Microsoft Offers CD Copy Limits

Books, Movies, Music, TV, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

fuuucckkers

Microsoft Offers CD Copy Limits

Post by fuuucckkers »

Microsoft offers CD copy limits

Report: New software allows record companies to limit music reproduction.
January 20, 2003: 6:32 AM EST

NEW YORK (Dow Jones Newswires) - In a development that could signal new limits on copying of store-bought music, Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) has come up with software tools that let recording companies restrict unauthorized reproduction and sharing of music compact discs, Monday's Wall Street Journal reported.

Two major recording companies -- Vivendi Universal SA's Universal Music Group and EMI Group PLC -- said they are experimenting with Microsoft technology for possible use on CDs by popular music artists.

Microsoft's move, announced during the weekend at the Midem music conference in Cannes, France, comes in response to a push by movie studios and recording companies to combat piracy of songs and motion pictures through the Internet and devices such as CD recorders. The music industry saw CD sales fall 7% during the first half of last year, a decline recording companies blame on Internet piracy and CD recording.

Music companies have already released CDs that block copying of any sort on a PC, prompting an outcry from some listeners. Microsoft's technology could find wider use as it gives recording companies finer control over copying by users, permitting limited duplicates in some cases. The software can also be used on DVDs to protect movies.

For music lovers accustomed to unfettered use of CDs, the technology could mean a big adjustment. Microsoft's software is designed to be used with software from other companies such as SunnComm Inc. that prevents songs on conventional music CDs, known as "red book " audio, from being copied onto a PC, while allowing them to be played in ordinary home and car stereos. The Microsoft software will let recording companies add a second batch of songs and other digital files to CDs, called a "second session, " that PC users will be permitted to copy to their machines.

Those second-session songs, however, can be programmed with a variety of limitations, including blocks that prevent recording onto CDs or sharing over Internet file-swapping services. Using the Microsoft software, music companies can permit users to e-mail songs to friends, but only with degraded sound quality or expiration dates that make the songs unplayable after a certain date.

Music companies say they plan on working with a variety of software companies to combat piracy.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I think that Bull crap. I can understand the blocking of sharing them over over the net and kazaa that make logic since to me. but not letting the be burned on to cds is going to far. Some of the cds I own I have turned into mp3 so I burn it on to another cd along will my favor songs from other tracks. I would be tick if I lost the ablitly to put my favorit songs on one cd
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Timelessblur wrote:I think that Bull crap. I can understand the blocking of sharing them over over the net and kazaa that make logic since to me. but not letting the be burned on to cds is going to far. Some of the cds I own I have turned into mp3 so I burn it on to another cd along will my favor songs from other tracks. I would be tick if I lost the ablitly to put my favorit songs on one cd
The thing about this is.. any time they try to stop music sharing/copying.. it is ALWAYS circumvented. There is always ways around things. This is no different. If these special CD's and/or software becomes a standard..there will be a way around it.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

xWastedMindx wrote:
Timelessblur wrote:I think that Bull crap. I can understand the blocking of sharing them over over the net and kazaa that make logic since to me. but not letting the be burned on to cds is going to far. Some of the cds I own I have turned into mp3 so I burn it on to another cd along will my favor songs from other tracks. I would be tick if I lost the ablitly to put my favorit songs on one cd
The thing about this is.. any time they try to stop music sharing/copying.. it is ALWAYS circumvented. There is always ways around things. This is no different. If these special CD's and/or software becomes a standard..there will be a way around it.
true true. with in a few weeks some will have a patch I can get for musicjute box the gets around taht
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Actually.. the only peice of software I haven't found a way around are those WMA files which had a digital signiture built in. mp3.com used to have them..and a time limit of about 5 days, and once your time was up... it brought you back to the download location.. and you had to redownload the song all over again (kind of a pain in the arse). :-?

If anyone knows a way around copy protected WMA music files?

(BTW... WMA files suck!)
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

This seems really stupid to me. If for some reason no one can figure a way around it, then they would be forcing us to go back to cassettes. Technology is something to make us move forwards, not backwards.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

xWastedMindx wrote:If these special CD's and/or software becomes a standard..there will be a way around it.
Yes, and I already know the way around it.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

If it becomes a standard it would be patched faster then a non standard lol.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

DADINK13 wrote:
xWastedMindx wrote:If these special CD's and/or software becomes a standard..there will be a way around it.
How so? Tell us!! :)
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

xWastedMindx wrote:
DADINK13 wrote:
How so? Tell us!! :)
Oh it's quite simple really. Plug a CD player into your computer's line-in or microphone inputs. Start whatever recording soffware you have. Get a minute-long noise sample. Record the whole CD. Noise-reduce. Seperate into tracks. Save in whatever format you want.

Of course, if you use something like Sound Forge or Cool Edit Pro, it makes it a peice of cake. 8)
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I like that idea. So far the secirty they put on cds has not stop my trust music Juke box
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Timelessblur wrote:I like that idea. So far the secirty they put on cds has not stop my trust music Juke box
It works, and works well. Some CDs clip pretty bad when I rip them, or the CD is so badly scratched that when I rip them, they come out all messed up. Sometimes, doing it the old-fashioned way is best.