Clone Identification in the System Tray

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Speebs

Clone Identification in the System Tray

Post by Speebs »

I think it would be useful if you could tell one AIM icon from another when they are minimized to the system tray. Right now, when I have 2 instances of AIM running and they're both minimized to the tray, there is no way to tell them apart. Some cloning methods use different colored icons, but even something as simple as descriptive tooltips would be fine. So when I hover over them, one might say "AIM+: Speebs" and one might say "AIM+: OtherList"

Once again, excellent product! Thank you so much big-? !
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

It's a bit friendly in WindowsXP, I've found, because if you have a couple IM windows open, or even an IM and your buddy list, WindowsXP will group them together, but keep separate taskbar groups for each instance of AIM. (if you haven't used XP yet, that probably won't make sense - but XP groups all your windows of one type together (like all your IE windows, or AIM windows) in one taskbar button)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

In the past I have used ResourceHack and changed the color of the tray icons to blue and another dark green. This way I could quickly tell the difference in the system tray.

I notice that AIM+ deletes the new clone directories contents automatically (not sure when, I imagine when I exit the clone). Perhaps if a user pplaces a custom aimres.dll in the clone directory AIM+ will not overwrite it, or ever delete it from the clone c0,c1,c2,... directory.

Post by Guest »

No, no... what I meant was the little icon in the tray next to the clock. Different colors would be useful (maybe each instance can use a separate icon in aim+.dll?). Right now it's just hard trying to guess which icon goes with which buddy list (especially when I want to close one).

Steve, I have not yet discovered how to change the icon colors in reshack. How did you do it?

Thanks!
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

There are a few ways I use to figure out which system tray AIM icon corresponds with each clone. First, your original instance of AIM will be the left-most icon in the system tray because it was loaded first. The newest instance will be the one to the right. Second, if you double click the an AIM icon in the system tray, the instance it points to will be on top.

All of the color ideas are grand and all, and I think it would be neat, but it still doesn't tell you which screenname the icon points to. I think the easiest solution, if possible, would be to change the text displayed when you roll the mouse over the icon. Instead of "AOL Instant Messenger (SM)" it could be "AOL IM - Screenname 1" ... "AOL IM - Screenname 2" ... etc.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Anon: The little icon next to the clock is called the System Tray (or SysTray) Icon. That area is called the System Tray. I beleive that you and iSteve530 were referring to the same thing.

iSteve530: This is a very good idea, but you know that if I were to implement it, it would be far easier than that (i'd take care of the icon colors for you, etc). :)

Mookie: You're right, except it's worth noting that in Windows XP, icons are added to the tray in the opposite order (newer icons are on the left, or upper left when the tray is multiple rows tall).

Changing the colors of the icons, changing the text in the tooltip (that pops up when your mouse hovers over the system tray icon for a second), both of these sound like great possibilities.

I personally think that changing the text would be the most helpful.. Though I suppose I could also allow you to assign an icon color to each screen name, too. That sounds nice as well.

More thoughts?
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Speebs

Post by Speebs »

Ryan, that "Anonymous" was me. It wouldn't let me post when I put in my Username :)

I guess I was confused about what you were talking about, I'm not too familiar with XP. I think multicolored icons and rollover tooltips would be awesome features if they aren't too hard to implement.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Speebs: The system tray has been around since Windows95, it's still the same old thing, the collection of icons by the clock ('on' the taskbar). But dont' worry, more than a few people wouldn't know what it is called :).

Also, sorry about the board's problems with posting recently.. the latest version of phpBB has been giving us a some trouble, especially when trying to post while not logged in.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Speebs

Post by Speebs »

I know what the system tray is! :) I just thought that in your reply, you were talking about the regular taskbar buttons and not systray icons. Anyway, that's entirely irrelevant now that we're on the same page :)
inataysia

Post by inataysia »

Big-? Ryan wrote:Mookie: You're right, except it's worth noting that in Windows XP, icons are added to the tray in the opposite order (newer icons are on the left, or upper left when the tray is multiple rows tall).
unrelatedly:
ryan, do you know of a way to change this behavior? since all previous versions of windows (to my knowledge) have had new tray icons appear on the right (rather than the left, as in XP), the XP behavior is actually broken, and it affects some programs. for instance multidesk 2001 beta adds some number between 2 and 8 numbered tray icons to the tray, each representing a virtual desktop. under XP these numbers are in reverse order (321 instead of 123).

anyway. that was too long a post for a simple question, so i'll restate for those who lost me. ryan, do you know of a way to change this behavior in XP?
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

inataysia: I know exactly what you mean, but I haven't seen anything to 'fix' the new behavior.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
KO

Post by KO »

Just found AIM+. Thanks to all who believe in making software more usable.

On this same topic of multiple SNs. How about just displaying the different SNs as a higher level within the same window. That way all you buddies would display in the same window without having to worry about multiple instances. Just a thought.
cypherjf
Just Registered
Just Registered

all i want is....

Post by cypherjf »

All i want it to do in the taskbar is to display like "AIM+: my screenname 1" "AIM+:my screen name 2", i don't care which IM it is.. just the buddy lists.. i flip through them so many time's they all change places lol
djstupid
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by djstupid »

Why even have multiple icons at all?

When you (left or right) click the system tray icon, a menu full of supposedly-handy functions pops up. I never ever use any of these options (cept maybe the away message), but it gave me an idea: If AIM+ only had a single tray icon no matter how many clones you had, then when you clicked the icon you could see all of your clone screen names at once. You then pick one, and that Buddy List window is activated (restored, I guess).

Alternately, this pop-up window may have a second level: the first level lists the screen names you are using, then each of those screen names has a cascading daughter menu with all of the normal AIM icon's function options.

It's a fancy but elegant solution.

Great program!

-askROM
ERIKKFI

Post by ERIKKFI »

Trust me guys, color is the way to go...

The whole point is that I don't want to roll over the systray icon every time I hear the dooropen or doorslam sound. If you're like me, you only have two AIM windows open.. (why in God's name would you need any more than three at most?)

I've got two AIM icons in my tray. I've altered all of the AIM sounds for my plus clone, so I know which SN they are coming from, but I often misclick the window because I forget which icon goes to which client. Just include like 8 different color variations of the AIM tray icon in the AIM+ installer, and let us select one in the options for our SNs. It's just like picking sounds or fonts for the client. Come on, you guys can do it! =)

PS- Puhleeeease hurry up and give us the ability to fake idle status. I have people I want to ignore. =D

Wow, I'm an arse. Thanks a lot you guys!

Ekelly29@{{_deletethispart_}}cox.net