Metroid Prime Sequel Possibly in the Works

Discuss video games from NES to PS2 to PC to whatever.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Metroid Prime Sequel Possibly in the Works

Post by DADINK13 »

Breif article from IGN.com:
Retro Studios Reunites with Samus
Studio begins work on Metroid Prime sequel.

January 23, 2003 - Sources at Texas-based Retro Studios told IGNcube this morning that the company is in planning stages for a sequel to the hit GameCube adventure Metroid Prime. Executives at the company recently made an internal announcement to employees that the project has been cleared by Nintendo.
No details were given about the project, but one employee under the condition of anonymity did note that team members were throwing around the idea of including a multiplayer mode.

No release date has been set for the project. A tentative date of sometime in 2004 is likely.

We contacted Nintendo for official comment, but the company did not return our phone calls in time for publish.

We will of course be tracking the development of the game over the next several months. Stay tuned to the site for more.
Multiplayer?? In a Metroid game??? :o
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

How can they have a multi ?? Is everyone going to play as Samus fighting against each other?

Or the other possiblility..new characters! Good Guys and/or Villains.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Sure... Yellow... Green... Red... and Blue suits. Intresting.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

xWastedMindx wrote:How can they have a multi ?? Is everyone going to play as Samus fighting against each other?

Or the other possiblility..new characters! Good Guys and/or Villains.
I'm not sure either. It's a possibility though. In my mind, I can see it either working great like GoldenEye, or sucking immensly.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

http://cube.ign.com/articles/384/384864p1.html
February 04, 2003 - On January 24 IGNcube reported that Metroid Prime developer Retro Studios had been given the green light by Nintendo to start work on a GameCube sequel. The news came by way of inside sources, but neither Nintendo of America nor Retro Studios would offer official comments on the subject.

Today, though, comes the first official confirmation that a sequel, tentatively dubbed "Metroid Prime 2," is underway. A link on Nintendo's website announces the game and also reads: "A follow-up to the hit Metroid Prime is in development. No release date or other information is available at this time."

Metroid Prime, a first-person adventure starring space bounty hunter Samus Aran, sold upward of 700,000 units in little more than a month on the market. The game also earned high praise from critics across the board, even garnering "Game of the Year" awards from numerous magazines and online sites.

We'll have more on the sequel as information becomes available.
-Mark
Big-O Software
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Hm...well seeing how well Metroid Prime did, I don't think Retro will screw anything up. I just hope they add the ability to use a REAL space jump and the Screw Attack. :D
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I just hope Nintendo keeps both eyes on them again, if not just so Retro feels the pressure.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I think what would be cool is if they add a secret play mode (by finding certain items maybe during gameplay to unlock? or maybe even the classic button combos (A B A C A B B)). Maybe the secret play mode would let you access Metroid from back on the SNES and play that one too. :)
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Well Metroid Prime already has something like that..

When you link up using Metroid Fusion, you can play the classic NES Metroid, AND play Prime with Samus' Fusion Suit.