Change Idle Activate Time

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Anthony

Change Idle Activate Time

Post by Anthony »

Would it be possible to change the time that AIM makes you idle? 20 mins is just too much. 10 or maybe 5 would make much more sence to me. I mean after all I never leave my computer for more then 5 mins if I plan on coming back soon.

I would assume you could do this through a custom program that access AIM, so maybe it could be done with another program atached to AIM (like AIM+ does).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
MoldyOldPie
Addict
Addict

Post by MoldyOldPie »

do you mean a program that could make you idle or one that would change the time that it takes for AIM to say that you are idle? if you have one of the operating systems that instant idler supports then you could just say you were idle for 20 when you leave the computer
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I don't want to pretend to be idle. I actually want to be idle faster then it would take with out a add on program. I never have had luck with that idle program anyways, so even if that was what I wanted I wouldn't use it ;).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
MoldyOldPie
Addict
Addict

Post by MoldyOldPie »

the only thing i know of is get all the people on your list to change the "Dim buddies" menu option to 5 mins so you would dim after 5 mins of idleness. i'm not trying to promote INstant idler, it crashes my AIM but. i believe its just a AIM thing, they don't want people to lie about their idle time but they lie about everything else :roll:
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Ya. I know you were not. I just would think it is on the program side and not the server side. How is the server going to know how long you have been idle with out the program telling it.

The main thing I want is the idle away msg to go up when I forget to put up my away msg.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
MoldyOldPie
Addict
Addict

Post by MoldyOldPie »

ask plasma he could probably incorperate something into his AMM program so that like a screen saver it would put up an away message for you after a certain amount of time
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

You cannot set it for less than 10 minutes, but no matter what your own personal setting for dimming buddies is, or anyone else's, AIM automatically starts to register you as idle when there is no activity for 10 minutes or more.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

It is actually 20 mins. If I could make it only 10 that would be great (or at least a start anyways).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

PhaseDMA wrote:It is actually 20 mins. If I could make it only 10 that would be great (or at least a start anyways).
Isn't it 10 minutes? I've had mine setup that way for years, and I've always seen my buddies (and myself on the list) go idle after 10 minutes ... and if you're idle, it should auto-respond with your idle message.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I thought it was 20 mins. I guess I will have to check. The default time to mark people idle is 20 mins (I just checked). Maybe that was what I was thinking.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

The default is definitely 20 minutes, and you can set it down to as low as 10 minutes. If you set it to anything lower, it will still wait 10 minutes to mark buddies idle and use the auto-response idle message.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

You misunderstand me. Yes, the default for DIMMING IDLE BUDDIES ON THE BUDDY LIST is 20. But after 10, if you mouseover a buddy and wait for a tooltip to appear, AIM will begin showing them as idle after 10 minutes, no matter what you or your buddy has defined in their settings.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

sry if this is ot, but is there ne way u can change what that tooltip thing says when u mouse over a buddy? like add more "Capabilities" or add like ur system uptime to the bottom? im wondering because "ThePixelMonster" uses his own aim client and its all screwed up.
Attachments
aim_bl0.jpg
aim_bl0.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 4045 times