Self-Deleting AIM?

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

jokein

Self-Deleting AIM?

Post by jokein »

My AIM keeps deleting files that it needs to run after I exit it and shut down my computer. I have to re-install AIM to get it working again. It says there's an error with the AimCoreSvs.dll file and when I check the AIM directory, the file's no longer there. I think AIM is deleting the files. Does anyone know how I can prevent this from happening? It's happened a couple times already..
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

You mean AIM can get rid of itself for you? :o

lol..all joking aside now. I have never heard of something like that happening before. I do have a few questions however:
What version of AIM do you have?
Are you running AIM+ or some other AIM addon?
Did you contact AIM technical support about this yet?
jokein

Post by jokein »

I have the new beta version of AIM and I'm using DeadAIM with it. I'm contacting AIM Technical Support now...
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

jokein wrote:I have the new beta version of AIM and I'm using DeadAIM with it. I'm contacting AIM Technical Support now...
Okay. TWO more questions:
Did this happen before you started using DeadAIM?
Did you try just running AIM without DeadAIM to see if it would happen or not?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I have a question. Do you have an Antivirus on your computer? That sounds like a virus which could be deleting files.
jokein

Post by jokein »

This only started happening after I installed the new beta version of AIM. I haven't tried running AIM without DeadAIM yet. I re-intalled the version that came out before the beta version but it still happened. (don't remember the version number.. its 5.1.something) I didn't uninstall the beta version of AIM though, I just installed over it. I didn't want to lose any of my away messages.. I just sent a report to the AIM Technical Support. I have scanned my computer with an Anti-Virus program and it didn't find any viruses.
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

jokein wrote:I didn't want to lose any of my away messages
Here's how to backup away messages:
Start --> Run
type in "regedit"
browse to: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger(TM)\CurrentVersion\Users\*Your screenname*
File --> Export..
Save the key, making sure you export the selected branch

Just be very careful in the registry. If you delete something by mistake, you could severly mess up your computer. So here's your warning:
Don't delete something unless you know EXACTLY what it is.

Hope that helps. And I'd suggest backing up your away messages, uninstalling completely, then starting fresh.