Invisibility

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

nunubutt
Addict
Addict

Post by nunubutt »

Well i am assuming AIM programmers a bit verruckt because.....they made a block all for the buddylist that makes it literally so that ur as if u dont sign on....so i say...whats their point of making that option? blocking all is the same thing as not signing on since u cant see anyone if u block everyone....that to me...is just dumb logic.
HappyLttleMan
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by HappyLttleMan »

I'm confused. Did Mark say that invisibility can't be done? I would LOVE to see an invisibility option. My problem with the second screenname solution is this. Many of my friends have their "Allow only users on Buddy List" option checked in their privacy preferences, and therefore I can't see them when I'm on my second screenname. This makes it necessary to give those people my second screenname...therefore negating the purpose of it altogether.

So I guess I'm asking Mark, is it impossible to make an invisibility feature or is the idea still under consideration?

On a completely seperate note, I think this program is incredible and couldn't be happier with it.
-D-
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

What I'm wondering is whether or not the code to not show users in your buddy list that are blocked is client side or not. If so, then just disable that so they'll still show up. That way you're online, you see who's online, but no one shows you. Much less of a hassle.
:D
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

i definately like the invisible idea because there are times where i want to jsut talk to certain people but i mean its no a hassle to sign on another sn and do it
tone
Daa20
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Daa20 »

I think that selective invisability would be a cool idea, choosing who you want to appear off-line to and who you wish to appear online to while monitering the "blocked" persons activity in a way. If this idea were to be programed as even a completely seperate thing than AIM+ lots of people would download it and use it. If it were to become incorporated with AIM+ it would be a plus for everyone.

:) Thank you for the bit of space to explain my feelings on this topic. :)
RexTripod
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by RexTripod »

the only trouble in doing that is this...i did that too, i got a new sn and after i would go to bed she would sign back on, but thats when she had her privacy on '' allow all users '', now she has '' allow users on my buddy list only'' so she clicked on that, so now, my new s/n is useless.
sugargm
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by sugargm »

i'm not sure if this has been mentioned before or not but, AOL used to, not sure if they still do, have a privacy feature where they did exactly this. my friend used to be ghosting/invisible/whatever and then suddenly im me. and he wouldn't be on my buddylist. and one day he showed me it from his house. it had something to do with the way that aol coded their block feature. he could see people on his buddy list, but they couldn't see him on theirs.
J3utton
Addict
Addict

Post by J3utton »

I really like the idea to have it so you can appear offline but still talk to certain users and so you can still see who is online... but I see one major flaw with this... lets say person A and person B both have the new Aim+ that has a feature for this (if it ever does)... Person A wants to talk to and only to Person B, so they put the privacy feature on and wait for Person B to sign on... Person B wants to talk solely to Person A, so when they sign on they quicly put their privacy feature on.... Now person A sees person B sign on, then immidiately sign off, they dont know if the actually signed off or if they just put privacy on (if B has privacy on or not, person A still cannot contact person B), meanwhile person B never even knew person A was signed on.... So, in this type of situation... both person A and B would jsut sit there and stupidly watch their buddylist for Person A/B to sign on, when in fact they are both on and dont know that the other one is on... this could be a rather big problem... but I still like the idea and Id still prolly use it, so please make it a feature... thankyou
hackztor
Just Registered
Just Registered

INVISIBLE

Post by hackztor »

Actually you can go invisible with aim. It is not serverside. Once i tried using an idle program and it made me invisible to everyone but i could still talk with them they just couldnt see me on there buddylist. So theoretically it is possible. HEHEH funny thing about it is i stayed invisible for like an hour or so after i stoped using the idle program but oh well it is inviisble
bigjesse

Post by bigjesse »

what you need is a things that puts your away real quick ater you IM

if that is possible...probbly can't to it to much cuz of rate limiting.

and if it is possible, you can have it in prefrences and set the away message and maybe, alert me only messages from "" and "" and dont shwo me the rest, just keep them in the away message box.

ill draw what i mean like right now so expect a picture
bigjesse

Post by bigjesse »

ok here it is, i made it real quik

nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

now that I see the picture. Not a bad idea.
bigjesse.com wrote:what you need is a things that puts your away real quick ater you IM

if that is possible...probbly can't to it to much cuz of rate limiting.

and if it is possible, you can have it in prefrences and set the away message and maybe, alert me only messages from "" and "" and dont shwo me the rest, just keep them in the away message box.

ill draw what i mean like right now so expect a picture