Invisibility

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Yanni

Post by Yanni »

You sure you don't wanna put in an Invisibility option? that would be awesome. Sometimes I just wanna see who's on, but I don't want my name on so I have to make another screen name, an invisibilty mode would be great.
Bob

um... thats gay....

Post by Bob »

k the topic was my g/f's idea =P but ne ways. You cant do that with AIM, that would be a serverside issue. AIM+ doesnt have and never will have that capability.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I think making a second screenname is probably the easiest solution to invisibility :). You can right click the AIM icon in the system tray, choose save buddy list, and export your current settings to your new screenname. You'll have an exact copy of your buddylist for your new screenname, making it very easy to be "invisible" ... plus with the AIM+ cloning option you can have both your screennames signed on at once!

An invisibility option would definitely be nice, but a second screenname with the original buddy list easily exported is a pretty good alternative.
-Mark
Big-O Software
plenTpak

Post by plenTpak »

if you implement the cloned instances in 1 client idea http://discuss.big-o-software.com/viewtopic.php?t=334 you could simulate this... it doesnt help for people who use the "allow only people below" option in the privacy settings though.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

sysop

Post by EvilJolly »

On the old version of AIM sysop I had, you could go into invisible mode using a "stealth on" in the oscar window, I would think that this would still work. If you need a copy of the sysop program I can send it upon request.
GigaRoc
Addict
Addict

Post by GigaRoc »

if you want to see who's online but not be seen, do what i do. I have a AIM screen name nobody knows about... I just use that. Expored my old buddy list, imported it to that screen name. BAM! done!!
SAVE ME GOD - disturbed
iamvoyager
Addict
Addict

possible?

Post by iamvoyager »

would it be possible to use the "block all" feature with aim and load the buddy list from another s/n?
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Re: possible?

Post by Big-O Mark »

iamvoyager wrote:would it be possible to use the "block all" feature with aim and load the buddy list from another s/n?
I don't think so, because the block all feature literally blocks all users from contacting you / seeing you online, and in turn makes it so you can't see anyone who is online.
-Mark
Big-O Software
iamvoyager
Addict
Addict

Post by iamvoyager »

i mean get on a s/n (say "bob"), turn on the invisibility, which would block everyone on "bob", and signin to another account ("joe") and show "joe"s buddy list in "bob"s window, without having an actual window open for "joe"

its all so complicated.... :o :wink:
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

iamvoyager wrote:i mean get on a s/n (say "bob"), turn on the invisibility, which would block everyone on "bob", and signin to another account ("joe") and show "joe"s buddy list in "bob"s window, without having an actual window open for "joe"

its all so complicated.... :o :wink:
Very complicated :). So much easier to just get the second screenname and not tell anyone about it! But definitely a good idea on how to implement it ...
-Mark
Big-O Software
iamvoyager
Addict
Addict

Post by iamvoyager »

what would also be great is if you could appear invisible to certain ppl, maybe someone who will IM you any time your online and wont ever shut up, but sometimes you like/need to talk to him or her, maybe you could have a little indicator next to their name when they are on so you can unblock them

or maybe this 2 buddy lists thing could be used to tell you when/if someone blocks you
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

I know that on aim sysop version the stealth command does let you see other users, but they cannot contact you even if they know you're online. I don't believe that there is a way to be invisible using a single screen name. A workaround I can think of is have aim+ use another "secret" screenname to see who is online and the other one to only unblock the ones you want to talk to. This would not work if the person has the only allow users on my buddy list to contact me option. All in all I think that this is a little farfetched, and unless there is another way this option is not worth the time, if you don't want to talk to certian people just block them or get on another screenname.
OmegaDraconis

Post by OmegaDraconis »

well the sysop version of aim would just block everyone when you used stealth on.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

Yes that's true that it blocks everyone, but you can still see who is online. I think that there could be a workaround using this command. Here is what could be done. You sign online blocking everyone, then go into stealh mode and unblock everyone. AIM+ reads all these people online into memory and shows those people online. Perhaps it could update by going back into stealth mode and finding out who is online every once in a while. There are a few problems with this method though. First of all, during the time you are in stealth mode nobody could message you. Secondly, you would not see when someone comes online or goes off. As cool as invisibility would be, I think that too much work would have to go into this for only a mediocre and most likely buggy end product.
Tsuki720
Just Registered
Just Registered

Ghosting

Post by Tsuki720 »

Couldn't it just do how AOL does it, "ghosting", or blocking everyone from buddy list? AOL doesn't TECHNICALLY have an invisibility option, but you can prevent people from seeing you on their buddy list.
I've used both AIM and AOL to tell if people blocked me or not :-D