Gameboy Advance SP

Discuss video games from NES to PS2 to PC to whatever.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Gameboy Advance SP

Post by Big-O Ryan »

http://pocket.ign.com/articles/382/382062p1.html

Rechargeable battery, clamshell design to protect the screen, and a built-in front-lit screen. It's tiny, and if it turns out as good as IGN seems to think it will, I'm sold..

If you haven't gotten a GBA yet, I hope it's because you've been waiting for this. :) (I have) The GBA has some of the best games out there right now (Mario 4, Yoshi's Island, Zelda 3, Metroid Fusion, 2 great Castlevanias!). I missed out on almost every SNES game, so I'm especially excited.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Re: Gameboy Advance SP

Post by DADINK13 »

I read about this thing about a week ago. Looks promising, seeing how I have yet to buy a GBA as well. My only two real complaints is that it looks an awful lot like a cell phone, and the L + R buttons look fairly small. I just hope it'll still play my od Game Boy games. :)
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Re: Gameboy Advance SP

Post by Big-O Ryan »

DADINK13 wrote:I read about this thing about a week ago. Looks promising, seeing how I have yet to buy a GBA as well. My only two real complaints is that it looks an awful lot like a cell phone, and the L + R buttons look fairly small.
I was concerned about the size (especially of the shoulder buttons) as well -- IGN seems to think it works out fine, specifically commenting that the shoulder buttons were comfortable. I think the overall size should be fine, since it's design and feel looks very similar to the original Gameboy, and I found that just fine.
DADINK13 wrote:I just hope it'll still play my od Game Boy games. :)
They also commented that it was backwards compatible with every title except for one Kirby GBC game that had a special motion sensor built into the cartridge. Which actually makes me sad -- because, although I didn't know about this title before, it seems really cool!
-Ryan
Big-O Software
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Best feature ever for this which has been long overdue:

BackLight!! :P
Then you dont have to buy those damned third-party light attachments.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

xWastedMindx wrote:Best feature ever for this which has been long overdue:

BackLight!! :P
Then you dont have to buy those damned third-party light attachments.
LOL, I know. It's about time. Who else besides me would play their old-school GameBoy underneath a light when it was dark out? I sure did--back when I was playing (surprise) Metroid II. 8)

.... :lol:
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Oh god this topic. I was read about it a few weeks again over at AMV.org forum. But I may buy it when it comes out. I have the GBA but this one looks cooler and stuff. From what I read the should buttons are really easy to uses the the people who tested them like them a lot.
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

can't wait ive had it pre-ordered for the longest time now.....whoo hoo backlight finally....... ne1 remember sega nomad??? that had the back light...can't wait for this release b/c i could never see my game boy in the dark all those light attachments suck so whoo hoo hurray for the backlight
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I've been eyeballing this thing since the initials news of it's upcoming release. I have been heavily considering purchasing a GBA for a while now (especially when they had them on sale for $40 at a store here in town) but now I'm glad I've put it off. I really love hand held gaming systems and I definately think I'll love this one. The price tag is a big hefty for my liking... but I just might have to sacrifice and get one anyway :)
:D
rocket733

Post by rocket733 »

Yeah, with a lithium-ion rechagable battery and backlit for 99 bucks, why can't the cd player people put lithium-ion batteries in their cd players? (if you make cd players, put lithium-ion batteries in them :evil: )
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

There's actually no 'backlight' in the Gameboy Advance SP, it's just a built-in frontlight.

I'm still very excited about the new Gameboy. The clamshell flip design is awesome, and will protect the screen and all the buttons. IGN seems very impressed with the design, and they're not afraid to rip something apart when it deserves to be.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

IGN actually said the frontlit SP was -better- than the backlit GBA + Afterburner. I've spent a lot of time playing GBA's with Afterburners installed, and they're very good, so I have high hopes.

Of course, we'll just have to wait and see. I'm not sure if I can wait until March, though, I might have get an import.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Big-O Ryan wrote:IGN actually said the frontlit SP was -better- than the backlit GBA + Afterburner. I've spent a lot of time playing GBA's with Afterburners installed, and they're very good, so I have high hopes.

Of course, we'll just have to wait and see. I'm not sure if I can wait until March, though, I might have get an import.
Oh yeah.. I forgot about that. You can get one imported from http://lik-sang.com with a backlight installed.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I wanted to know all the colors that you can get with the new gameboy. I hope they have a clear one becuae I like to see the circites on the inside
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
rocket733

Post by rocket733 »

From what I've seen there are going to be at least two colors at launch, Metallic Silver and a Metallic Blue
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

theres 3, u 4got black
http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?category=47&

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/hardware/gbasp/index.html

2 translate, use this
http://www.worldlingo.com/wl/Translate

b shure 2 set the jap page encoding to Japanese Auto Select (if u have it installed) so u can copy and paste