beta is that you cannot sign off AIM. If you try to do this, using AIM+, you'll end up with the 'cloning problem'.

You can:
1) exit AIM, and restart it when you want to sign on again.
2) choose "switch screen name", as long as you've got a window open you won't "lose" AIM, though it will disappear from the tray
3) turn off "allow cloning" in AIM+ preferences, and this way you can simply run AIM+ again, and if AIM has disappeared from the tray, it will popup and re-appear, rather than launching a clone.

Using option 3, you can still create an AIM+ clone by choosing the "AIM+ Clone" option from the + button, or the AIM+ menus.

I hope this helps you!
-Ryan
Big-O Software
B|ackWo|f

Post by B|ackWo|f »

Is this problem only with the latest AIM or is it Windows XP, and the latest AIM+ beta? I'm running AIM 4.7.2480 & Windows XP and what terraforce described doesn't happen to me. If you goto My Aim -> Edit Options -> Edit Preferences, and select the Buddy List, is the box checked where it says: "Sign off when Buddy List window is closed." If so maybe that could be part of it?

I'll go try the latest AIM and see if that's my problem(or not my problem :D)...
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

This problem only occurs when running WindowsXP and AIM 4.8.2646, so that's why you're not experiencing it.

The "Sign off when Buddy List window is closed" option enabled makes AIM sign off if you hit the X on the buddy list. Disabled, this option minimizes AIM and takes it out of the taskbar when you hit the X button.

This option, when enabled in WindowsXP and the latest AIM beta, makes it appear as though AIM is closed by removing the AIM icon from the system tray, thus the confusion.
-Mark
Big-O Software
B|ackWo|f

Post by B|ackWo|f »

Cool, no upgrading for me then :D
Do you think college kids in Japan get English words tattooed all over themselves?
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Here is a link to the AIM webpage's list of known issues. Right up near the top you can see the system tray bug, along with a number of other non-AIM+ bugs.
-Mark
Big-O Software