I Made an AwayBox stand alone clone

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

I Made an AwayBox stand alone clone

Post by Plasma2002b »

title pretty much tells the tale.

but heres the thing.... this is extremely alpha. lol

what im doin is gettin this online cause ive had a few people talk about it and stuff. And what this does is the absoloute basics right now.

Yall need to come up with some good feedback and stuff though. Like for one thing i definatly need a real GUI to it :P

lol, i put this together over the past few hours tonight, so its nothing spectacular......... yet

right now it has that timer option that everyone has been raving about, an away message manager (load and save a list), and random cycling and stuff............

so yeah.... at least check it out.

-------------------------
EDIT:
you can download the ZIP here:
www.schwippy.com/Away.zip
Last edited by Plasma2002b on Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

hey plasma I found a problem that your program can cause with AIM(that or it in AIM and you program makes it happen). I testting it out and I set the ramdom away message to 1 sec. after a few sec it start going into an ok book say that it can no remove away message. I guessing that AIM does not want people change. I think it has to do with the rate limit and it still there with away message.

Oh and the program rocks. I going to love using it. Thanks for making it
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

well yeah.... your right about one thing.... thats the rate limiting. (you wouldnt believe how often i ran into that crap while debugging this, lol)

I cant really do anything about it, except restrict the user from entering anything below a certain number...... but yeah.... i dunno... lets see what everyone else thinks.

and remember... this is just alpha anyways :P lol, there really isnt anything complicated in the code. (except for maybe those DAMN TIMER funtions :evil: .............those things kept me busy for a while :-? )

Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

ok ok.... i got bored and tired of looking at that god awfull design :evil: so i made a better GUI to it......

no new features are in it yet, but im planning on doing a preset away manager loader (like school, work, etc)

i also included some text files in the zip to get you started (from awaymessages.com)

gimme some sugestions on it and ideas

:P

(download the ZIP here: www.schwippy.com/Away.zip )

Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

What?! No source?!...I wan't source!...lol
skudz
Addict
Addict

Post by skudz »

nice program i have wanted to have one of these, cool ;D

but i noticed u cant set the "Update away messages every: # seconds" to anything greater than 60. when i set to 66 or such it will say "Run-time error '380': Invalid Property use"

other than that it runs fine ;D
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

skudz wrote:"Run-time error '380': Invalid Property use"
:-?

crap.... stupid timer control..... hey idejsecrofkrad, can the vb timer controls not go over 60000 or something?

im gonna haveto look into this
Last edited by Plasma2002b on Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Plasma2002b wrote:
skudz wrote:"Run-time error '380': Invalid Property use"
:-?

crap.... stupid timer control..... hey idejsecrofkrad, can the vb timer controls not go over 60000 or something?

im gonna haveto look into this
You're using it wrong. Give the timer a fixed value of 1 second. Then in the timer's "Timer" event, have it check how long it has been since the last message change. If it's time to change the message, update a variable that says when the last message change occurred. The timer should check the value of the variable and use DateDiff to determine how long it has been since the last change and if another should occur.

Code: Select all

Dim LastChange as Date
Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
  If DateDiff("n", LastChange, Now) > Interval then ' "n" is the char for minute
    'Change Message
    LastChange = Now
  End If
End Sub
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

FIXED!

lol, thanx idejsecrofkrad.... you da man.

i never really used the DateDiff function often (once or twice before :oops: ), so thats y i didnt use it at first.

(and by the way, weve established that you are a better programmer than me, so no need to rub it in) lol
Last edited by Plasma2002b on Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

I'm getting an error, but I think I need VB installed. Here's the error I get when opening away.exe:

Is there any way I can work around installing VB again?
Prouderesterest Moderator of the Schwippy.com forums.
Look! I can make an egg stand up on the first day of spring and winter! Can you? :D
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Punkster.. check out this page:

http://www.webattack.com/help/missingfiles.html

It will provide you with relevant information, and links to download the additional program files that should've been included at install time. :wink:
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

ok yeah.... i just included the ocx in the zip, but i think im gonna take it out and just put a link to that site for the few people that dont have the ocx yet so my zip doesnt get to big 8)

thanx wasted

Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Plasma2002b wrote:ok yeah.... i just included the ocx in the zip, but i think im gonna take it out and just put a link to that site for the few people that dont have the ocx yet so my zip doesnt get to big 8)

thanx wasted
The thread for my history viewer has an attachment with COMDLG32, MSCOMCTL, and MSCOMCT2 (all service pack 4).
http://discuss.big-o-software.com/download.php?id=118
Almost every program I write uses these controls. They're good to have.

Plasma, if you don't mind, I think I might distribute this with my history viewer. I'll probably add an option in the installer that says "Install Plasma2002b's Away Message Manager"
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

idejsecrofkrad wrote:Plasma, if you don't mind, I think I might distribute this with my history viewer. I'll probably add an option in the installer that says "Install Plasma2002b's Away Message Manager"
lol, thats cool with me, but wait at least until version 1 :wink: lol

i just added some INI file saving stuff so ya dont gotta set everything again everytime.... and it puts the last used messages in a temp file too.....

i emailed the awaymessages.com webmaster asking for permission to use the away messages he's collected by integrating them into the program, so im trying to think of a good way to execut this too.....

and also what i got an idea of is maybe have this run in the system tray so its always available for you to access quickly.... like if you click it once it just pops up a box to type a quick away message, press enter and thats it (i loved this cause its a little more complicated with AIM). And maybe on that same popup it would also let ya click for some preset away messages it can cycle through too.

so yeah..... its STILL beta :wink: lol.... im only on revision 5 lol :P

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Plasma2002b wrote:lol.... im only on revision 5 lol :P
LOL...ONLY revision 5. You make it sound like you're having fun with it Plasma! :lol: