Offline Messaging

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Offline Messaging

Post by Big-O Mark »

Offline messaging is a feature I would really love to see. I use it all the time in ICQ ... sending messages to buddies who are offline, and then they receive the message the next time they come online, regardless of whether or not you, the sender, are online. It would definitely be a great addition to AIM+.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Cass

Post by Cass »

Gaim (GTK+ AIM) has an ability like this, called "pounce", which is actually where my desire for this comes from, but since i'm on windows, i can't use Gaim anymore, so i'm dying for someone to write something similar!
Cass

Post by Cass »

Well, for one to send the message even if YOU are offline, wouldn't their need to be a central server of sorts to store the message? I guess theirs oscar, but that seems like it would be something AOL would need to implement, and nothing that could be done on this side. Would still like to see the pounce feature though, where it sends the message to a person as soon as they sign on, even if you are away or whatever, for people on a cable connection its not a big deal, cause ?most? of us always stay online anyway
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I'm aware of the central server issue, I just wanted to throw the idea out there in all its glory :). You're absolutely right though, for those of us with cable or dsl this will not be an issue.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Eli
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Eli »

hi, everyone.

Guess what, there's a solution for offline messaging for AIM.

A friend of mine coded an AIM-bot that serves this very purpose.

IM MemoKnight, and take it from there.

Type "menu" and "help" to get started.

Available options are:
send list status status clear unsend read delete undelete purge register unregister phonebook block unblock calender invite

His homepage is not working though.

How it works: you register with MemoKnight (by typing "register") and he remembers you. Then when someone leaves you a message with him, and you get online, he'll IM you saying that you have a new message, and you type a "read" command to read it.

Only people who are "registered" will be IMed by MemoKnight.
(ie he doesn't initiate IM conversations with people he doesn't "know")

that was easy, eh? :)
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

that is awesome

Post by Guest »

nice bot, rather have it built into aim or aim+
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

I had posted something a while back and I guess I never got around to getting it posted in here, but timrosenfeld reminded me with his post. I think the idea for buddy pounce mthod is the best we're going to get on AIM since there's not really a way to get AIM's servers to store the messages like ICQ. Maybe when and if AOL merges ICQ and AIM there will be a feature like this, but for now I would like to at least have the ability to have my client send a user a message when they come online even if I am away.
timrosenfeld
Addict
Addict

Post by timrosenfeld »

Mr. Eviljolly helped me get here. I made a new topic now being able to find this one. Here's what I said there:
I'm not sure if someone has suggested something like this already. I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant, so here it is. I'd like to have some sort of feature that could send messages to buddies while they're away. Now let me clear that up a little. There are times when I've got something to show someone or say to them and they're not online. Obviously I'm going to forget by the time I actually see them online. So a feature to maybe enter a message to send them and then send it whenever they're next online would be a really handy thing for me.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

You could also use another chat bot called MessageServer
It works the same way MemoKnight does. :)
Mannyjv

Post by Mannyjv »

xWastedMindx wrote:You could also use another chat bot called MessageServer
It works the same way MemoKnight does. :)

MessageServer is better, it is easier to use.
All's fair in love and war.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Let's try to keep this thread on topic. Posting about services such as MemoKnight and MessageServer is good, debating which is better is bad :D. If you'd like to discuss the message services, please hop over to the AIM Misc Forum. There is a current thread about MessageServer here:

http://discuss.big-o-software.com/viewtopic.php?t=1434
-Mark
Big-O Software
Awesome48
Just Registered
Just Registered

MessageSaver

Post by Awesome48 »

I'm not sure how much luck you all had with the former bots, but here is another. And to note, it is different from MessageServer

It is called MessageSaver and it is made by a company called Scovetta. It is a lot simpler than the other bots mentioned:

- If you don't want the hassle of "handling" messages like an inbox, check this out.
- The message send it as follows: tell buddyname message. It is that simple. No menus, just send a message and when the other person gets on, it pops up.
- If you want to read up on it... you can find it at: http://www.scovetta.com/AIMAccessory.

** Note: the screen name for the bot is not MessageSaver. The bot run off a few screen names, I use MessageSaver9, but I've been having a few problems lately.

** Note: Do not harass this one... it will put your screen name in its info encouraging people to harass and warn you! :D
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - Confucius
Scovetta
Just Registered
Just Registered

MessageSaver

Post by Scovetta »

Hey guys,
I'm impressed, I didn't think that many people knew about MessageSaver. I'll have it up and running within a few days again. MessageSaver and MessageSaver9. If you're looking for the source code (Perl), http://www.scovetta.com/AIMAccessory/MessageSaver

Enjoy!
Mike
ShadowSpirit12

Post by ShadowSpirit12 »

This is another feature found on GAIM. By the way Cass, there is a Windows port of GAIM now available. Not sure on how different it is from the Linux version, but it's there. What it does, is it sends a message to someone when they come online or come from away (I think). You can also set it to leave you as 'away' when you send messages. That way you'll still be away with your sleeping message or whatever when your buddy gets pounced. That last feature just makes me all warm inside. :D haha. Back to the topic. The Mac version of AIM also has this "pounce" feature. L8r all. Happy AIMing!