AIM Randomly uses 100% of CPU Time

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

spencey82

AIM Randomly uses 100% of CPU Time

Post by spencey82 »

I have an Athlon XP 1800, and aim+ uses 100% of the cpu, every once in a while. It causes music to skip, and it just sucks. Anybody else?
im gay
Last edited by spencey82 on Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Please post more information, as I have not yet experienced this.

When does this most often happen (i.e., what are you doing with AIM? many windows open, just opening a window, are your windows maximized, do you have transparency on, do you have a lot of text in the IM window).

Also, what OS are you using, what version of AIM and AIM+.

Thanks!
-Ryan
Big-O Software

Post by Guest »

I had 2 windows open, both of which with very little text in them. I am using 2.1.1 Build 59. It just happens randomly. Many times I'm not even using AIM, and just have an away message up. Transparency is off. I'm using XP.

Post by Guest »

Has never happened to me.. and I run way more programs at the same time. Does it matter how much RAM one has? I have 512MB DDR.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

How do you know that AIM+ is causing this to happen? Does anything like this ever happen when you're not running AIM+? Did it ever happen when running AIM without AIM+? Finally, what version of AIM are you using?
-Mark
Big-O Software
Maraklov
Addict
Addict

Post by Maraklov »

running aim without aim+???

that's blasphemy, mookie.
shame, shame, shame...

:D
8*B@LL

Post by 8*B@LL »

i've seen the same thing atleast a few times, but i think its the aim exe that does it...cant remember. the way to tell is to ctrl+alt+del and look at the processes window, then sort by cpu time. well, thats how you do it on a win2k box, so it probably works the same in xp.

ofcourse, i've also seen windows media player do the same thing, so i think its a microsuck problem.

Post by Guest »

The process that's doing it technically, is AIM. It never did it before I installed/ran AIM+. I have 512 MB of ram too, so that isn't the issue (i dunno y it would be either). I am running AIM 4.8.2646.
Daksin

uses 100% CPU usage

Post by Daksin »

:x I'm having the same problem as most of you out there. I'm running a 1.0 ghtz AMD athlon with plenty of RAM and a lot of the time it randomly takes up all of my CPU usage. I never have more than 1 or two windows open with not too much in them, and I have to restart and lose whatever I'm doing. In general, my comp runs a lot slower than before I installed AIM+. I run Windows 2000 and AIM version 4.7.2480. Please get back to us.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Do you mean that your computer is running slowly in general since you installed AIM+, or only when you're running AIM+? Have you tried running AIM without AIM+ to see if this problem occurs without AIM+ now, as opposed to what happened before you installed AIM+? Do you have transparency turned on in AIM+? All of this information would be helpful :).
-Mark
Big-O Software

Post by Guest »

My computer doesn't run slowly, it just randomly uses 100% of CPU power. Again, this does not happen when running JUST AIM.

Post by Guest »

I'm having this same problem. I'm running winxp, and after opening up my windows task manager, I noticed that AIM uses up about 50% of my CPU when I'm running AIM+ and just idling. The memory usage also goes sky high, about 43 K. However, when I don't run AIM+, AIM uses almost no CPU power.
krazieecko
Just Registered
Just Registered

cpu usage

Post by krazieecko »

yeah im having the same problems AIM+ uses alot of my cpu usually keeps it up at a constant 80-90% at all times and causes alot of programs (mostly iexplorer) to be slow or crash.

i am running AIM+ v 2.1.1 and AIM v 4.8beta
AIM 4.8.2646
AIM+ 2.2
WIN98
P3 733MHZ
datumax

Possibly

Post by datumax »

I think I may be experiencing the same with Windows XP Professional, and AIM+ 2.11. I've been using Trillian all weekend and haven't had any problems all weekend.
hartmanw

same problem

Post by hartmanw »

I run win xp professional....when i use AIM and AIM+ it also randomly uses 100% CPU but it reports AIM using it, not AIM+, but it is definitely AIM+'s problem. I has to uninstall both and install AIM in a different directory to get rid of the problem. So now, no transparency :(