Dreamweaver MX

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Dreamweaver MX

Post by DADINK13 »

Does any of you guys out there use and know Macromedia Dreamweaver MX at all? I intend on overhauling my personal page to not only reflect new font and color changes with my AIM, but also to make it a bit easier to navigate.

I'm open to any suggestions you guys may have on how to make the page easier to navigate, so either post them here, IM me at DADINK13, or email me at dadink13@yahoo.com

If anybody out there knows how to use Dreamweaver MX at all and doesn't mind taking a bit of time out to explain a bit of how it works and such, please let me know.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: the URL for my personal page is http://www.geocities.com/dadink13
Last edited by DADINK13 on Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuuucckkers

Re: Dreamweaver MX

Post by fuuucckkers »

DADINK13 wrote:Does any of you guys out there use and know Macromedia Dreamweaver MX at all? I intend on overhauling my personal page to not only reflect new font and color changes with my AIM, but also to make it a bit easier to navigate.

I'm open to any suggestions you guys may have on how to make the page easier to navigate, so either post them here, IM me at DADINK13, or email me at dadink13@yahoo.com

If anybody out there knows how to use Dreamweaver MX at all and doesn't mind taking a bit of time out to explain a bit of how it works and such, please let me know.

Thanks! :)
Have you tried running through the Help, and Tutorials?? Those do help tons for inexperienced users. :)
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Re: Dreamweaver MX

Post by DADINK13 »

xWastedMindx wrote:Have you tried running through the Help, and Tutorials?? Those do help tons for inexperienced users. :)
No not yet actually. I just got the thing installed, and I've been busy with work and such, so I haven't really had time to sit down and figure it out for myself.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Yes I've been using dreamweaver for a few years and just recently upgraded to MX last fall. Let me know what you need help with and I'll try my best.
:D
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Well like I said, I intend on completely overhauling my page. I'm thinking of using frames and such, but I don't intend on doing this for a while. At the moment I'm just gathering ideas on how to make the page better, load quicker, and easier to navigate.

I do want to add more content to it. But I'm not sure as of right now what to add.

I know very little HTML..just basic formatting. I'm not looking into anything fancy, but I am looking for something that catches the eye..and maybe even a logo for my future production company: CD Productions, Inc.

Like I said, if you have any thoughts or suggestions, lemme know and I'll make notes of it.
ZildjianB

Post by ZildjianB »

DADINK13 wrote:Well like I said, I intend on completely overhauling my page. I'm thinking of using frames and such, but I don't intend on doing this for a while. At the moment I'm just gathering ideas on how to make the page better, load quicker, and easier to navigate.

I do want to add more content to it. But I'm not sure as of right now what to add.

I know very little HTML..just basic formatting. I'm not looking into anything fancy, but I am looking for something that catches the eye..and maybe even a logo for my future production company: CD Productions, Inc.

Like I said, if you have any thoughts or suggestions, lemme know and I'll make notes of it.
I've been using Studio MX since September. I'd recommend staying away from frames unless you're really hooked on them... they're usually just a pain and really complicate things unnecessarily. If you're trying to keep the same "look" and "feel" from page to page I'd recommend trying to create a Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) as well as looking into Dreamweaver's Template feature. Both will make life easy on you once you figure them out.

As for navigation: I'd recommend Dreamweaver's Navigation Bar wizard if you have some experience creating/editing images. This will allow you to use a bunch of different rollover effects on your buttons, and you do not need to know any javascript to do it.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

I can't stand DreamWeaver MX. When I write pages on a Windows comp, I use Evrsoft 1st Page, a simple-to-use HTML editor. On Mac OS 9 and below I use Cinnamon WebMaster Suite, and when I design pages on my laptop I used TextEdit.

(Oh, and as Zildjian B suggested, definitely use CSS!)
collegegrrl

Post by collegegrrl »

dreamweaver sucks my resources (my CPU monitor jumps to 100% when i'm entering any sort of text), so i only use it to create the basic layout for my page (which is largely because i still can't really do tables and frames in straight html) but i use notepad to tweak the pages and make minor updates. do you use stylesheets for your site? that will make a world of difference when you want to do an overhaul of colors, backgrounds, etc...just upload a new CSS file with the same classes as your old one...although i was an idiot and didn't start using CSS until i was nearly finished with my entire site, so i still have to go through and fix a bunch of stuff to really make it useful. :roll:

as far as frames go, i would highly recommend them. once you get your main frameset created, it's so much easier to change the title of your site, add navigation links, etc...check out my webpage for how i used them to my advantage... http://portfolio.iu.edu/cstrodtb/main.htm
Last edited by collegegrrl on Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

My website was made by me..typing it up in ( :o ) Microsoft Word. I know very little HTML. I can set up a basic skeleton and do basic formatting from there. Anything outside of that is greek to me.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

DADINK13 wrote:My website was made by me..typing it up in ( :o ) Microsoft Word. I know very little HTML. I can set up a basic skeleton and do basic formatting from there. Anything outside of that is greek to me.
Mwahaha..

If you'd like to learn HTML and some CSS for formatting purposed, check out http://www.w3schools.com
collegegrrl

Post by collegegrrl »

oh, and check out http://www.webmonkey.com for tutorials and reference sheets...they havea list of a hex codes for colors (although photoshop and paint shop pro list them automatically), php and cgi tutorials, and some scripts you can copy and use for your site.