Serious Sam

Discuss video games from NES to PS2 to PC to whatever.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Serious Sam

Post by DADINK13 »

Who here besides me has played any of the "Serious Sam" games?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I havent heard much about it.. and I've never played it. But it does get good reviews over at http://Gamespot.com

Serious Sam: The First Encounter got an 8.9 / 10 ..and,

Serious Sam: The Second Encounter got a 9.1 / 10 rating, and recieved the Gamespot Editors' Choice Award. :P
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Well if you can, download the demos of both Serious Sam 1 and 2.

For those of you who haven't played Serious Sam--just think back to the extreme carnage days of DOOM--and add modern graphics, HUGE wide open spaces, colorful lens flare, and TONS of monsters on the screen at once. When I say tons, I mean in excess of 100 at times.

Just play it...you'll see what I mean. 8)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Why play a Doom clone, when you can play the new version of Doom (now or soon).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

aclauser wrote:Why play a Doom clone, when you can play the new version of Doom (now or soon).
I wouldn't call it a Doom clone. I consider it more of a cross between Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. It's got action intense enough to leave your palms shaking and sweaty, and Sam cracks one-liners ala Sir Nukem (example: after defeating a massive stampede of Werebulls, Sam utters "Now that's a lot of bull").

Oh yea, the last boss WILL make your jaw drop. But I won't give away the surprise. 8)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Sounds intresting never less.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

It's a good game to add to your collection if you love FPS games with a passion.

For those other people curious about the "Serious Engine" as it's known, check out the link. The engine is totally scalable, written in C++, and uses OpenGL rendering. Seeing it in action is cool--especially when you see hordes of bad guys charging at you from across an huge open expanse. They start out only a few pixels high, so you really get the sense that they're covering real ground.
skudz
Addict
Addict

Post by skudz »

yea i have played both serious sam games. hella fun games, they are hella unrealistic but that just makes it more fun ;D
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

skudz wrote:yea i have played both serious sam games. hella fun games, they are hella unrealistic but that just makes it more fun
Not every game has to be realistic to be considered fun. 8)
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I played the first one and it was fun but got very repetitive about half way through. It didn't take me very long to beat either even on the higher difficulty settings. I'd recommend playing it once through, but I wouldn't buy it. There isn't much replay value unless you just like to blow stuff up or you want to take out stress lol.
:D
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

jester22c wrote:There isn't much replay value unless you just like to blow stuff up or you want to take out stress lol.
lol, why do you think I love these games so much? Sometimes you're not in a mood to play a thinking game, so that's why there are games like that: mindless blowing up of "stuff." :lol:
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

It is very seldom that I don't enjoy thinking in a game. I do have my moments where I just want to destroy things... but that's when I start up an online FPS. At least then the enemies are somewhat intelligent (hopefully) instead of just masses of beasts on a rampage towards you.
:D
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

jester22c wrote:It is very seldom that I don't enjoy thinking in a game. I do have my moments where I just want to destroy things... but that's when I start up an online FPS. At least then the enemies are somewhat intelligent (hopefully) instead of just masses of beasts on a rampage towards you.
lol, I should tell you about the deathmatch games that me and one of my friends have on my LAN. :lol:

...I'll start a new thread pertaining to that one..