AIM reporting weird online times

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Dwsurfin
Just Registered
Just Registered

AIM reporting weird online times

Post by Dwsurfin »

I have a question for all you smart ones out there. AIM is acting weird. When I put the mouse over someones name, it always says they're online for 2 hours longer then when I look at their profile. What could that be? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling AIM and I don't know what to do. If anyone knows or has time to answer, let me know. I don't really care about it, it's just really annoying after awhile.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Not that any of this infomation is going to help me figure out the problem but, what is your:

AIM Version:
AIM+ Version (I assume you are using this):

Are you using AIM+ when this happens? Have you tried running AIM with out AIM+ if the first answer is yes? Do this just start to happen randomly, or can you possibly trace it back to something (like installing another program)?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
aaii
Addict
Addict

Re: AIM is being weird...can anyone help?

Post by aaii »

Dwsurfin wrote:I have a question for all you smart ones out there. AIM is acting weird. When I put the mouse over someones name, it always says they're online for 2 hours longer then when I look at their profile. What could that be? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling AIM and I don't know what to do. If anyone knows or has time to answer, let me know. I don't really care about it, it's just really annoying after awhile.
Check your clock, its probably forward 2 hrs.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I believe the time thing is serve side on how long they have been on
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Matt

Post by Matt »

Either check your clock or check the time zone setting in AIM (I think it has one...right??)
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Walker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Walker »

KooLTaB101 wrote:Either check your clock or check the time zone setting in AIM (I think it has one...right??)
I don't think AIM has a time zone setting. I may be wrong. But I do think iit may be on the server side of AIM. I may be wrong on this to, but I think I am correct.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

All this wrong time settings is weird. All the AIM has to do is count how long they have been online. If your in GMT and I'm in GMT -5 (London and New York just so you know) 2 hrs is still 2 hrs.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
aaii
Addict
Addict

Post by aaii »

Timelessblur wrote:I believe the time thing is serve side on how long they have been on
Not so, set your clock back and re-sign on, I don't think you need to restart AIM.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Actually I think it works this way...When you install AIM, it asks for your ZIP code. This is used to determine your time zone. When you log in to AIM, the AIM server remembers the time at which you logged in. It doesn't actually count how long you've been logged in. The AIM client is notified of the time all your buddes were logged in (by AIMs servers clock which probably use either GMT-8 or GMT) and your ZIP code is used to determine the offset. YOUR AIM client calculates the differene and reports the time to you.

When the time in someone's buddy info is reported, it is calculated by AIMs servers, so the correct time displays there always.

Solution...Don't lie to AIM when it asks for your ZIP code...or at least give it a ZIP code in the same time zone as you...or set your system clock to match the correct time in the time zone of the ZIP code you gave to AIM. Your AIM client doesn't give your ZIP code to AIM (or at least v4.X doesn't); it just uses your zip code to get localized information. Check your system clock and make sure it has the right date and time.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Right you are about the zip. I've seen the time off when an incorrect zip was entered.
:D
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

I know I'm right. But another possible problem is incorrect system time. Really, the problem is that the system clock does not match the correct time for the time zone.
Dwsurfin
Just Registered
Just Registered

Thanks a ton guys!

Post by Dwsurfin »

Thanks all of you who have answered. You are all a great source of help. You're geniuses! Or, maybe I'm just not so smart.. :| Changing to the correct time zone for Windows did it. It still does something weird though. Does anyone notice that if you add yourself to your buddy list and right after you sign on (using AIM+ running AIM 5.x or whatever) see how long you have been on without looking at your profile? For me, it displays "12 days, 3 hours, and 15 minutes" but then goes away. However maybe my computer or AIM is just weird. After a minute or two, it displays the right time. Just curious as to what that is. Thanks again all.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Blame AIM for that one. It happens every once in a while and is not AIM+.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
aaii
Addict
Addict

Post by aaii »

Master Jedi wrote:Actually I think it works this way...When you install AIM, it asks for your ZIP code. This is used to determine your time zone. When you log in to AIM, the AIM server remembers the time at which you logged in. It doesn't actually count how long you've been logged in. The AIM client is notified of the time all your buddes were logged in (by AIMs servers clock which probably use either GMT-8 or GMT) and your ZIP code is used to determine the offset. YOUR AIM client calculates the differene and reports the time to you.

When the time in someone's buddy info is reported, it is calculated by AIMs servers, so the correct time displays there always.

Solution...Don't lie to AIM when it asks for your ZIP code...or at least give it a ZIP code in the same time zone as you...or set your system clock to match the correct time in the time zone of the ZIP code you gave to AIM. Your AIM client doesn't give your ZIP code to AIM (or at least v4.X doesn't); it just uses your zip code to get localized information. Check your system clock and make sure it has the right date and time.
So what about if you don't pick US? It then doesn't ask you for your zip code....
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

The Time Zone setting on your Windows computer. I don't know how it works for non-windows computers.