Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Spider-Man 2 Villain Doc Ock Cast

Post by Big-O Mark »

'Spider-Man 2' Villain Doc Ock Cast

02.20.2003 5:56 PM EST

Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst and director Sam Raimi will reunite in April to film "Spider-Man 2." And though James Franco's Harry Osborn character will also be returning, don't expect to see him donning his father's Green Goblin outfit — as he did in the comics — just yet. The next "Spider-Man" villain to hit the big screen will be none other than Dr. Octopus.

Perhaps staying true to his B-movie roots, Raimi has bypassed the Hollywood A-list and hired Alfred Molina, known more for his considerable acting chops than celebrity status. Molina has appeared in such films as "Magnolia," "Chocolat" and "Frida."

"To go from an Academy Award-level movie like 'Frida' to one of the greatest franchises of all time, [he] is completely thrilled," Molina's manager, Joan Hyler, said.

"Alfred Molina has a remarkable facility for everything from classic drama to mainstream comedy and he is the ideal choice for Doc Ock," said Columbia Pictures Chairman Amy Pascal in a statement.

In the Marvel Comics "Spider-Man" lore, Dr. Octopus is a bespectacled, bowl-haircut-sporting villain who kicks butt with gigantic mechanical tentacles. He was also at one time romantically involved with Peter Parker's Aunt May.

"Spider-Man 2" is in the pre-production stage, with Molina currently being outfitted for the "Doc Ock" costume. The follow-up to "Spider-Man," which broke several box-office records and went on to earn over $820 million worldwide (see " 'Spider-Man,' 'Star Wars Episode II' Top Flicks Of 2002"), will be released next year.

For more Hollywood happenings, check out MTV's Movie House.

—Ryan J. Downey
-Mark
Big-O Software
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I can't wait to see Spider Man 2. I just hope it does not flop, but if it flops at least there will be enough eye candy 8) .
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

I still haven't seen the first yet :(

I'm hoping to see it before the second one comes out...
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I knew Doc Octapus was next from the start... I just didn't know who was going to play him. I have a feeling that Alfred Molina will do an awesome job :) I really liked the first one. This is going to be good.
:D
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

It damn well better be good. I loved the first one, I own the DVD as well! :D