Lebron James and his Hummer H2

Discuss anything sports related.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Anthony, jester22c

Matt

Post by Matt »

According to an Akron police dispatcher's report obtained by the Plain Dealer and the newspaper's interviews with the driver of the other vehicle and James' attorney, 88-year-old Iola Winston of Akron was stopped in her Dodge Stratus at a red light at an intersection near St. Vincent-St. Mary High School. James, in the driver's seat of his Hummer, was waiting at the light in front of her.

Suddenly, James' Hummer started rolling backward and collided with Winston's car, smashing her hood and radiator, Winston told the newspaper. She said James hopped out and walked over to her car. He told her that he didn't see her car there, she said.
I figured he meant to because it says whats bolded. Maybe he didnt mean to...but how hard is it to keep a foot on a break???
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Some How I douth that Hummer is a manual so I want to know how it went backwards with him putting in in Revers (Now if I was a manual I could understand a little more since half the time when I at a light my feet are not on the brakes and the car is in netrual so I can role back if the grounds not flat.)
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

j/w why could it not be a manual :-?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Well I basing that guess on the fact of how much extra stuff is in there and I am not even sure you can get an H2 as manual
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

Timeless is right. I thought it could have been because it was a manual, but I went to Hummer's homepage and then clicked on H2. Its an automatic and I didn't see any option to make it a manual... That's the only downside I see to a Hummer. :sad:
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Officials reviewing report James received free clothing

Post by Big-O Mark »

Officials reviewing report James received free clothing

Thursday, January 30

Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- First it was LeBron James' Hummer. Now, it's his clothes.

Just a few days after James was cleared of any wrongdoing for accepting a sports utility vehicle as a gift, Ohio high school officials are reviewing a report he received complimentary clothing.

Last Saturday, James, the nation's top high school player, was apparently given two free "throwback'' jerseys worth $845 at a local clothing store. The story was first reported by The Plain Dealer.

Ohio High School Athletic Association bylaws state that an athlete forfeits his or her amateur status by "capitalizing on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of monetary value.''

OHSAA commissioner Clair Muscaro is aware of the report "and is reviewing it,'' said spokesman Bob Goldring.

On Monday, Muscaro ruled that James, a senior at St. Vincent-St. Mary, would not lose his eligibility for accepting a custom-made Hummer H2 vehicle -- valued at over $50,000 -- as an 18th birthday gift from his mother. Gloria James provided loan information to support her purchase.

After attending a local high school game last weekend, James and some friends visited the clothing store "Next'' where he picked out two jerseys -- one of Chicago Bears Hall of Famer Gale Sayers, the other of Washington Bullets center Wes Unseld.

The Sayers jersey costs $395; the Unseld jersey, $450.

Store manager Derrick Craig said the store's owner gave the jerseys to James for free.

"We get celebrities in here all the time,'' said Craig, who would not identify the owner. "They spend a lot of money and sometimes you just got to give them some love.''

Goldring said OHSAA rules stipulate that athletes can't receive any kind of apparel worth more than $100.

And in the case of a school having a contract with an apparel company -- James' school has one with Adidas -- any apparel worth more than $100 is considered school-issued and must be returned by the athlete at the end of the season.

Attorney Fred Nance, who represented James and his family, was not immediately available for comment Thursday.
Doesn't it seem a little like they're out to get this kid?
-Mark
Big-O Software
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

It sure does. If this is overthrown, and another report comes up I would be suprised if it would even get a review as opposed to being thrown out right away. If I was that kid I would really be mad about all these bogas reports.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Matt

Post by Matt »

Who says they're bogas? These are news articles...right?

Either the press is really keeping a close watch on this kid, or he just likes the attention. Either way, it will hurt his future.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Actually if he is not guilty I don't think all the negative press will hurt him at all in the future. As long as the press does not turn out to be bad its good press IMO.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Personly I think they are just mad that the Hummer was proven to be ok and now they just want to get him in trouble. On a side note here in Texas student are only allowed to get a total of $250 dollars worth of gifts all for years of High School and getting out letter Jackets normal maxes us out (the school gives them to us)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I don't know how your going to prove that something that was bought at a store was a gift. People do buy them self stuff, and even though some people would refuse to believe it they don't keep proof they bought it. I tend to walk away with out the receipt, inless it is something hardware, like a computer part... Clothes don't tend to break for random reasons, and I know what size I am lol.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

James ruled ineligible, plans to appeal decision

Post by Big-O Mark »

James ruled ineligible, plans to appeal decision

Friday, January 31

ESPN.com news services

CLEVELAND -- LeBron James was ruled ineligible to play for the rest of the season because he accepted free sports jerseys, bringing a sudden end to the basketball star's celebrated high school career.

The decision Friday by the Ohio High School Athletic Association comes four days after James, a senior at St. Vincent-St. Mary, was cleared for accepting a $50,000 sport utility vehicle as a gift from his mother.

A source close to James told ESPN.com that James would appeal the decision, though it is not clear yet upon what basis the appeal will be made. The OHSAA says that if a written appeal is made, it would be heard before a state panel on Feb. 13.

Last Saturday, James was given two retro sports jerseys from a clothing store. The jerseys, honoring former Chicago Bears running back Gale Sayers and former Washington Bullets center Wes Unseld, cost a combined $845.

Muscaro's ruling forces St. Vincent-St. Mary to forfeit Sunday's victory. The Fighting Irish, who are 14-0 and ranked No. 1 in the country by USA Today, have five regular-season games left before the state playoffs begin.

James and his mother were extremely hurt and depressed over the ruling, a source close to James' family told ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

According to the source, who spoke with LeBron and mother Gloria James, the James' feel as if they have been set up and that someone purposely wanted him to be ruled ineligible. The James' plan to meet with lawyers Friday night to ensure that they go about the appeals process correctly.

James cannot play until the matter is resolved.

The 6-foot-8 James is considered the best high school player in the country and is expected to be the top player selected in June's NBA draft.

Ohio High School Athletic Association bylaws state that an athlete forfeits his or her amateur status by "capitalizing on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of monetary value."

More specifically, the OHSAA 2002-03 Athletic Eligibility Information Bulletin states in part that, "You may receive an award or merchandise as a result of your participation in school or non-school competition from any source, provided the value does not exceed $100 per award."

As for what lies ahead beyond high school, nothing really has changed for James. Under NBA rules, he cannot become a free agent and start his pro career early. In order to become a free agent, an athlete must have been eligible for one NBA draft. James has not been eligible for an NBA draft and does not become eligible for the upcoming June 25 draft until his high school senior class graduates in early June.

James has no plans to play in Europe or anywhere else prior to the NBA draft, a source told ESPN.com.

While James was not planning on playing college basketball, an NCAA official said Friday that James was not eligible even before the jersey infraction.

Citing extra benefits the NCAA says James received regarding lodging and transportation at Nike's summer camp as well as other infractions, an NCAA official said, "LeBron James would not have been certified at any institution in the NCAA. He would have been initially ineligible."

OHSAA spokesman Bob Goldring said that because James no longer is an amateur, he is free to sign any shoe deal he chooses.

A source told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that neither Nike nor adidas will attempt to sign James during his appeals process.

"LeBron James could have signed a multi million contract with Nike or adidas last June. He gave up all that money to play high school basketball this year," said Sonny Vaccaro, director of basketball for adidas.

Vaccaro said adidas gave Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary over $15,000 in merchandise and travel cost this year. Adidas will not make a similar donation next season.

Sources told Katz that promoters of his games this season have made an estimated $50,000 per game.

Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary's will play Feb. 8 in the PrimeTime Shootout in Trenton, N.J., and St. Vincent-St. Mary's will be guaranteed an appearance fee whether or not James plays.

James refused to comment about the jerseys Thursday night at the Greater Cleveland Sports Awards; he was honored as the area's top high school athlete for the second straight year. He did allude to "all the controversy that's going on with me'' during his acceptance speech.

"I'd like to thank my teammates for helping me through all this,'' he said. "It will be in the paper, but remember, I'm on the honor roll with a 3.5 grade-point average.''

Earlier this month, James drew attention in Akron by driving around a new custom-made Hummer H2, which he received as a present for his 18th birthday. His mother, Gloria James, provided loan information to prove she had purchased the vehicle.

On Monday, OHSAA commissioner Clair Muscaro ruled that James would not lose his eligibility for accepting the vehicle.

Muscaro said he asked school administrators at St. Vincent-St. Mary on Friday for a chance to speak with James.

"But LeBron did not want to speak with me,'' Muscaro said, adding that James is the first athlete he has declared ineligible in his 14 years as commissioner.

"I think this sends a message that we are all about fairness,'' Muscaro said. "LeBron is being treated like any one of the thousands of student-athletes in Ohio.''

Muscaro said his ruling addressed only the issue of James receiving the two jerseys.

"Naturally, LeBron is talented and he's noted nationally and internationally, but as far as this association is concerned, we will treat him the same as all our other athletes.''

Muscaro reviewed a report that James received the jerseys at "Next Urban Gear and Music'' in exchange for posing for pictures to be hung on the store's walls.

"In talking with the store's personnel, I was able to confirm that on Jan. 25, the merchant gave clothing directly to LeBron at no cost,'' Muscaro said. "This is a direct violation of the OHSAA bylaws on amateurism, because, in fact, LeBron did capitalize on athletic fame by receiving these gifts.''

The Sayers jersey costs $395; the Unseld jersey, $450.

Store manager Derrick Craig said the store's owner gave the jerseys to James for free.

"We get celebrities in here all the time," said Craig, who would not identify the owner. "They spend a lot of money and sometimes you just got to give them some love."
-Mark
Big-O Software
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I think this is just all BS. This rule I think is stupid. If he is getting this so he will sign he would get it before or after he did so, so why stop him from getting it sooner?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I think they just looking for a way to get him in trouble. I would not be surpised if he wins the jersy battle that they will come up with another way to get him in trouble
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

Store employees and the store manager said they gave him the jerseys. He accepted a gift, not a birthday present in this case, and deserves to be declared ineligible. Because of this, I doubt he'll win the appeal, unless he can come up with a receipt proven to be from that store on that day.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem a little odd that he wouldn't talk to the OHSAA commissioner about this? If I were in a situation like this, I would have done everything in my power to prove I was innocent of the accusation and talked with him, not say "No thanks... Don't feel like talking." That's one thing that would lead them to think he actually accepted the jerseys for free.
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182