Tablet PCs

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Tablet PCs

Post by Dice599 »

I was thinking on getting one this summer for when I go to college instead of a regular desktop PC. I was wondering what everone's take on them is. I don't think they're quite there, but think they might be close in six months. What bout you?
Official Beta Tester
ExploreAnywhere Software, LLC

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
HuTcH
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by HuTcH »

They look like they might be pretty usefull, though delicate. I think I honestly would get a laptop instead.
HuTcH has spoken...
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

wait..... whats the difference between laptop, and tablet? i forget

(i probably knoe, i just cant think of it :-? )

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Ok.. heres the deal. The table is like a PDA, whereas you can have a surface to point and click with your little touchpad screen and pen. Set up appointment/schedule everything and whatnot.

But the advantage of the Tablet over the PDA is that it opens up..sorta like one of those pocket organizer(phone number storage things)..and it's basically a mini Laptop. It has an LCD screen, a keyboard and touch pad. From screen shots I've seen it was running Windows XP!!

So it does have advantages over laptops and PDA's... only because it's basically both of them combined. But on a downside they run quite heavy on your wallet..and since it's basically a mini laptop, it probably weighs alot as well.

I would just get a laptop myself. But of course, I already have one. :P

And heres a link to the site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/default.asp
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

I personally would also get a normal laptop. However, I think the idea behind the tablet is cool. I've heard you can write on it and it'll transcribe what you write. But I don't think it would work with my handwriting. I type better. :lol: er, maybe the correct smiley would be :roll:

But I think they would be great for artists. As I say, when you go buy a computer get something that fits your needs.
Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Sverdlove.com/MusicalHorizon.com "Site Admin"
http://www.sverdlove.com
http://www.musicalhorizon.com
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I will stick with my trusty laptop. The tablet pc handwriting reconition softwear is not up spec yet. It not always on. Now if you have there perfec handwriting, and if you do I will kill you, it will work fine. But it not a powerful as a laptop and the Hard drive space is less than a laptop
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

From what I read.. if I remember correectly..the handwriting technology has some sort of AI built into it where it will learn your writing style..and then improve upon it.. i think it can even predict what you're going to write.. (not too sure on that last part though).
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

LOL. I would love to see it learn my handwriting because not even I can read it half the time
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Timelessblurr wrote:LOL. I would love to see it learn my handwriting because not even I can read it half the time
I dont think it can learn that 'Chicken Scratch' handwriting style.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I would definately get an actual computer (desktop or laptop) over a tablet PC. I have read up on them and they certainly would not suffice for me. The nice ones can run a version of XP and they are essentially a handheld computer, but I would use a tablet as supplementary, not as a primary computer. They are rather expensive, and the battery life is certainly not satisfactory in comparison to a laptop. Save your money, get a more powerful laptop, and wait a year or two to get a tablet.
:D
whosurdaddy

Post by whosurdaddy »

my uncle works for the company that makes the components n stuff for them, and he got one free, and gave it to me cuz he didnt really need it. there really nice, and handy if your "on the run" a lot, and need to type up a document or something. it is pretty much like a small laptop. id still recomend a laptop, for most of the reasons people have already stated...but there neat little gadgets :)
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

whosurdaddy wrote:my uncle works for the company that makes the components n stuff for them, and he got one free.
You mean Acer?? Haha..that's who develops these "tablet PC's" for Micro$oft.
It's really sad that after all these years, M$ still cant do anything on their own. They have other companies create products for them.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

This is just my take on the situation, but I think that if you're getting a laptop right now (or in the future), you're probably going to be getting a Tablet PC.

They are supposed to be used like a PocketPC/Palm device, but one that is 8.5x11", and is a full-featured computer running WindowsXP (Tablet Edition, which has all the touch-screen, handwriting, pressure-sensitive stuff built in).

I've been looking forward to these for years (I love Palm/PocketPCs, and have never had a laptop).

What I didn't expect, though, is that nearly all of the new TabletPCs are "clamshell" design (instead of "slate").

Slate means that they function only with their touch-screen (and they're usually smaller), although you can plug in a USB keyboard/mouse if you want (TabletPC's are the same hardware as laptops, except for the screen).

But most of the current designs are Clamshells - which means the screen can be folded out and flipped over, to be used exactly like a laptop (with a laptop keyboard/touchpad underneath).

Most of them also have built-in wireless, and I hear that the pressure-sensitive screens work quite well, even for artists.

So, if you're in the market for a laptop, you'll probably end up getting a TabletPC. It might be a little less powerful for the money than a laptop (or else about 300$ more), but laptops have never been powerhouses, anyway.

Of course, I've never actually held or used a TabletPC.. 8) although I've stopped by CompUSA and Best Buy a couple times, they didn't have them yet., naybe tomorrow..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
XIII
Addict
Addict

Post by XIII »

my EX principal would always get a new PDA or laptop or tablet or whatnot about every 3 months... kinda off topic, but now we know where our taxes went at the time.
Anarchy and Peace - Learn and Teach.
Kill the panda!