Post by Big-O Mark »

Which do you like better, and why?
-Mark
Big-O Software
Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

I'm gonna go w/ pro's b/c even though the money issue overshadows a lot of things, it is still better performance than college. Although college can sometimes be more fun to watch (like this years Fiesta Bowl), I think pro is better.
Official Beta Tester
ExploreAnywhere Software, LLC

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I'm definately going to go with college. Their games are much more entertaining to watch IMO because most of them are still playing because they love playing, their not playing so they can make millions more (even though that is a pretty good incentive). The games are just better I think.
:D
Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

jester22c wrote:I'm definately going to go with college. Their games are much more entertaining to watch IMO because most of them are still playing because they love playing, their not playing so they can make millions more (even though that is a pretty good incentive). The games are just better I think.
If you're watchin D1 games most of the kids playin' are playin' for money though..they are playing for the money that they're gonna earn when they go pro...thats why most declare themselves eligible so soon.
Official Beta Tester

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Yeah that's very true... either way I just think the games are more fun to watch.
:D
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I think college is more fun. Like you said they are not playing for the money... Money can destroy would be great players when they allow them self to get all caught up in it.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

aclauser wrote:I think college is more fun. Like you said they are not playing for the money... Money can destroy would be great players when they allow them self to get all caught up in it.
That is true in some cases...but there's just something about pro.
Official Beta Tester

Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I like collage ball more. It seem more entertain. They have the band there and I like when i get to see bands march (Ok OK i spent 4 years in HS marching band and I have a deep love for it). The collage players I think are playing more for the love of the game than football. Also my favor team right now it Tech Techs Red Raiders (of course that were I plan on transerfing 2 next year.)
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

aclauser wrote:Like you said they are not playing for the money... Money can destroy would be great players when they allow them self to get all caught up in it.
I tend to disagree. For the most part, I believe kids are playing college sports for one of several reasons
  • Full scholarship, thereby, a free ride to an education. They are technically getting paid for their sports prowess
  • A ticket to the "big show"
  • Let's face it, most Division I schools are handing out some much free crap to these kids under that table it is sick (cars, women, cash, etc). According to NCAA rules they can't hold jobs outside the school campus. Where are they getting the money to afford those cool rides most of them drive?
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I vote the 3rd, not listed option........ Club-League sports. Those are truely the people who play for the "love of the game". I was raised on soccer and rugby. Rugby kiss some serious butt and is the father of American Football. Soccer is the grand-father of American Football. The guys that play for the American Eagles Rugby league make peanuts in comparison to Baseball, Basketball, and football players. Plus, in the off-season they hold real jobs.

I got the priviledge of playing for the Gentleman of Aspen Rugby Football Club who are considered the premier club in the nation. I got to play with several guys who also play for the US professional team and when they aren't playing rugby, most of them were construction workers and made barely enough to scrape by. To me, that was true dedication and love of the game. Every member of the American Eagles has an association with a Club League team that they play for also. When they aren't playing in a competition with the American Eagles, they are playing for their club league team. That is where they keep their skills sharp. It would be as if the various members of the American League and National League baseball teams only came together for games, but the rest of the time they practiced and played games with the minor-league team from their various home towns......for no money!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Your talking minor league just before the big time? Like A-Leauge/MSL, and Triple-A/MLB? These leagues just come to mind since we have the Rochester Rhinos (A-League), and Rochester Red Wings (Triple-A) here.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

No I am talking about club league. The only sports that I believe utilize club-league teams is rugby and soccer. Club leagues are for no compensation. You get no pay at all. Some clubs will help you find a job if you are exceptional at what you do on the team.

I used the minor league reference in my previous post because that is the closest thing I could think of that would relate to what I was talking about. I personally have a big beef against pay-for-play sports. After getting a first-hand glimpse of guys who play sports on the club (non-paid) level and who also played for the Professional team (who at most got compensated at $30K/year). I started to see how sports were meant to be played.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Ya. That all makes sence. I *think* that the "mother" league/club that controls MLS/A-League (USL) has this, I'm thinking its like D3 but I dont see anything on their site (its seems they had their domain name snatched from them and just recently got it back).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

I think they are both about the same. By the time the atheletes in the bg sports make it to college, many of them appear to do so, not for the educational aspect (ie Katzenmoyer from Ohio State) as to make it to the pros for the big bucks.

I used to think that there were some players in the pros who still played for the love of the game, but that went out the window thanks to Jim Thome. He was one of my all time favorite baseball players until he had built up the hopes of many many Indians fans by saying he wanted to stay in Cleveland and then went ahead and signed with another team because they offered him more money.

If anyone still plays for the love of the game, I think it is those who are still in junior high or younger, or those who play with their friends for fun. They do it for their own reasons, but I feel they are the ones who do it for the love of the game.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

People that play for the love of the game:

Football:
Almost any starting QB
Bret Farve jumps right out
Jim Kelly (he would do anything for his team)
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ