Music CD Settlement

Books, Movies, Music, TV, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Music CD Settlement

Post by Big-O Mark »

I've heard a lot of ads for this on the radio. Basically, it was uncovered that various record companies worked together to inflate music cd / tape / vinyl prices. Apparently, everyone who has purchased a music cd in the past 10 years or so is entitled to 20 bucks. Might be worth a look ... or not ... :) ...

https://www.musiccdsettlement.com/english/default.htm
-Mark
Big-O Software
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I can see Kazaa using this a part of their attack on the RIAA. Would be intresting if Kazaa wins and the RIAA can no longer defend their copyrights.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

Basically, anyone can file under this.
The Defendants have agreed to pay a combination of cash and non-cash consideration to settle the lawsuit. Defendants' combined cash payments total $67,375,000. In addition, Defendants will provide $75,700,000 worth of prerecorded music compact discs. The compact discs will be distributed to not- for-profit, charitable, governmental or public entities to be used for music-related purposes or programs.
In addition, all Defendants have agreed to various injunctive provisions relating to the adoption and implementation of certain types of retail advertising and pricing policies.
This seems like a good idea, now if they hold true to it is the only ?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I saw this on a different website earlier in the week.. I didn't know what to make of it, and just ignored it. But obviously this is a very big turn in the fight for digital music copyrights!

I sota find this part funny..
Read the list below of all the major Record Labels..otherwise known as part of 'Corporate America'. But do you see any small record labels on that list?? NO! No Fat Wreck Chords, no Hopeless Records .. basically nothing that's even 'punk or semi punk/ska' related is listed as a defendant. Coool! :)

Who are the Defendants?

The Distributor Defendants are: Capitol Records, Inc. d/b/a EMI Music Distribution, Virgin Records America, Inc., and Priority Records LLC; Time Warner, Inc., Warner-Elektra-Atlantic Corp., WEA, Inc., Warner Music Group, Inc., Warner Bros. Records, Inc., Atlantic Recording Corporation, Elektra Entertainment Group, Inc., and Rhino Entertainment Company; Universal Music & Video Distribution Corporation, Universal Music Group, Inc., and UMG Recordings, Inc.; Bertelsmann Music Group, Inc. and BMG Music; and Sony Music Entertainment Inc. The Retailer Defendants are: MTS, Inc. d/b/a Tower Records, Musicland Stores Corp., and Trans World Entertainment Corp.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I hope the movie and music industries go the way of the coal industry. Those that didn't adapt to the changing technology and embrace it are destroyed and no longer exist.

There are other ways to make money than off the sale of the music (concerts, promotional merchandise, etc). I personally would love to see the day where I could (as part of my cable subscription price) get a menu of media choices that can be downloaded. For example, if I like Friends, I could get the entire season downloaded to my DVR and watch the season on my timetable. It is far easier to count downloads than the current Nielson ratings. I'm also sure that downloads could be used to better track a song/album's popularity.