Attachments to posts

Website stuff

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Attachments to posts

Post by Master Jedi »

When I have an attachment to a post and I want to upload a newer version, I hit the button to edit the post. Then theres a button to view the attachments to that post. Underneath each attachment, there's a button that says "upload new version" that doesn't do anything. If I click it, it says something about supplying a filename. Is this broken or just not implemented?
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

idejsecrofkrad,

I think you need to click on Add an Attachment, Browse to the file you want to replace and select it. Then click on 'Posted Attachments' to show the attachments you have posted. Then click on the "Upload New Version" button (instead of the 'Add New Attachment' button to the right of the 'File Comments' box).

Ray
Last edited by harra on Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

cant you just delete the attachment? And then reupload the new version?
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

You can, but then it would require you to go out and then come back into 'Edit' mode for your post. It could be annoyingly time comsuming.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

harra wrote:You can, but then it would require you to go out and then come back into 'Edit' mode for your post. It could be annoyingly time comsuming.
Haha.. you must be on Dial up then. :D

That's not time consuming for me.. it takes of all about 3 seconds to move between posts, and edit / attachments and the sort.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Actually,

I'm on broadband, but this BB is always painfully slow for me. It also times out alot for me. This happens both at home (cable modem) and at work (T3).

Ray
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

I know how to replace an existing attachment. I just want to know what "Upload New Version" does and how to use it.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

xWastedMindx wrote:cant you just delete the attachment? And then reupload the new version?
That's what I do...but isn't that what the "Upload New Version" btton is for???
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Honestly it's a lot more complicated than with vBulliten. In vBulliten you just select your file with the Browse button, check a box saying to overwrite previous attachment and you are set.

phpBB looks like they want you to:
  1. Click on 'Add an Attachment' and browse to your new file just like you you normally do to add an attachment.
  2. Click on 'Posted Attachments' to view all attachments and to allow you to select the one you want to Delete or Update.
  3. Click on the 'Upload new Version' to overwrite the old attachment with the one you selected in the first step
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

harra wrote:Honestly it's a lot more complicated than with vBulliten. In vBulliten you just select your file with the Browse button, check a box saying to overwrite previous attachment and you are set.

phpBB looks like they want you to:
  1. Click on 'Add an Attachment' and browse to your new file just like you you normally do to add an attachment.
  2. Click on 'Posted Attachments' to view all attachments and to allow you to select the one you want to Delete or Update.
  3. Click on the 'Upload new Version' to overwrite the old attachment with the one you selected in the first step
I agree...but it doesn't work that way. Like I said in my original post: Is it broken or am I supposed to use it differently?
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Sorry, I should've probably tested this before I opened my big mouth. A thousand appologies.

Ray
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

harra wrote:Sorry, I should've probably tested this before I opened my big mouth. A thousand appologies.

Ray
No apology necessary. I don't think anyone else got what I was saying either.