Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Koufax severs ties with Dodgers over gossip item

Post by Big-O Mark »

Koufax cuts ties after report implied he was gay

Friday, February 21

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Hall of Fame pitcher Sandy Koufax has severed ties with the Los Angeles Dodgers because of a gossip-column item in a newspaper owned by the team's parent company.

The Los Angeles Times reported Friday that Koufax told the Dodgers he would no longer attend spring training at Dodgertown in Florida, visit Dodger Stadium or participate in any activities while they are owned by News Corp. because of a report in the New York Post that intimated that he's homosexual.

The Times said Koufax, through friend Derrick Hall, a Dodgers senior vice president, declined comment Thursday night, but that officials familiar with the situation said the former pitcher broke off ties after 48 years in response to a two-sentence item than ran in the New York tabloid on Dec. 19.

The Post said a "Hall of Fame baseball hero'' had "cooperated with a best-selling biography only because the author promised to keep it secret that he is gay. The author kept her word, but big mouths at the publishing house can't keep from flapping.''

Koufax, who was not specifically named by the paper, is the subject of Jane Leavy's biography, "Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy,'' published in September.

Expressing his feelings to the Dodgers through Hall shortly after learning of the report, Koufax reportedly said, "It does not make sense for me to promote any'' of the companies controlled by News Corp. chairman Rupert Murdoch, adding he would "feel foolish to be associated with or promote one entity if it helps another.''

Hall said Koufax stressed, "I have no problems with the Dodgers or their current or previous management. It's more so about (News Corp.).''

Leavy, a former Washington Post reporter, told The Times she assumed the item was about her book.

"(The item) was blatantly unfair, scandalous and contemptible,'' Leavy said. "It was thoroughly without basis in so far as it had to do with Sandy or any relationship I had with him professionally. It's not the kind of journalism I practice.

"Sandy Koufax is as principled a human being as I have ever met in my life. If this is a stand he is taking, I certainly understand why he might feel that way and I totally support it.''

Hall, who had dinner with Koufax on Wednesday in Vero Beach, Fla., spoke on behalf of Dodgers chairman Bob Daly and president Bob Graziano.

"It was irresponsible and inappropriate,'' Hall said. "It's unfortunate that this happened, but we fully support and understand Sandy's position on this. It's terrible because he's an important part of this organization and its rich history. And most importantly, Sandy has a lot of friends who are hurt by this.''

News Corp., which bought the Dodgers in 1997, is trying to sell the club, with former New York sports executive David Checketts recently making a reported $650 million offer.
-Mark
Big-O Software